Newcastle United transfer rumours and bollox thread 2

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by sarabella, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    Heartily Seconded

2. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jenas Gunners link hots up

Jenas has been left out of the squad for the InterToto Cup on Sunday. Could this signal that there's been a firm approach from Arsenal?

3. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. We're trying to rid the club of the cancers, not bring more in.

4. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Not necessarily. I read somewhere that the early rounds of the Intertoto Cup do not "cup tie" a player.

But, I think you are right. That's the way it looks.

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Strike 3... HE'S OUTTA HERE!

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Personally i think we should atleast make a bid for him..he is a quality player and at £4 million he would be a good first team player.. especially with Bowyer leaving

7. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    The Anelka thing threw me for a loop this morning. My initial reaction was "******** no".

Anelka + Souness = Disaster.

Anelka is not the the striker I was and am hoping for.

That said, I would certainly prefer him to Mark Viduka. And I think that he would do very well for NUFC in a 433. He has the pace, power, and ball skills to be an absolute terror. With him up top, and someone like Boa Morte on the left, Souness could actually pull this thing off-- we'd see some really exciting football.

But if Souness and FF do sign him they'll undo everything they have said they are trying to accomplish. His attitude is not any better than that of Bellamy, Robert, or Kluivert. Worse, maybe.

But damn, he can be a terror when he wants to.

Didn't he just go to Turkey? I thought that players couldn't move twice in a year. Maybe this would be a loan?

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the first page. ;)

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    van der Meyde is an interesting notion, and I get the impression he might be better received at 4m then Boa Morte north of 5m.

On JJ, if Arsenal call NUFC on the 20m stance, either in straight cash or a combination of cash and Sol Campbell...I'd almost consider it foolish not to take it. The majority of that money could be shuttled to RM in exchange for Owen, or perhaps working some relief from the Woodgate payments (or lack thereof) somewhere in there, or both.

Just a thought, who knows if it would work. But it's worth a shot, I'd think. Then NUFC would have striker and center-back relief by thinning themselves slightly at a position where they're already stupidly deep.

I do agree with the sentiment that Anelka is little more than a headcase. If the game suddenly switches to taking a striker regardless of the off-pitch problems...why sell Bellamy in the first place? Trading one headache for another seems a little strange to me.

10. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Boa Morte 'keen on Magpies move'

[​IMG]

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you except I think Campbell is to old. If I was FF I would ask for Senderos or Clichy.

I don't think Owen wants to go up north if he comes back it will most likely be to London or back to 'Pool
    .No no no this would be a bad move. Souness would strangle him.

12. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Senderos is the closest thing to untouchable Arsenal have at present, I'd think, and the ink is still fresh on Clichy's new contract, if I recall correctly. Granted Campbell will soon be 31, but if I'm FF and can parlay JJ into Campbell and Owen, I don't hesitate. I think we all know that would gain nothing in terms of sell-on cash later, but management and fans alike surely would take heart in knowing that the squad just got a hell of a lot better and will probably contend for a Champions League place immediately. As for Owen, he may not WANT to leave, but with Raul and Ronaldo still ahead of him, and Robinho soon to arrive for RM, he may not have a choice if he wants to play regularly. With the guarantee of being THE man, I would think NUFC can use the Woodgate situation, if all that I have heard about the payments and such is true, to gain significant leverage in prying Owen from Madrid, as opposed to other PL teams where he would play in more of a rotation basis.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have this feeling the Wenger and company(and Sven) know something about Campbell that we don't.(i.e Woodgate). It would be great if some how we could convince Owen to come to the Toon, but don't hold your breath with Real.

14. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    O geez, Why o why, do u think Owen is such a good, buy? he can't do anything on the ball,everytime i watch him he hardly touches the ball and scores some of the easiest tap ins (even ameobi could put away). People are clouded by his past ability. Owen was all about his pace, now due to injury, he no longer has it so he gets given goals on a plate almost by Ronaldo, and zidane and co, he won't add anything in terms of build up play, which is important in my opinion. If you are gona have someone who is just gona tap in all the moves we create, might aswell be viduka on the cheap!

15. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    LMAO Geez i've never heard that in years.

I would quite like owen since he's still quite good and viduka is a fat fool

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason I, and others, are stuck on Owen likely is because of the situation with Woodgate and possibility for leverage, and the lack of class strikers, which frankly is what NUFC need. Don't give me this poor form crap, he still scores the lion's share of goals for England, and did well in his own right at the end of the season with Real. Dyer is going to be playing up front almost exclusively, it appears, which means that there is probably only one striker coming this summer to the Toon, with Chops, Ameobi, and Al still around. There's still no movement on Kuijt, no interest in AJ or Crouch, and the only duo constantly being mentioned are Anelka (headcase!) and Viduka (I look for me and Australia before I look to the club I play for), both of whom have mindsets that are far from conducive to what Souey is trying to instill in the team. Michael Owen, a world-class player and a professional, is the guy NUFC need to make a substantial move for, and anything less will be considered a fallback in my eyes. C'mon, FF, at least TRY to appear as though you mean to back your 'big names are coming' pledge for once. </rant>

17. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Agree about the need for NUFC to acquire a world-class player and professional. Michael Owen would fit that bill.

To sign someone on the order of Viduka or Anelka would be a big disappointment after the positive steps the club has made.
    • The signings (Parker and Emre) have been top notch and indicate the club's ambition.
    • The players sold were either not good enough (O'Brien, Hughes, Ambrose), head cases (Bellamy, Bowyer), or lacked drive (Robert and Kluivert; hopefully Butt will be shown the door as well).

I hope that the club continues to sign talented professionals. I don't know what the club's budget is this summer. It is entirely possible that we may need to settle for someone like Keane or Anelka. I hope not.

Selling either Jenas or Viana would be a disappointment and should only be done if NUFC can get the money they are worth (and more) or if the club can fill more pressing needs in exchange for them. LEFT BACK! STRIKER!

All this talk about 433 leads me to believe that we won't be seeing a top notch replacement for Shearer any time soon.

18. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    More Anelka news: Souness adds troubled Anelka to striking list

Looks like this may be for real :(

Well, at £4 million we could do a lot worse. I'd rather see Anelka at that price than Viduka, Keane, AJ, or any of the other clowns we've been linked to this summer.

Could be worse. We could be pursuing Crouch.

Edit: Do you think that NUFC might have spread those awful Viduka rumors just to make everything else-- anything else -- more acceptable?

Sorry, I hate conspiracy theories, but there has to be some reasonable explanation for the link to Viduka. Ockham's Razor, and all that. The least complicated explanation is the most likely.

Yes, of course, it had to be a ploy to prepare the way for the Anelka deal. There is no other rational explanation.

19. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one has me scratching my head. Souness hasn't exactly led us astray in the transfer moves thus far, so I'm inclined to trust his judgement, especially since it's been made widely known he's on a short leash. I still think if Owen is there, however, you do what you must to get him and a solid center-half, even if it means selling Jenas or Viana, but not both. If, and I repeat IF, there is no way to get Owen, under no circumstances do you give away Jenas or Viana, and you perhaps settle for Anelka and hope for the best. Preferably a loan deal with first chance at signing long term. A disappointment still, but perhaps would be the illustration of an insufficient budget, as Picaraza alluded to, should that be the route ultimately taken. I still think Owen is the way to go, and you do what you can to get it done, but if the coffers are bare, no dice.

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
  21. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Owen seeks England return

I'm presuming his desire to leave is conditional on Robinho signing, and it does not state any side other than Liverpool in the article, but if I'm FF and I catch wind of this, I'm on the phone to Real this MINUTE working a deal to relieve their burden on Woodgate, and some more cash. Whatever it takes.

22. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Interesting take on Newcastle United summer in the Guardian: Souness waits on Jenas and Anelka

The Guardian grafts together the Jenas to Arsenal story with the Anelka story.
    I'm disappointed. We're to choose between Anelka and Viduka? Huh? But Souness has repeatedly said that he's only interested in proven EPL goalscorers. That might be the reason that the club hasn't looked outside England.

The most interesting bit comes at the end:
    I wish that the article would've given a few more examples than just Keane. I wonder who the other players out there that Fat Freddy might be drooling over. Am I right in remembering that Kluivert and Nicky Butt were wanted by Freddie Shepherd and not by Sir Bobby?

23. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    We'll need a lot more than Freddie on the phone. Somebody's got to convince Michael Owen.

24. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a clear-cut number one at Newcastle isn't enough? He'd be just as buried in Manchester as he is in Madrid, and Rafa prefers Crouch to Owen. Simply put, if he wants to play for England, he has to be a number one option for his club, and NUFC is one spot where that can be guaranteed.

25. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Here's a stupid question. When a player is said to be making £40,000 a week in wages, what does that really mean? In the US, salaries are usually listed "per season" or "per year". So is 40 a week just for the length of the season (38 weeks or so), or is it 40 per week for 52 weeks? That would translate to a salary of about £2,080,000 per year (or about $3.3 million US).

Thx,

Jay!