Newcastle United transfer rumours and bollox thread 2

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by sarabella, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-3-3's strength is that you have plenty of options going forward, however it's got weaknesses to - either you play the midfield fairly central and expose the flanks(this being the version you and Souness seem to think will work, but in the Premership which plays so fast will get killed on the edges), or you have midfielders playing out wide and leaving one man in the middle(Dutch Version) and two of the forwards pulling out wide attacking down the flanks.

Look at it this way - the two formations in widest use today are 4-4-2 and 5-3-2/3-5-2. They have evolved for a reason - namely the best balance betweeen attack and defense. More attackers in a 4-3-3, 4-2-4 or whatever puts more pressure on the defense our paper thin defense - so they have to be that much better.

We need to get the players to suit the system of attacking football that the gaffer wants to play, until then we should play a system that suits the players on hand or Mr.Souness will find his ass out on the street. That system is a balanced formation that wont put undue pressure on our thin backline.

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo you made my point
    Square pegs in round holes. In a 4-3-3 you can bet your house that Milner would be asked to run into the corners and supply service into the box like a wing player. Same with Dyer

You dont just have three middies in the central of the field and three strikers in the box. You need runs to the corner, and up the flank, service in the box from all parts of the midfield.

[​IMG]

3. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    The Defense
    We do not have a thin backline.

We had a thin backline when we had Andy O'Brien back there. And Bernard was a good player going forward, but he was a crap defender. (Also, having Robert on the left didn't help us out defensively either.) We had a crap defense.

The club is much better off now. Boumsong, Bernard, and Taylor are more than adequate. Carr is an big improvement. And Faye provides damn good cover. Babayaro is an improvement over Bernard.

NUFC will surrender fewer goals in the 4-3-3 than they did last year in the 4-4-2, because the team will control the midfield. We now have players who can win the ball and who will not give it back immediately.

The Formation
    Yes, we should play a system that best supports the players we have.

Guess what?, it's is not the 4-4-2.

• Strikers: Shearer and Ameobi
    • Wingers: 0
    • Central midfielders: Parker, Emre, Viana, Dyer, Milner, Faye, Bowyer, Butt

And you want to play 4-4-2?

4. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Do you consider Alessandro Del Piero a winger?

You've watch a lot of PSV last year. Have you watched Juventus over the years?

4-3-3. Three strikers.

Milner was originally a striker. Dyer played well last season as a striker and Souness has said that he'll have a role comparable to that held by Bellamy.

If they were not playing the outside striker role in the 4-3-3 (uggh, the wing), they would being playing on the wing in the 4-4-2. What is the point in saying they can't play the wings in the 4-3-3, if you are insisting that they play the wings in 4-4-2?

Both are better suited to playing up top in a 4-3-3 (out wide or not) than playing out wide in the midfield. And 4-3-3 enables the club to make use of our talented central midfielders, who would go to waste otherwise.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Inter supposedly wanted £6m+ for Emre. Shocking though it was, didn't we settle on £3.8m? If we can stare down Fenerbache, that would be a good thing. We need the warm body. He'll get the goals, we'll take the aspirin.

Thx,

Jay!

6. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be, but it was still almost 2/3 of what Inter wanted. We're talking less than half here, and rumblings (could be complete bollox for all I know, I don't recall the website I read it off of offhand) are that NUFC told Fenerbahce that £6m was their 'final offer'. Doesn't leave much room for negotiation if accurate, and I fail to see where the leverage would come from to make the Turks blink first. If Anelka jumps in and throws a fit and everything to convince Fenerbahce to let him leave at 6m, that completely defeats the purpose of signing him to begin with, imho, not to mention it would make Souness look like an utter fool.

8. psycho®

psycho® New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Istanbul, Turkey
    be sure Fenerbahce will not let Anelka for 6 M Pound

You have to pay at least 9-10 M pound...if you dont forget Anelka

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That report was in the Telegraph, just to clarify.

10. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Well if we've lost out on Boa Morte (which is what Coleman seems to be blustering on about), then Plan B REALLY needs to materialize and soon! A few strikers are needed guys! Milner, Dyer, and Ameobi aren't going to do it!

11. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Is it just me or is there a typo in there somewhere?

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post and the last one are wrong on so many levels that all I can say is that we agree to disagree. :) But I will say that I advocate playing a more balanced formation until we have made a few(3-5) more signings.

Imo looking to Italy for inspired attacking football is like asking Fat Freddy to put down the pie. It aint goin to happen. The Dutch run the 4-3-3 like nobodys business. Watch the Eredivisie next season if you want to see some examples of the 4-3-3 or hell watch Chelski.

13. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    :D

14. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    If Souness is going to use this 4-3-3, then I think Milner has the quality to do the job up top as one of the "outside" strikers. He played on the wing several matches last term and looked quite capable and he is/was a striker as well. I also think Chopra should be given a run as well. Sure, he may end up being pants, but he can play in the intertwobble cup and see how he works out. Everyone at the club keeps saying that the league is our number one priority so, according to them, it doesn't matter if we get into the UEFA cup or not, right?

15. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    You can just piss off for that price, there's no way he's worth that much.

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky sports and others report Souness has interest in Sami Hyypia from Liverpool, but appears unwilling to grant the three-year deal the Finn wants.

He's yet to sign an extension at Liverpool. Perhaps he's looking to see who will offer a three year deal for him, at which time he'd be almost 35.

17. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Milner and Dyer may work on the wings (though bring in better tallent, Souness!), but I'm concerned about the striker. Shearer probably won't be able to play in most of the games. Our option is Ameobi? Or Chopra? Not good enough!

18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think what we'll see this year is an active 4-5-1 with the two outside players pushing up into the attacking third a lot but not fully commiting to an out an out 4-3-3 for a whole a game.

I was just trying to point out that a 4-3-3 is an attacking formation not one used to control the midfield. If you want to clog the midfield you put an extra man in their 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1. Most teams in England play a 4-4-2 so to say we will control the midfield with one less player is ridiculous.

20. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    I think Milner has the talent to play up top in a 4-3-3 even if I don't care for that system.

Of course I could and may be wrong, just my opinion, but I think Milner is more than capable of scoring and creating goals for our club.

21. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    No disagreement with your analysis on the purpose of a true 4-3-3, I was just saying that I think Milner and Dyer (even though I don't care for him, and if he could ever stay consistent) could play alongside big Al up top in the system.

22. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen
    If picaraza wants a formation to utilize our plethora of central midfielders, then I would suggest a 5-3-2/3-5-2 where there would be 3 in the middle.

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very worrisome. :(

24. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we might get our first look at the 4-3-3/4-5-1 Wednesday, unless Chops recovers by then.