News around the club and about former BMG players/managers

Discussion in 'Borussia Moenchengladbach' started by Borussia, Sep 14, 2009.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the site Sport-Auktion is shutting down at the end of the year. It's where I got some really cool stuff from the locker room. Hoping to get a puma top before they close. They used to have 30+ teams from all levels, and i have a lot of stuff at home from various teams. One of my favorites is a match worn Bradley jersey from Gladbach--and a ton of coffee cups I use on a regular basis (out of their Christmas packages). But that dropped to just a handful of teams this season, so the handwriting was on the wall.

2. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    had problems to 'stay on the ball' the last two weeks which is a pity because there is so much happening right now
    the Bayern match is all over but was pushed to the periphery today

there was a shout of joy when I got my morning newspaper from the mailbox: on the frontpage a pic of Weisweiler and Netzer sitting side by side on two balls on Bökelberg's holy ground... today it's the 100th birthday of the creator of the Borussia-myth... and every paper has a story
    Netzer: "He created Borussia and he created me." [Weisweiler when Netzer opened his discotheque: "This is the end!"]
    well actually Weisweiler was the co-founder of 'First Footballclub Goattown', a club he was somewhat divided about: loosing was generally forbidden under Weisweiler but against Cologne? even more! well, that created the 'derby'
    he came to Borussia not before '64 but when he took charge Borussia was a provincial soccer team and when he left "ended an exciting eleven years of Weisweiler in Mönchengladbach, a time in which he indelibly engraved the club in German and European football history, and when Borussia Mönchengladbach produced first class talent in an unrivaled fashion."
    after chancelor Adenauer and cardinal Höffner he was just the third who got a funeral mass at the Kölner Dom (in '83), 4000 mourners in the cathedral and 15000 in front of it they say (incl. very strange occurences involving people on the hunt for an obituary picture)
    not an easy character at all (Berti Vogts told that Cruyff called him from Barcelona and said something like "Well, he's a little bit strange, isn't he?"); highly ambitious and never mincing his words (only getting tame when his wife was around!)

Q: Is there sometimes a little bit too much of transfiguration?
    Bonhof: "No, everything is doing justice to him... I remember meeting Berti Vogts and Günter Netzer at Munich Airport. We nearly missed the plane because we got carried away raving about Weisweiler."

the club is starting a special exhibition in the new museum and at the beginning of next year there will be a TV-doc about Weisweiler's special relationship to Israel

back to the saturday match:
    "It's strange but also incredibly beautiful, that the game almost coincides with his 100th birthday. I firmly believe in a victory for Borussia." ... "The most beautiful gift for Hennes would be Gladbach becoming Meister again. He would be very happy about that. The team deservedly is on top. They will pull it through.
    (Gisela, Hennes Weisweiler's widow)

Bazi, kgilbert78 and LuckyStriker repped this.
  3. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    on christmas Hans-Jörg CRIENS, only 59 years old, suddenly died from a heart attack
    if I had to name 5 players who symbolize Gladbach FOR ME, he would be one of them!
    he ranks No.3 in Borussia's eternal list of goal scorers but other than No.1 (Heynckes) and No.2 (Laumen) he has never played in a great team which easily supplied him with scoring opportunities
    I always liked that soccer had (and somewhat still has) a place for players like him: he was neither small & agile nor much of an athlete and running never looked like 2nd nature to him... but he could read the flow of a match, analyze the space (and were it would 'open') and when the pass came he was always there!
    and he (kind of) continues to be 'there': Criens now rests in Eicken's burial church, barely 200 metres distance away from the old place of the legendary Bökelberg... r.i.p. Hans-Jörg, it's a pity you can't continue to observe Borussia's remarkable upturn...

p.s.
    Egbo who didn't make it at Borussia (and not in Darmstadt either) signed for RB of MLS

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a fun memory from 42 years ago.... I was in Berlin watching HSV vs Hertha at the Olympic Stadium--we kept hearing the scores from folks with radios....

[​IMG]

6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    nice pic!
    (yet again I came across this here some days ago ... https://rp-online.de/sport/fussball...-sind-das-unvollendete-jahrzehnt_aid-50030527 ... it's also nice ;-)

but yours was the right pic at the right time! got quite some media coverage
    and the next day? even more! (all the big papers/sites had their story... I'll have to read most of them when I have time ;-):
    50 years ago, 30th of april 1970 ... the bells in Gladbach-Eicken were ringing when Gladbach won it's first MEISTERSCHAFT
    "I have longed for such a team for 20 years. They made the greatest progress of all top clubs. Constant change between defense and attack - there is rhythm in it." [Sepp Herberger, national coach from 1936 to 1964]
    I like the pics here: https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussba...fohlen-a-7ed7b125-3860-4052-ace1-1f46a75ad3e9
    Netzer classy like a Roman legionary!
    and the dog biting our ex-coach Rausch in his ar... ;-)

seems you have quite come around in the glorious times and have a lot of live experiences of the period... I wish I had!... recently there was once again a best-Gladbach-team-of-all-times-SURVEY and I asked myself if the majority of the participating supporters has actually WATCHED the legends from back then playing for an ENTIRE game at all...

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I only got to see Gladbech live a couple of times, when I lived in Germany. What we got in the US, in those days, was an hour long cut of the 90 minute game. But I've seen Berti, and Hacki, and Bonhoff, and Kleff with my own eyes. Breitner, Grabowski, Holzenbein, Flohe, Schumacher, and Keegan. Daglish and Clemence too. I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Blueberry_night repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What a season finish! Quite a difference to former coach Hecking, isn't it?

I can't wait for the CL group stage :eek::D I hope we will see some legendary clubs.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool would be nice.

Dage repped this.
  11. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats. One of the best teams to watch in the BL. Hope you get some big matches in the CL next season.

Also hopefully Neuhaus gets a NT call soon. Great player.

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS and Dage repped this.
  12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    another financial provider :-( ... and not exactly a super big player like our undisputable greatness deserves ;-) ... at least they plan to become biggest European online broker soon (and they don't need to sack staff to finance their sponsoring in corona-times) ... some expected a sponsor who will do a lot for Borussia in Asia but at the end we got a more 'regional' partner (the CEO is from D'dorf and he showed up in person because in his view sponsoring is a matter for the boss) ... regional is ok for me, we are and stay 'down to earth'... and most important: the yellow bar is gone! hallelujah! kits and wonders! I was afraid of an orange bar but kit looks ok to me:
    https://www.gladbachlive.de/news/bo...nsor-flatex-will-meister-werden-13450#new_tab
    some interesting infos:
    + flatex oddly was involved in the financing of some soccer-transfers (not Borussia's, we need no financing we are not S04 ;-)
    + their CEO said they are doing business like Borussia is doing business and that's why it clicked, the keyword was 'wise forward planning'
    + their CEO even used an outlandish word: 'Meisterschaft'... and suddenly there is room for doubt if this is really a s-e-r-i-o-u-s partner ;-))))))

13. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    I hope we beat some legendary clubs!

thanks! and Neuhaus will...
    end of last season he struggled (maybe quite normal for his age, and the whole team didn't look focused anyway)
    then he shined at the U21 EC and there was speculation if it would be the Olympics or the EC in '20 for him
    but a lot of people expected him to be a little bit wary of Rose-soccer
    and in 1st half of season he was: hardworking but Neuhaus often looked like a long jumper who has a monsterjump in him but usually passes over the bar (but also the fine-tuning of Rose wasn't on the same level it currently is)
    2nd half of season it clicked! significantly! quite important: while Zakaria was out it really helped that another midfielder has entered a new level
    and he extended his contract! a very likeable player he is ;-)

Dage and Alex C repped this.
  14. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I mean Postbank did us a favor..after all any logo and color after that ugly YELLOW BRICK would look like a masterpiece out of Michaelangelo's studio

I also agree with banan...at this point we did deserve a much bigger sponsor with a fat cheque...clubs way under us are making more sponsorship money???

:confused::mad::(:ROFLMAO::ninja:o_O:rolleyes::whistling::cautious::thumbsdown:

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given COVID, we're lucky to have a sponsor. The other Borussia lost 45 million Euros this past season according to Kicker.

16. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Guys these new white plain simple kits suck NO??
    I mean what happened to our official color combination of black/green/white??

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our colors officially are black and white (like my high school, actually). When we first won something (the cup in 1960, and the first championship in 1970 for sure), our shirts were simple white with a black collar.

Perhaps our 120th year will bring another championship. If Liverpool did it, we can dream... But realistically....

HANS-GUNTER BRUNS repped this.
  18. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    as far as I know (and I don't know that much) it's only S04 of the clubs 'under us' who are making more sponsorship money... and they are in deep shit: "We can't afford renowned top-players in the NEXT YEARS"...
    "under us" meaning 'old-school' soccer clubs... in this category Borussia overall is top of the class by now ... after end of season some media pointed out that's only Gladbach who are able to compete with the pimped clubs ... last club standing ...
    the thing is: flatex is paying more than P-bank... this and the club's overall financial management may make us look and fare r-e-l-a-t-i-v-e-l-y better than the rest in corona times... BUT the gap towards the clubs which are fed and nurtured from 'big money' can't be bridged at all

it's not a revelation ... but as you said: auomatically an improvement ;-))
    in the last years the other kits often looked better than the 'main'-kit, haven't seen them so far... so there's hope... but PUMA is about tradition not about design ;-)))

Eberl has answered this in today's KICKER ... realistically ;-)... on eyelevel with the Hoenesses for a whole season? it's like him winning the 100 metres against Usain Bolt he told ...

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hecking is out at Hamburg.

20. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    he says he sees himself as a 1.Bundesliga coach... good one, Dieter! (just one tiny side-remark, you should have won just one more match)

21. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i actually love our kits best when we wear white tops and black shorts...its really old school yet very current...but i have a weakness for some green...even if its a narrow stripe;):ROFLMAO::rolleyes::cool::p
    Seems like there is no future for Ibo at Gladbach either!

22. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seems like MAX already has started his magic for the new season
    We may have a very versatile all-rounder coming from RBL..and has played under rose for about 5 years
    Also we are after a loan with Barcelona for a very dynamic player at storm
    looked up both layers and they seem to be the real deal
    No politics here...i like the concept...but its getting shoved down my throat by the media...about trump and people that hate him...id say most of the people that hate him dont even have a reason and look more like new england bandwagon fans.The guy really knows who are the ones that wanna level USA down to ashes..i had to vent guys sorry:confused::mad::confused::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

23. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ays-hes-staying-Borussia-Monchengladbach.html
    this is the key part:
    ‘But I’ve said often enough how good things are for me in Gladbach. The current team has great potential and the coach has brought a huge added value for us. ‘The club is in the process of building something with the great fans and the environment. I also have big goals with the club and of course I’m still tied into a contract.’
    he also told he wants to stay for longer in case the key players will stay...

[Ginter and Elvedi aren't getting the credit they deserve because they aren't easy phantasy-prey for media (and some supporters) like Zak, Neuhaus, Thuram, Embolo, Sommer etc are... after this season they definitely are a state of the art CB-duo]

don't think the Aaronson-rumor https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...aronson-bundesligas-gladbach-summer-wish-list is coming true (offense seems to be fully loaded), could have been really interesting though

Borussia's 120th birthday was on Saturday! the club opted for a silent celebration with everybody staying at home but the usual suspects didn't play along:

24. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    did I really write "phantasy"?
    I think I need a caregiver
    well, youl live and learn
    or, at least, live...

anyway, very interesting article here:
    https://theathletic.com/1669125/2020/03/16/rene-maric-borussia-monchengladbach/
    right, "There are infinite decisions made in a game of football."

'offense fully loaded' I wrote above, I forgot to mention the apparently still open spot for -most likely- Barca's Pedri... 'most likely' meaning him being the preferred candidate (2 season loan)... Eberl confirmed Borussia's interest and acc. to SKY the clubs already video-conferenced... seems Barcelona will decide after the CL-tournament... Pedri is only 17 but has already a season of men-soccer (spanish second divison) in his bones... my gut feeling? he's not coming... which would be a pity: he (like Iniesta) definitely knows about space, about where his teammates are (and where they will be a few seconds away)... don't know about his backyard abilities though...
    apart from another quarter(at best)-baked Barcelona-talent-rumor (Moriba) there isn't much... it's so slow that even a Borusse who refuses to answer a 500€-quiz-question in TV (answer: 1.FC Köln comment: not in my lifetime) gets plenty of media-coverage...

25. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    there have been slight rumors already last summer and some days ago the name of Lazaro https://www.transfermarkt.com/valentino-lazaro/profil/spieler/186368 popped up again and the rumors told us that Gladbach and Lazaro had reached an agreement quite fast
    now it seems Inter has agreed too

like Wolf another loan-deal (with option to buy I guess)
    like Wolf Lazaro‘s season was very unsatisfactory
    like Wolf he is quite flexible (our coach obviously is looking for players which enable him to switch tactics without having to substitute players)
    like Wolf Lazaro is a former Rose disciple
    like Wolf he is Austrian (which means that the right flank of the Austrian national team will also Borussia‘s right flank next season, from time to time at least)

acc. to AZ Eberl is still after Pedri (and already wanted to sign him in January)
    not sure about that: Barcelona got murdered (cold blooded as spanish magazine GOAL told us) and desperately needs fresh blood, Eberl spoke of just TWO quality-additions and even if there will be a third: shouldn‘t this be a more defensive one? (then again Rose, without turning an eyelid, puts Neuhaus (or even Hofmann) on ‚6‘, so what do I know...

nothing from the departure department: I do not see noteworthy playing time for Lang, Traoré, Bennetts, Villalba, Müsel... (Poulsen is out for months)
    (like Ginter Elvedi has pointed out that Gladbach is the place to be ;-)