Rumor: Newcastle's new era transfers

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Jun 24, 2022.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, we have:

Nick Pope: Done
    Sven Botman: Agreed
    Ekitike: Stalled by agent

I don't see Pope as much of an upgrade, except as less prone to injury. Botman looks like a big deal, but Dan Burn has been so solid. Maybe he'll start ahead of Schär. Then there is a strong need for a new striker. If Ekitike is going to be overpriced, we may as well spend next-tier money on a player who's more established. So far, the new management has shown themselves adept at pursuing multiple targets and dropping the problem children who don't really want to sign. Let's hope they move on quickly and pick up at least a FW and an AM/RW.

Also, we should be hearing more about players already out of the plan being shipped out, but it's probably hard to find takers.

2. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugo Ekitike close to a move to PSG. He was just stalling us to keep us as an option and drive up his price. At least it's good news we won't be dealing with his deceitful agent.

A quality forward is what will decide how high we can go this season. I'm looking forward to the next reliable rumor.

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly I was wrong about Pope being an upgrade on Dubravka. He made such an impact against Man City, claiming balls that I am not convinced Dubravka would have. His shot stopping has been excellent too. Now I see it.

News today is that Alexander Isak will be signed for €70m! That would have to be the end of the transfer budget, wouldn't it? It also sounds wildly overpriced. Until today, we were talking about Joao Pedro at £30m, and we seemed reluctant to pay it. It certainly seems like it might have been better to go with a bigger name earlier in the window.

Regardless, a striker will come in and cover for Wilson, which may leave us a little thin in other areas, but it's a complete squad that can challenge the top 6 when healthy, if the Manchester City match is anything to go by. How high can this team finish?

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I'd try to do a final list of transfers, there were some quick exits right at the end of the window.

IN
    Code:
    Matt Targett       £15m    Aston Villa          LB
    Nick Pope          £10m    Burnley              GK
    Sven Botman        £35m    Lille                CB
    Alexander Isak     £58m    Real Sociedad        FW

OUT
    Code:
    Isaac Hayden       Loan    Norwich          Loan with obligation to buy
    Freddie Woodman    ???     PNE
    Jeff Hendrick      Loan    Reading          Until end of contract
    Ciaran Clark       Loan    Sheffield Utd    Until end of contract
    Dwight Gayle       Free    Stoke
    Martin Dubravka    £2m     Man Utd          £6m option to buy
    Fede Fernandez     Free    Elche
    Matty Longstaff    Loan    Colchester       Until Jan - which is the end of his contract

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the 25 man squad was announced this week, Mark Gillespie was left out, as well as Emil Krafth, but only due to injury. There you have it. Our 2022 Newcastle United squad.

7. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta imagine the Saudis are watching the developments with Citeh pretty closely.

8. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure. Hopefully, we get some legit, but healthy sponsorship revenue soon, though. I'm surprised we could afford to sign Gordon. According to Deloitte, wages were 95% of revenue last year.

I don't think the wheels of justice turn fast enough to give them their punishment this season, unfortunately. Champions League money would be a huge boost to our revenue capped development. It would help recruitment, too. With luck, it'll happen anyway

9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yah. Making the UCL would be a big boost to revenue and the expectation to spend. As well as an attractant to the talent.

Now the Emir of Qatar wants to buy ManU. It’s been a game of the rich for a long time. But I think the ownership shifts are making enough heads turn that they’ll try to use Citeh to curb some of the excess.