News: American investors talk takeover with Coventry

Discussion in 'FC Dallas News' started by BigSoccer Bot, Mar 8, 2007.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
  2. FF_Spectre

FF_Spectre New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    RAF Lakenheath, UK
    This is big news over here. It seems like every month another english team is bought up by Americans. Before long the entire Premiership will be owned by Americans.

3. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you think that, as a group or as individuals, American owners are interested in changing anything about the league structurally? like creating a salary cap, for example?

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    If it furthers their goals of making money they'll do whatever. I don't they really care. But....none of these guys are dumb enough to run these clubs without well versed "football" guys advising them. And those people will tell them that unless Spain, Italy, Germany and France also institute salary caps, to do so would be to forgoe an incredible amount of revenue in European competition. So, they will wisely decide not to. These men aren't arrogant enough to think they know better than those below them who truly understand the English and European soccer market.

5. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good thoughts. I was thinking about the salary cap primarily as a money-saver, but you're right that unless Italy and Spain at least were to follow suit, most of the big talent would go there and the big English teams would suffer in European competitions. but I think the owners of the Milwalls and Aston Villas, if that's to be the sort of team most investors go after, would be willing to make that "sacrifice" should they get the clout to do so.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And they don't. The Premiership, being separate from the rest of the FA organization, will make rules that are best for ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.....rules that further their ability to qualify for and advance in the Champions League. Unless Platini gets his way and every country will be limited to 3 clubs, the formula used to determine how many slots each league gets is based on results. The Premiership will not institute a rule that will harm their clubs' results in the Champions League and risks losing a slot.

7. Bob Bones

Bob Bones New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Coventry is a great club fallen on hard times, i welcome this investment with open arms as long as it is a benifit for the club. Lets hope they go back to the premiership where they belong.

PUSB