Newly Adopted Community Forum Guidelines

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jan 11, 2006.

1. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Jeez, AM, lighten up. The guy has a good point - as do many posters in this thread (and the dozens of others it spawned) - about how popular rep has been with posters. Do you know how many times have I been to other threads on other boards and wish there was an "Add to reputation" button? Tons... It was a great system, or so many of us thought.

His making fun of BS for choosing to do this in-house and yet ask us to rate the mods is funny. If you don't think so, you might be "too close" to the situation lol

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never cared or thought much of the rep system to begin with and I'm still that. When I joined BS 5 years ago, the titles were based on post counts and I thought that was just fine - Newbie, Member, Senior Member, Adict, etc.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay, so the standard response when someone points out a valid operational/business concern is that they should "lighten up."

Maybe you should "get a clue."

We can both play the platitude game.

4. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Reeeeeped!!!!! that was a quality post my friend.

wait,

what the hell for?

How long are we gonna have to wait for their "last and final step"(getting rid of rep completely)? paging BSX!!! paging BSX!!! :rolleyes:

5. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    i was never a fan of getting more points off someone with a lot of rep and getting less of somebody else.
    i think the rep system confined me to the madrid forum. once whilst in the arsenal forum i was crucified for making reasoning for their dip in form. this resulted in me getting vast amounts of neg rep and nearly pushed me over the edge into gettin red nips as opposed to green.

i always thought it was a bit pointless. you walk into a bar or club, you dont have green nippled on your forehead saying how you are viewed in that bar.
    same with post count, you walk into a bar you try and pull a hot looking lady, but she has none of it because it is your first time there. in essence thats what was going on here. people were not being treated similarly because they were newbies etc.

having said that i dont know why rep is now ineffective and about to be scrapped. i always didnt like it, but some people thrived of it and enjoyed the challenge of getting points, others h8td it. could those who h8td not jus ignore it??

6. Hucsman

Hucsman Football Ayatollah

Jun 26, 2005
    México
    Ditto. A good crack in WR could boost you two nipples.

7. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice point. So why is join date still there?

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I've just realised that you have increased the size of profile pics to 300x300 and 293 kb and avatars to 125x125 and 35.2kb....why?

Surely it would make more sense to have this the other way around. How many people actually see a persons profile page? It's not a case of requesting you use more space, just simply swap the limits around.

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the issue of newbies posting new threads:

I can see the point of making them contribute first before starting a thread. Usually newbie threads are not well-thought out. But..we've probably all seen a thread started by a new poster who lurked around enough, and has enough soccer knowledge, to post a good new thread. Also, not every post can fit into an existing thread without going wildly off-topic. How about if a new thread by a newbie has to be looked at by a moderator before it goes live?

Practically speaking, maybe newbies trying to start a new thread should get the suggestion to PM the moderator to suggest a topic.

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course not, why would any business want to consult its customers before changing a popular product? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Repped.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Holy crap, you had to go back over 20 years to find an example.

Gee, you're really kewl.

13. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 300x300 profile pics was a bit big, mine is huge at the minute. :D

Good job with the increased avatar size though, 125x125 seems to be perfect.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well could they not just change the size of the files allowed?

15. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    This reminds me... I do recall suggesting, shortly after it was implemented, that rep would best be "forum specific".
    I don't think I need to highlight why...
    Makes even more sense now.

16. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It would be a little too large on every post.

17. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he meant the size of the file, that it should be the other way around.

If I'm right, he meant should avatars not be 125x125 and 295 kb, with profile pics being 300x300 and 35.2 kb.

300x300 on the every post would be crazy, that's why I dont believe that that is what he meant.

18. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that newbies should be allowed to start new threads in some form. As was alreadt stated they may be knowledgeable and just not have time to post often on BS. Besides this reason though, newbies should be allowed to post because they often casual or new US soccer fans looking for information about American soccer. This is one of the few places where such a person could go to get detailed answers to questions about American soccer.

I know that sometimes a newbie will start a thread like "How come Tim Howard doesn't start for Man U..." and everyone will get all anoyed and say we've gone over this a million times and then the thread becomes a newbie bashing fiesta and that this is what they want to prevent.

Isn't this site supposed to be about helping the American soccer fanbase grow (in both numbers and knowledge)? Instead of restricting the newbies, we should encourage more restraint of the senior members and educate that person about the situation or point them to the relavant thread on the subject.

If these threads are too many or too annoying to the other members then we could have a new forum like "USA Men Q&A"

19. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't think it would make any more sense to have 20 300k avatars on one page. Think about the load.

20. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    i think its a terrible idea not to allow newbies to post a new thread.
    when i joined BS 2 years ago it was because i was going to madrid and was seeking advice. to do this i had to start a new thread as at that time there were no stickies on the topic.
    the info i received was invaluable, and like me many other members actually join BS for that purpose, but then stay as members and continue to post.
    i think it will certainly decrease the number of people that use and join the site. i myself wold not have done if this rule was in place 2 years ago.
    i suggest this rule be changed back. i thought the mods were in place to control the startup of new threads, so if one was really started out of stupidity it can just as easy be closed.

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's an interesting point. I wonder how many folks join because they've got a question to ask and then end up staying.

22. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but that's just what I got from Toon² post.

Profile pics need a bigger kb size due to the fact that they're mostly digital images, right?

23. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    BS has gotta b careful, the rate of ppl joining could decrease if they cant join to ask a Q.
    also, will it not encourage newbies to make numerous amounts of pointless posts in other threads, so they are able to start them themselves??

i think its got 'bad idea' written all over it!

EDIT: has the ability to delete a post gone too??
    i posted the same message twice by acident in another thread, but since the 'improvements' have taken place i cant seem to be able to delete one of them

24. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I agree. The repetitive annoying posts are a small price to pay in exchange for allowing people to ask a relevant question that may be all they came for - we can always lock/ignore the crap threads.

25. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, I'm in agreement with that too. We haven't turned off the newbie posting yet as we finish thinking thru those ramifications.