Newcastle vs The Arsenal Pre/During/Post Matchday Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TxTechGooner, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    [​IMG]

Where: St James' Park
    When: Saturday, August 13th
    Time: 5:30 local (12:30 Eastern)

Let's do this boys.

2. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be really nice to start off with a win. And it's nice that we're actually away as I don't know how support would be at home. Here is to starting off the league with three points.

3. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    3pts and no more injuries!

Embarrassing that I am wishing for this already...

4. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    The big question is who starts. Currently Wilshere/RVP/Kos/Vermaelen/Nasri/Walcott is injured. I think theres even more.

5. ithacat

ithacat Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping the injuries to Gibbs, Koscielny, and Vermaelen aren't too bad, or that backline is going to be a wreck.

6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there is an impeccably timed round of international this midweek - so stay tuned.

7. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  8. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We will be fielding an unbelievably weak team, so a draw would be a good result.

9. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    dude, if we had newcastle's team, you would be on suicide watch.
    they aren't that good.

diaby won't play so no chance of last year's repeat performance.

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Our team is worth far less than the sum of its parts, and we have shown to be more than capable of losing to anyone. A draw away to Newcastle will be a good result given who will be taking the field.

11. Flyemirates2491

Mar 8, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    haha sure man. Just because we've become accustomed to botching games, doesn't mean a draw is a good result. We should be winning this game, no question.

12. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we were marching out Nasri, Cesc, RVP, Wilshere - sure, a win would be expected.

On the other hand, the team below could lose to anyone.

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Arshavin, Chamakh, Gervinho, Rosicky, Ramsey, Song, Traore, Vermaelen, Djourou, Sagna, Szczesny[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

13. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    jesus, its going to be a long year. hahahaha

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding!

Hey, Gervinho, welcome to the club. No pressure or anything, but go win us every game, please. :D

15. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Ba, Ameobi, Guitierrez, Cabaye, Tiote, Vuckic, Enrique, Coloccini, Taylor, Simpson, Krul[/LINEUP-4-4-2]
    i imagine we might see something like this.
    not a half bad team really. could use a real goalscorer.

16. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Let me put this in perspective. My local USL team Orlando City beat Newcastle 1-0 with us missing quite a few opportunities. Thats USL not even MLS. If we manage to tie draw them id consider it a huge embarrassment.

17. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me add another perspective. My "local" MLS team, Columbus Crew, who are currently top of the Eastern Conference, were beaten 3-0 by Newcastle (admittedly, our keeper was sent off just before half). Interestingly, the higher up the ladder they went on their tour, the better they did -- lost to the USL team, drew with New England, who are well down in the standings, and beat us. Against the Crew, they never looked like they broke a sweat, and we never looked like scoring. Both teams played a reasonable number of their first 11 for a good bit of the game.

Do matchups with USL and MLS teams on a pre-season tour mean anything? Probably not.

18. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we can build up a safe four goal lead...

19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fairly certain I'm going to miss this one too. Shit. :(

20. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is why Arsene is a bad man manager. Nik Bendtner should have been included in a full pre-season schedule.

As things stand he is no closer to a move away but now he is even more alienated, unfit, lacks sharpness and is still a much better option than Chamakh.

Wenger is loosing the plot on so many levels. We are now stuck with a decent player who hasnt been prepared to play and help Arsenal to win some games.

Its a complete joke and my confidence in Wenger is nose diving.

21. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    lol :D

oh wait...

:(

22. shblando

shblando Member

Nov 5, 2007

Completely agreed. If Wenger starts Chamakh after how he has looked in preseason, it will be another indication of just how stubborn/stupid half his brain is. I can understand bringing him in in the 70th or so if it seems like we can't find a way through. But more than likely, this will be an up and down game with Newcastle feeling they have (another) chance to embarass us and start there season off with an emphatic victory. That being so, I wish Wenger would at least consider Walcott in the middle, if healthy, with Arshavin and Gervinho on the wings. I also hope he considers both Song and Frimpong to start, because with Ramsey-song-roscicky sitting in front of Djourou and Squillaci, we could easily be in for the worst season opener in a long long time.

23. TxTechGooner

Feb 24, 2003
    [LINEUP-4-3-3]Gervinho, Van Persie, Walcott, Song, Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Sagna, Szczesny[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

be tempted to play nasri, just not sure what the chemistry is like with that guy anymore.

24. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ba is a real goal scorer. 0.4 goals per game over his career and scored seven times in the Prem in just twelve games for a poor West Ham last season. In fact it is really seven in 10.5 games since he played 45m total over the other two games. I would expect him to score against our backline unless they play much better than we've see in preseason. I'm hoping that the defense will show up once the real games start but I'm not too optimistic.

25. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nasri has never impressed me in the middle (in his limited opportunities). He is pretty unproductive and hasnt got the guile to play the killer ball like Cesc has.