Newcastle United The Striker Situation

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dirt McGirt, Jul 11, 2005.

1. AmericanEnglish

AmericanEnglish New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Seattle/New York
    Newcastle needs Robbie Keane, proven goalscorer, anelka just doesnt cut the grade, tottenham wouldnt mind losing him either

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :cool: Please this would be the best for every one involved.

3. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    However,

Magpies confident Anelka will sign

Louise Taylor
    Wednesday July 20, 2005
    The Guardian

4. Bodmanza

Bodmanza New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Edmonton, Canada
    Aren't we discussing who could play WITH Shearer, not in his place when he is gone? Either way I would say Owen would most certainly play well with Shearer, but you are right, he is more of a run and gunner than a controller ( I realize its not really realistic to be even talking about Owen, btw).
    I'm liking Anelka, had 17 redlights couple years back, powerful and quick

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

6. Glebe Mag

Glebe Mag New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Washington, England
    This means he won't be coming. I read the Guardian every day and their predictions are terrible!

7. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
  8. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The video is a little overproduced, and doesn't show more than a few seconds of play at a time. But the play it does show is a guy who muscles his way in, who hustles, who can score a goal from nothing, who heads, flicks and drives the ball into the net.
    And he certainly has some ears...
    He is the guy we really need. But I doubt he can be gotten.

9. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Do you think?

It's worse than the last four Star Wars movies. Way over the top. Too bad the "director" isn't much interested in football.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the video. He looks like a strong classic center forward.
    Cmon FF make investment instead of paying yourself first you Geordie Jabba the Hut.

11. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Just to throw another name into the hat, not that I recommend him or anything, but what do you guys think of Sidney Govou?

And Jaypro, just out of curiousity, why do you dislike Keane?

12. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
  13. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    NUFC was linked to Govou a couple of months ago (was it that long? May, I think) and, apparently, were after him last summer. So both Sir Bobby and Graeme Souness appear to rate him.

I really don't know if I've seen him play to be honest. I saw one Lyon match in the Champions League, but I didn't know Govou or watch him.

I've read that he can play up top or as a right wing. He supposed to have a lot of speed. Not very big or strong is he?

Can you fill us in on him?

14. stephen4

stephen4 New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Scotland
    Why would we want someone who tottenham would be willing to let go. They are the sort of team we want to finish above.

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't lke Keane's attitude. From all the things I've read about him he's a disruptive force in the locker room.Just the type of player that we need to avoid.

Our club won't be able to attract top players(or managers) until we are taken seriously. That starts by bringing players that have personalitys that mesh with the manager and club goals. No more Bowyers,Roberts,Bellamys..etc.

Also I don't think he's that good. IMO I would rather see Shola play then Keane.

16. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Or, as I commented in the Transfer-Bollox thread, we could get stuck watching Ameobi-Keane up top in the 442 next season. That just won't cut it.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Well, if he wants to come back to England his options are pretty limited.

I don't think Mourinho wants him-- isn't right for his system. Man United is booked up. Arsenal? Who else cannot afford him? Tottenham, maybe. Would he return to Liverpool? Would they want him back?

19. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Wor Nic* quiz at the Guardian: Friday's quiz

* Their term, not mine.

20. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland

- Owen is a great striker and would be great @ Newcastle...

21. Bodmanza

Bodmanza New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Edmonton, Canada
    Thats what I keep saying! :eek:

22. AmericanEnglish

AmericanEnglish New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Seattle/New York
    Jaypro is right about keane... We need men not jerks, we need some real retrosexual goalscorers, talent+coolhead=trophies

owen would be perfect... we bid like 20 million for rooney last summer, isnt owen worth 20 million? thatd be about a milllion dollars for every goal he scores in the league for us next year, worthy investment? getting him to come here would be impossible though, he left liverpool for real madrid, i dont think he will go from a club he left because they didnt win the premiership or the champions league and then go to us after we finished in the bottom half of the league. We need to get him drunk and hand him a contract...

then we can get back in the championleague

23. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

1. What the hell is retrosexual?

2.Liverpool sold him for 9million pounds

3.1million dollars a goal isn't that good

4.?

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO

We smoke the chronic in Seattle. ;)

25. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe instead of focusing on Owen, we should focus on Real madrid. They have a striker to sell, that's for sure. Maybe they want to keep Owen, and sell us Raul. If, so that would be fine. It is highly unlikely they would sell Ronaldo, or that he would move this far north. If they did decide to sell Owen, that would be great, too.

Keane is an exciting player to watch, but he does seem to struggle to fit in. When he was leaving Leeds he made noises about being happy to be shuffled in and out of the line-up cause the manager had told him the plan for the future and he was happy with it.

Just cause a player is leaving Tottenham doesn't make him bad. Tottenham have signed about 2 players in the last 20 months. I'm suprised they even have names on the back of the jerseys at this point, it must be hard for the seamstresses to keep up. And with all the changes in the front office, I don't think they have had a consistant idea of who to buy and who to keep.

If he wasn't too expensive, Keane would be a good addition, IMHO. We need a speedy little guy, or a new hamstring for Dyer, and if we can't get Owen Keane would do.