Newcastle United transfer rumours and bollox thread 2

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by sarabella, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Carry on...

2. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    What is up with Everton?
    They miss out on Parker, Emre, and then Bellamy.
    The fans have got to be crushed that the little ******** chose Blackburn over the Champions League.... don't you think?

Well, they still have a chance to sign Lee Bowyer.

3. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Meh on Parker (overpriced) and meh on Bellamy (attitude problems). I don't think either of them would have fit our team anyway. Emre would have been nice, but we can't afford his wages so meh on that too.

We'll get there. In Moyes We Trust. :D

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adios Mr.Ambrose

I hear Emre is supposed to sign today, and Boa Morte tommorow. :rolleyes:

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toon linked to Deigo Forlan

He had a stellar season in Spain last term.Can he make it in the Prem?

Thoughts???

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Forlan might have had a good season in spain but he should stay there cos the british press would have a field day with him. also his game is not suited to the english league.

Ambrose going is a mistake he's a good player.

We have started to sell of good squad players instead of the dead wood.

first hughesy now ambrose its a sad day

7. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Come on Emre!

maestro a little maradona.il turco Emre. :cool:

8. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Ambrose is a good player, but he wasn't going to get any minutes at NUFC and wanted first team football. Good luck to him (sincerely).

9. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    yeah, I read that as well.

Well, we've got quite a few central midfielders-- Parker, Jenas, Viana, Faye, and maybe Emre. Plus, Bowyer and Butt, though hopefully both will be gone in coming weeks. Although there were rumors of Faye going as well, I think Souness will hold on to him (good thing too, IMO).

I was over on the Portugal board telling everyone who would listen that Viana was going to get his shot to play this next season, but now I am having doubts. If the team acquires Emre and Boa Morte and hold onto Jenas, it might be tough for him. Of course, we could play a five man midfield and he'd be ideal right in the middle of things,

The question is this. If Souness doesn't acquire Boa Morte, who is he playing on the left? Say we've got both Emre and Viana: both are central midfielders. Who's talent is Souness going to waste wide out left? I'd think that Emre is quicker... no? (But then they don't have to play as wingers do they?)

I still maintain that Boa Morte will be a good acquistion. He can play on the left or right wing, or as a striker. With Dyer possibly playing right wing or striker; Boa Morte would give the team a lot of versatility as well as a whole lot of speed on the left side of midfield. He'll be a better performer for NUFC than Robert has been over the past couple of seasons.

The club might sign Boa Morte as the "second striker" and only play him there in emergencies. It seems like money is an issue, so I'd rather they buy one damn good striker rather than a couple of donkeys.

With Juventus chasing Patrick Vieira maybe the Jenas to Arsenal deal will come up again?

If NUFC sign Emre and Boa Morte that basically leaves us to sign one striker ( a damn good one) and a left back.

STRIKERS
    ----------
    Shearer
    (new signing)
    Ameobi
    Dyer
    Boa Morte
    Chopra

Right Midfield
    -----------
    Dyer
    Boa Morte
    Milner

Left Midfield
    ----------
    Boa Morte
    Emre
    Viana
    Zoggy

Central Midfield
    --------
    Parker
    Emre
    Jenas
    Viana
    Faye

Right Back
    -----
    Carr
    Taylor

Center Back
    --------
    Boumsong
    Bramble
    Taylor
    Ramage

Left Back
    ------
    Babayaro /new signing
    New signing / Babayaro
    Elliot

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr.Butt and Mr.Bowyer your taxis are waiting!! ;)

11. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'm not having my club pay for a taxi for the to the airport. Thats £15.50 EACH!

12. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    Hey PICARAZA don't forget james milner started out as a left winger and only played right wing because robert could'nt play there

13. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    I'm not sure what NUFC is going to do with Milner: he isn't exactly renowned for his crosses is he? I stuck him on the right becaue I wanted to include him, but couldn't see where he would get minutes anywhere else.

On left I don't think I'd pick him ahead of Zoggy, much less Boa Morte, Emre, or Viana.

I almost included him as a striker, but there were a couple of occasions last season when Souness had an opportunity to play him up top and didn't.

Ideally, he's a central midfielder, but he's pretty far down the pecking order IMO.

-------------
    And Alex, wtf? You sign up in April and only get around to posting in July? That was your first and only post? That has got to be the most innocuous post ever from a sock puppet!

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even think Souness has the anwser to your questions. I don't like Cen-Mids playing on the wing because they tend to drift inside and we lose our shape. If I had to guess I would say that Emre and Viana would both spend time out on the wing with Hugo getting the bulk of the action outside with Emre in the middle.

I agree that the two most pressing needs are a left back and two strikers. So why not resign Ollie to the contract he left on the table(on a free might I add). Then go out and get an unsettled striker with some Prem experience like Baros, AJ, Saha, or Robert Earnshaw and then after that go after Dirk Kuyjt or little Mickey Owen.

On the right wing I think Steed Malbranque would be a good option if not a cheap one. He is dangerous with his crosses and is a proven goal scorer from the mid-field. Also consider Andy van der Meyde An attacking right side winger who can also play up top.

Finally we need to get a center-back Boumsong and Bramble will get hurt and we need some body proven to be able to set in and play. Upson,Distin or Gareth Berry would all be welcome additions Tyneside.

If we need to sell JJ to get our future #9 then so be it. At least that position is one of our strenghs

Just my thoughts ;)

15. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    I didn't hear it, but apparently Souness gave an interview today at NUFCTV.com (or whatever it is, I haven't paid for the video stuff) and a lot of people are stratching their heads right now trying to figure out what the team is going to do with all these creative midfielders.

But Souness did say that he would play 442, 433, or 451 with one defensive midfielder and five attackers every game. He also said that Dyer is going to spend some time up top. Questions:
    • If Parker plays in an attacking role, that means that Faye (or Jenas?) will play as a holding midfielder and Viana, Emre, Boa Morte (if we sign him) will sit?
    • If Dyer is up top, who plays out right? That is if NUFC don't sign Boa Morte or SWP ;)
    • And what about Jenas?
    • Who is on the left? I think that Emre and Viana will split time with Zoggy (and who knows Milner) getting little time. I may be wrong, but I think that Emre has more speed. Souness apparently said something about Viana getting his shot and that he'll be competing with Emre for a spot on the left side of he midfield. The summary of the interview I read said "left of central midfield" and not "left wing", which is promising.
    • Ambrose had to be dealt; so should Bowyer and Butt, if only to free up their salaries.

I read somewhere that Bernard got an offer to play for Southampton in the CCC. Imagine he'll be taking a paycut; that is unless Juventus are still interested in signing him. ;)

Wasn't he good pals with Robert? I'd be surprised if Souness brings him back in; whatever happened that prompted Souness and FF to cut Bernard in January would seem to preclude his coming back. I don't think that Souness is the type to forgive and forget. Maybe he should be, but I don't think it'll happen.

Also, I am (apparently) one of the few fans who actually rates Babayaro. We certainly could do better, but I don't think that Bernard would be any better. I was never that impressed with Bernard anyway. The main issue for me is that Babayaro was injured so much. That's why we need a replacement/ backup.

Edit: well, I'm using the word rate a little loosely here. He's not as bad as some pretend. A decent acquistion (aside from the injuries). Nothing but a squad player if we expect to be a Champions League squad.

I think you're right; one of those unsettled strikers is going to shake lose. The more activity we see from Liverpool and Man Utd. the better.

Earnshaw is an interesting idea. Wouldn't cost as much as the others mentioned and with Dyer and Boa Morte on the wings NUFC would have a lot of speed-- Emre and Viana could do a lot with the spaces they'd open up.

I like Malbranque. Whenever I watch Fulham I'm always left wondering what he could do if he wasn't surrounded by donkeys.

I think that Taylor is more than adequate to fill in for Bramble. If Boumsong were to go down, then its anyone's guess how well a Bramble-Taylor pairing would hold up.

But you're right the names that keep coming up are all centre backs. Who are the left back targets?

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyneside Dream Team

------Given-------
    Carr---Upson---Boumsong--Ollie
    Van der Meyde--Parker-- Emre--Boa Morte
    ------------- Baros
    -------Kuyjt-------

Subs:
    Dyer
    Faye
    Milner
    Viana
    Zogs
    Ameobi
    Shearer
    Taylor
    Bramble

Again just my thoughts

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The eternal question. :p
    Wayne Bridge's time might be up at the Bridge.
    Frank Quedrue

Other then that I think we would have to look towards Europe to fill the position.

18. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    A decent (potential) 4-3-3 from another board. Dunce that I am, I'm still trying to figure out how to use Viana and Emre-- saw this and I thought I'd share.

Added Bridge and Kuijt to fill out my (somewhat realistic) dreamteam.

Carr--Boumsong--Bramble--Bridge
    ------- Parker----Emre------
    ------------Viana----------
    --Dyer----------------Boa Morte
    -----------Kuijt/Shearer---------------

Think it would be fun to watch. We might get the best out of Emre, Viana, Boa Morte, and Dyer.

Anyway, I like it a lot... at least on paper. Anyway, we'd still have to buy the highlighted players obviously.

19. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - Emre will sign Monday, according to Sky Sports.

- I find it interesting, when filtering through the Feyenoord news wires, that I can't find any stories on Kuijt whatsoever, other than referencing him when they're talking about the replacement search. Do we even know he's moving?!

- Jenas to someone for a striker, and cash going either way to settle the rating difference...that might be an option, if the striker is of high enough quality. I wouldn't do it for just Baros, or Keane even.

20. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    I think they've priced Kuijt out of the market. Liverpool was their one main buyer and they've opted to save the money (3-4m or so) and buy Crouch.

And what about this Mohammed Sissoko character that Liverpool have seemingly snatched out of the hands of Everton? They're definitely not in for Boa Morte now (if they ever were) and probably won't resume their pursuit of Kuijt any time soon.

21. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  22. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England

haha sorry, ye i used someone elses e-mail address and i forgot wat me password was , i bin reading posts for a while now, and only got round 2 sorting out me account today so sorry bout that :)

Anyway on the milner issue i agree he aint best crosser in team, but i think if he played reguarly he good improve, possibly, he has some nice skills, remember that uefa cup game, away in olyimpikos i think? did some exellent wing play. he is only 20 anyway i think or maybe younger, so years ahead of him i hope.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    1) Un********ing believable. He's shown better than Milner IMHO.

2) Not today, son. And I don't believe Monday, either. But if they do, I hope it's on the cheap and not 6M+.

Thx,

Jay!

24. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Oh,yes. Olympiakos. That great run along the baseline and that pass (on the outside of his foot) to Kluiert (?)

I really like Milner, but with all of these midfielders coming in ... you know I really hope that Parker, Emre, and Viana live up to their billing. It wouldn't leave much room for Milner, just as it didn't leave much for Ambrose (who I liked as well).

Hey, with any luck we'll go deep into the FA Cup and UEFA Cup again this year and they'll all get minutes.

25. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    or Bowyer. And they're both still around.