Newcastle UTD to tour US next summer.

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Mel B, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Get in. Quite fancy a holiday to the States. Then Americans can watch real football for a change.

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    You're just a bucket of fun.

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I hope this is sarcasm but seeing as you have a red nipple then probably not.

4. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It doesnt look like a nipple, looks more like a card. It was sarcasm, some of the top guys in the Premier League are American.

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    fair enough but sarcasm is hard to gauge through text. that's what the smilies are there for. :)

6. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Righty Ho fella. :)

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Super. Northeast hooligans on Holiday, what a treat for us. I will alert the Detroit Pistons fans that you will be stateside.

I will bet this "tour" is nothing more than a seven day camp with maybe one or two games withMLS sides. Unless you are Manchester United, the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool didn't draw so well here last year, so a tour of Newcastle would not be a financial success.

Souness was here a couple of years ago with Blackburn, and now MLS has an endorsement agreement with Adidas.

I guess the big Adidas clubs (AC Milan, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich) were all busy so Adidas is going with Newcastle.

8. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That'll be it. Nail on head. Pre-Season games are only supposed to get the lads fit for kick off on the 19th August. Believe me mate, it will be a financial success the Mags doing a Tour over here.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I suppose you are correct. After those GB Pounds are converted into US $$$, the spike in liquor sales will make this a huge financial success for the tavern owners and the State taxing authorities.

10. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Not to mention the Accident and Emergancy department of the local hospital. Geordies abroad are class.

11. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I saw Newcastle play DC United about 5-7 years ago at RFK. Anyone else there?

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Another little known fact was that Sunderland and Nottinham Forest were both here last year too.

I have to disagree with the Chelsea, Liverpool, etc comment not doing well. You're wrong. I went to the Chelsea games in Pittsburgh (not really regarded as a soccer town at all) and there were probably 25,000 people there to see them play Roma. I was at the Philly game too. It was the day after Man U was there, so you would think it wouldn't be too full. But there was probably 35,000 people there. They were playing AC Milan. What I am trying to say is that you talk like the ChampionsWorld tour is only EPL teams, it's not. When you have all these different teams, you are going to get good crowds. AC Milan (name wise) is on the same level as Man U. These tours will/do draw well. Next year with Man U not coming (going to Japan), with Chelsea branding their name all over the US (they are mentioned in ESPN the Magazine this month, Chelsea Magazine is now at all B&N) people will go to see Chelsea play someone because they know the name. If we were to win the EPL, then we would draw even more. Teams like AC Milan, Roma, Celtic and Liverpool are going to draw well. The games don't need to be a sellout to be successful.

Just my 3 cents.

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I just put a post up. I thought DC won but I wasn't sure so I kept quiet. 3-1 to DC, did Convey have a goal??

14. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know...the last time we at DC United watched Newcastle's version of real football I think the final was 3-1, United ;)

Maybe it's faulty memory...or maybe it's truth. Any other United posters remember?

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I find 20,000 - 30,000 a bit dissapointing for the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Especially Liverpool. I would've thought their following to be bigger.

I get it that they were just friendlies, but I would think 40,000 - 60,000 is where they were shooting for in these matches. I may be wrong.

16. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think so. That would be unrealistic I think. Especially in cities with multiple games like Philly, NY (where else?).

I think 35,000 is good for the Chelsea game in Philly figuring Man U playing Celtic the night before and those are two well supported teams. I mean Stamford Bridge holds 42,000.

17. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I missed that one, but I did see DC United play Spurs about.. oh, 3-4 years ago now? United won that one 1-0, I believe. And this past year, Notts Forest came over to play DC in a friendly.

Needless to say, wearing my Chelsea chirt and DC United scarf at the Spurs game was a lot of fun. :D

18. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy to see any of the above mentioned teams playing in the US, no matter if it is preseason or not. I went to see Everton against a Club America (Mexican Team) in Houston this year. Just good to see the lads out there on the pitch.

19. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Damn, see I had no idea about Everton. I only found out about Sunderland the day before the game. There should be a site with all the English teams games for the summer. I didn't know Blackburn was here a few years ago either.

20. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, a site with all the action would be great. I only heard about the match b/c a friend from Houston called and asked if I still liked English soccer because some team from over there was playing soon!!

21. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope your right! That crap that Man U put on the field in Chicago this summer was ridiculous.

I hope another English team doesn't let us down!

22. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, however, Chelsea fielded a fine team throughout the CHapionsWorld tour, and definitely made my trip to Philly that much more fun. It was sad to miss Robben and Kezman, but amazing to watch Drogba (pre-injury), Duffer, and John Terry in action. :)

23. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Man Utd are shite full stop. You'll be able to watch proper footballers in action mate.

24. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

A true American football fan. Well done. Your getting pos rep for that bonny lad.

( Erm, have to wait 24 hours, but you'll get it. ;) ;) :D )