Newly Elected Parliament Convenes in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt in the Hat, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/19/i...&en=9b47cb09bc8a308c&ei=5094&partner=homepage

KABUL, Afghanistan, Dec. 19 - Afghanistan's first democratically elected Parliament in more than 30 years convened today amid heavy security, and was sworn in before President Hamid Karzai, the former king, Muhammad Zaher Shah and foreign dignitaries, in a moment of national pride at the country's success in emerging from decades of conflict.

Parliament members attending the inaugural session of the National Assembly in Kabul.
    "This assembly is a sign of us regaining our honor," President Karzai said in a speech to the 351 members of both upper and lower houses, cabinet members and guests. "This dear Afghanistan has risen again from the ashes," he said, pausing to gain control of his emotions.

More wonderful news for the entire world. Congrats Afghanistan

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how they gave the secret service the security search treatment. Its in the Dick Cheney thread.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Malalai Joya interviewed on the radio this morning. Now that was worth the price of admission. She's in there with (putative) warlords and former Talibanis and not backing down an inch.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...ry/LAC/20051219/AFGHAN19/TPInternational/Asia

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Karzai thanks Iran's contribution to Afghan reconstruction