News: 2022 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Feb 21, 2022.

1. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I wonder if the Rapids FO is a fan of Calvin and Hobbes:

D4BC05B3-EDED-481D-A82D-7EA2E418AC34.png

Sports Yak, AlbertCamus, jspsam and 5 others repped this.
  2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the unfortunate reality of the team's situation... If there is any expectation of having a competitive team next year, it needs to start with this window. Never mind this year since Padraig and Co. seemed to have casually thrown that away weeks ago.

Fast forward to a week from now, and if we still have signed no one, a rebuild for 2023 starts looking like a rebuild for 2024, or 2025, or the pot of gold end of the rainbow. If we fail to bring in anyone in the next week, I can't comprehend how anyone not on the company payroll would find this acceptable or defensible.

And even if we sign somebody this window, it still may be a prolonged "rebuild", because a quick rebuild would require Padraig to sign multiple impact players in a single window...which he all know is something that's proven to be quite elusive for him.

Sports Yak, unkiemark and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    safcfan and AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn. Another midfielder. Gutierrez was decent at SKC. Not a world beater by any stretch. IIRC, he was a DP. Not sure he consistently played at a DP level either. He has to be in his early 30’s, too. This wouldn’t move the needle much for me. I feel like if want to go the South American route, there’s some better options out there. I’d look for a forward. But hey… that’s me and that’s too obvious, right?

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked for a forward and got Zardes. That didn't work out, mainly because we aren't providing enough service. Now I would have gone for a winger, not a central mid, but I think our midfield needs are higher than our striker needs right now.

SccrDon, m vann and safcfan repped this.
  6. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And to think it was only one year ago that we were riding high. Total excitement. Hard not to get the feeling the FO is satisfied with a great run once every five years.

COMtnGuy, safcfan and AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have clarified. I would go for winger - a winged forward - to play opposite of Lewis in a 4-3-3. That’s if we can shift away from the 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 that appears we’ve been playing.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy, JasonMa and m vann repped this.
  9. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am ok with us pulling in a few seasoned veterans. We have a large number of young players for the future, wouldn't hurt to have a few more 1-2 year immediate impact players.

Given his understanding of mls and good track record (when not injured), I am good with this. Add a defender and we are looking a lot better.

safcfan repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1553419679309303810 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the bonkers 4-4 draw between Portland and Minnesota.

Good news for us: both Emmanuel Reynoso and Robin Lod got yellow cards that will keep them out of the game against us. So that's something, anyway!

COMtnGuy, Rod1916 and SccrDon repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1554192158407548928 is not a valid tweet id

13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1554624129881387008 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At halftime last night I was super depressed about a transfer window yielding only Nicholson, Priso, and Gutiérrez. I'd give that a D+.

But then we came back and won a silly game and I felt a bit better.

Quinn 33, AlbertCamus, SccrDon and 3 others repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — The Colorado Rapids have acquired midfielder Felipe Gutiérrez from Chilean side C.D. Universidad Católica on loan for the remainder of the 2022 MLS season, the club announced today. Sporting Kansas City will receive $50,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money (GAM) from the Rapids in exchange for Gutiérrez’s MLS priority.

Andy126, COMtnGuy and AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see. A guy who was good for SKC when he was healthy a few years ago, but frequently wasn't healthy, and will be 32 in October. We didn't overspend, but usually when you don't spend much you don't get much.

Sure hope he helps. We have no creativity in midfield (unless you consider Rubio a midfielder).

19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing says long-term planning like a short-term loan for an injury-prove, over-the-hill player. It'll also probably take him multiple games to acclimatize and get used to the team too (as is Rapids tradition), since Padraig is incapable of signing guys that are good to go on Day 1.

Color me unimpressed.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  21. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Another thing wearing me out this year is Marcelo continually saying, “it’s tiny mistakes.” What does he consider to be a major mistake? Getting into an accident on the highway and missing the game?

Not marking a man is a major mistake. Intentionally kicking the ball to the other team is a major mistake. Pulling down a player by his shoulders is a major mistake.

AlbertCamus, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #472 JasonMa, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    I've heard a rumor from multiple sources today that a deal was "done", however Tom Bogert just poured water on it, saying that the deal is over. That was the only rumor I had heard, so if accurate Smith's talk after the MAK trade about a "very active" window amounted to one short-term loan for a 31 year-old midfielder.

Not that adding one more player would suddenly turn it into a good window. The lack of action in the last month was, to say the least, a disappointment and its really a borderline disaster for the team. While I think we're greatly underperforming our talent this season, without significant reinforcements I don't see how we rebound to much more than barely a playoff team in 2023. That improvement needed to start now, and it apparently didn't.

Sports Yak, m vann, Quinn 33 and 2 others repped this.
  23. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was there any indication at all what kind of player this deal involved?

What a disappointment. There needs to be a "Come to Jesus" moment in the organization about keeping up with the rest of the league. (But we've thought that for years)

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There needs to be a "Fire Padraig Smith" moment.