Newcastle United vs Blackpool match thread, Saturday 11th September 2010

Discussion in 'Blackpool' started by Bispham Seasider, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Bispham Seasider

Bispham Seasider New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Newcastle United vs Blackpool, Premier League
    Saturday 11th September 2010, 3:00pm

Firstly, my apologies for the lateness of this thread but it is here now!! :D

Some very difficult games coming up for the Pool - as if any game in the PL is anything but difficult! But with the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool away coming up it is going to be a tough few weeks, starting with this game tomorrow.

All the eight players who were on international duty all reported back for duty including of course new signings David Carney and Richard Kingson. Likely to play tomorrow is now permanent Blackpool player DJ Campbel following his last minute deadline day signing for a reported £1m fee, believed to be at least £1.25m. Fellow deadline day signing, 19 year old Matt Phillips is already being talked about as one not only for the long-term future but also for the immediate future.

Very likely to miss out is defender Alex Baptiste who suffered a training ground injury out in Latvia last week. However, striker Marlon Harewood should be in the squad. He will be hoping to play as he was on loan at Newcastle last season, playing against Blackpool too!

The match has been overshadowed though with the news today that Head of the Youth Department Gary Parkinson was rushed to hospital with a massive stroke. A former PL player he is just 42 years old and the thoughts of every fan will be with him and his family.

More news as I get it.

2. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh and blind loyalty means I voted for a Blackpool win - even though last season we got well and truly hammered up in Geordie Land 4-1 and their fans are expecting a similar scoreline tomorrow.

3. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh..Bispham!

Thank you...I was waiting for your report....this match is on Saturday as well?

Oh well piss....I suppose I'm going to miss it then. I realized that I can't wake up early for Premier League matches this weekend....I'm in a very bad sleep debt right now...

On top of everything, I had to stay at a coffee shop this week to pound out an essay for school, after getting home from classes that night at 10pm, then wake up at 6:00am to be at work the next day...this playing hell with my insomnia! lol

I also voted for a Blackpool win.

4. garyrenard

garyrenard New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all,

I voted for Blackpool as well. To me, this is one of the most important games of the early season. If Blackpool wants to avoid relegation, these bottom-tier teams are the ones we need to score points off of.

A road win would be super, a road tie would be fine.

5. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Insomnia!!! It is wonderful....... One day I might get to sleep before 3am..... :D I love the phrase "sleep debt" though!!!

And yes I fully agree this is an important fixture because even though Newcastle are a big club (supporter-wise they are massive and their stadium is I think the 3rd biggest club ground in England behind only Arsenal and ManUre), but they are still as quite rightly said
    a lower PL side who we need to be targetting to try and get points out of.

Too many thought that the game against Fulham would be easy but they were UEFA Europa League finalists last season and only just lost in the final. But I'm hoping we can maybe get a draw tomorrow. Sneaking a win of course would be fantastic, especially after Blackpool froze there last season. Perhaps overawed by the surroundings, but this season we have a lot more experienced players who know all about playing at these sort of stadiums.

It will be very interesting to see how many of all the new signings are in the match day squad tomorrow. I can't see Richard Kingson ousting Matt Gilks from the keepers shirt, even though he is a Ghana international and did well at the World Cup. But I can see DJ Campbell starting and maybe even David Carney.

6. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a good feeling about this game. We have almost our full squad (is Keith Southern back yet?) Prediction: 2-1 Blackpool win. :D

7. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very choppy feed here: http://www.iraqgoals.tv/ch1.html

and the sound is for the wrong game (at least that's what I'm hearing *sigh*)

Halftime

Blackpool 1
    Newcastle 0

(Charlie Adam PK)

8. garyrenard

garyrenard New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all good.....2-0 and another road win.

9. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DJ Campbell with the second goal in the 90'.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTXwZ8o8TAM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTXwZ8o8TAM[/ame]

10. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My goodness. WTF is going on??????

I don't know what to say. Many Geordies were expecting to hammer us today. They have not lost at home for well over a year, but today Blackpool not only won but won well with a fully deserved victory with the backing of a 2,000 strong Tangerine Army.

Of course it has to be Charlie who opened the scoring and DJ to add the second.

Ian Holloway in his post-match interview has stressed how hard working the squad are and as he often points out - decent people. And that was evident to see when Charlie scored he held up a shirt in support of Gary Parkinson. He is still in an "extremely critical" condition after suffering a stroke and is now at Hope Hospital in Manchester.

Holloway described today as quite possibly the proudest moment of his football career outside of the Wembley win in May. But he also had to add how yesterday had also been easily the hardest. The players only found out about Parky yesterday, and they have reacted in the right way by going out today and winning this game.

Blackpool are now 4th. I repeat - Blackpool are now 4th. And already the tide is turning, the so called experts who every single one of them said we would finish bottom of the PL, are starting to praise the way we play - an open, expansive, fluid and very entertaining game. Some are starting to realise that we may well actually be able to stay up and not get relegated.

They should perhaps have a word with club president Valeri Belokon. Back in 2006 when he came on board he boldly said that he thought Blackpool would be in the PL within five years. And most people laughed. After all all Blackpool were languishing in League One and struggling. Relegation to League Two was probably more realistic. Yet it has taken just 4 years to achieve his dream for the club.

Now Mr Belokon is talking about Europe. He sees no reason why we cannot see a return to winning a major tournament. And he is talking of aiming for Europe, pointing to Fulham who are a similar sized club to Blackpool. And he is not to be under-estimated. There are still funds available for instance from Belokons transfer fun for Ian Holloway to add to the squad in January.

Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports Soccer Saturday programme spoke this afternoon when the first goal went in saying how the Blackpool fairytale just keeps on going. Where will it all end? Who knows but we have already proved all the critics wrong and this definitely is an amazing season yet again at the seaside.

11. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well the English media are slowly starting to wake up to the Tangerine Dream.

In the top four and currently in the Champions League spot and by luck but by playing superb football. Many in the media laughed when Ian Holloway said he wanted to model Blackpool on Spain; on tika taka football. But not they are starting to realise that not only is it possible in England but it works, it entertains and it wins games.

Of course they all think the bubble will burst, but one or two are starting to mock us less, starting to actually talk about us as maybe not getting relegated - which for jornalists who 100% reckoned we would finish bottom and be relegated is remarkable. And of course they still laugh at the fact "little Blackpool" are in the top four in England. Every single tv programme that had the PL table at the weekend - when it came to saying "and completing the top four in the final Champions League spot are Blackpool", all did it with a smirk, and laughter. Keep it up though as we all find it funny too. Because it proves that PL clubs don't need to be massive, don't need to buy their way to success (and this is success), it can be done with honest endeavour and with decent, hard working players.

Also very evident is the team spirit, their togetherness not only as players, but as a group of friends. And not only the players but also the coaching staff, in fact all the staff. And again the bond between the players and fans is also a factor. All this was made really clear at this game. Every player had a "Parky" t-shirt on. After both goals the scorers (DJ Campbell and Charlie Adam), showed their support for Gary Parkinson - who still remains in a critical condition in hospital - and both dedicated their goals to Parky and his family. After the final whistle all the squad, including even the youth team players taken along for the match day experience, plus all the staff, had a massive group hug on the pitch in front of the 2,000+ travelling Tangerine Army.

I will try to add some of the match reports from the media (links) later.

This is one fan video from the final moments of the match up in the Gods showing how far back some fans are from the pitch at St. James Park!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ-z6G0kQ3A"]YouTube - Newcastle V Blackpool FC last minute[/ame]

12. Bispham Seasider

Aug 11, 2007
    Bispham
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Colin Murray on the BBC's Match Of The Day 2 programme on Sunday came out with a classic line of:

:D

13. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love these videos.

LOVE THEM.

Here's a neat one from my last match.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz2My64N8sk"]YouTube - AC Receiving line 9411[/ame]