news and notes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by stevengoff, Oct 8, 2003.

1. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah you're right, I lost my perspective there on what's TRULY important. My apologies. F Metro. GO FIRE!!!

2. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Bud, you sound like you're on the fringe of sanity and reason.

And that's fine, I guess. MLS needs lunatics like you. Just stop pretending that you're capable of offering logical reasons and actual arguments for your feelings. You're just wrong about this, despite always losing arguments.

I mean, you don't even seem capable of making a decent case for your beliefs. What's up with that?

So you're the lunatic fringe. Fine with me, and good for you: having watched the Metros play terrible soccer for years, I can guess how disheartening the last three years have been for DC fans, and you're totally justified in your incoherent misery.

But as far as discussions of league favoritism go (do you not even realize MLS has nothing to do with the US Open Cup?): you're either not very smart, or you're crazed. I'll go with the latter-- it's more fun.

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    What's good for me, someone professed to be on the lunatic fringe, is wasting time at work w/self-anointed geniuses like yourself! Can't wait to get outta work today in an hour and start the weekend. Got a hot date next week-feeling good about how it might turn out-and my knee surgery is 2 months old and I'm doing fine now

You may as well quit calling me names, cause it just goes nowhere. I mean, does it seem like I care in the least bit what you think of me? I could care less about my internet board reputation

.....as far as discussions of league favoritism go (do you not even realize MLS has nothing to do with the US Open Cup?): you're either not very smart, or you're crazed.

Yeah right. MLS doesn't have anything to do w/the US Open Cup. You sure you don't speak for HQ? And one more thing before you go-F METRO

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I just had to comment on something. The idea that the League does not show favoritism towards certain teams is both wrong and upsetting. The League has clearly made attempts over the past 8 seasons to place certain players on certain teams and made signings for the benefit of one team over another. There have been players that specifically asked to go to a certain team or area (Donovan, Convey, Magee, etc.) and teams that wanted a certain player despite having the funds or allocation (Hernandez, Bo, Justinwiak, etc.). There's no way that you can deny that the League has found ways to validate these moves. Some are obvious, i.e. DC signs Convey in the draft, NY/NJ sign Magee. Others are more ambiguous. San Jose uses a Discovery Pick to sign J. and then trades him to the Metros. Now if NY/NJ trades for a Discovery Pick I have no problem. It's the way that certain teams are able to make these transactions that bothers me. If everything was out in the open and the League was honest about it, then fewer fans would have a problem with it. The League doesn't help itself when it makes these moves look secretive. It shows a lack of trust with fans, teams, and players. This offseason could be even worse, given that San Diego is close to being named an expansion team and there would be an expansion draft. Add to that, the League is considering changing the number or internationals they can sign and it's even worse. The League needs to make rules and stand by them completely. A bend here and a bend there make the League structure look shady and coruptible. I don't want that as a fan. I want the League to be honest and forthright with all its decisions and transactions.