Newcastle United The Striker Situation

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dirt McGirt, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    That just makes it better..if he passed a medical then i dont see any reason for us to make a bid matching or a bit less since we're not chelsea ;) and we can probably pay him the same amount...it just means waiting now

2. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeap.

I think ,
    its the 'best time' Nihat Kahveci bid matching.

He is ready to leave Sociedad..

and I think, we should go for him.

Edit:
    Manny;
    Thank you, for video of Nihat. :)

amaising, tricky, speedy shows from Nihat Kahveci. :eek:

Goals ,number 1 and number 3 was awsome..
    and loop shoots was, just a brilliant..

but all goals it just great .

thanks again.

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Big Boss

Big Boss Red Card

Jun 17, 2005
    saudi arabia
    yes ..Nihat great player ..

2002/03 Real Sociedad 35 23 Primera Division
    2003/04 Real Sociedad 32 14 Primera Division
    2004/05 Real Sociedad 23 13 Primera Division

5. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    He is the One.

in the videos.. he is : classy style shoot, speed,and smart moving with ball.

come on Souness, get this kid pls.

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we will find out. Borgetti signs with Bolton

I hate Mexico(the team not the country) but strangely I hope he shows well in the Prem.

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikers I dont want at the club
    Anelka
    Keane
    Viduka
    Flo
    Kanu
    Crouch
    Kevin Phillips

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You forgot Johnson ;)

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was waiting for that! :D

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are linked to every unsettled player in Europe. :rolleyes:

He would be a nice addition at £3m not £5.5m.

11. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Dean Ashton!!! :d

12. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    WOW, Nihat! , that right foot is like Robert X2, PLease someone with inside links to newcastle get in contact,

Plus he may wana come if he sees we have fellow turk Emre.

But souness, probs aint even thought about him?

13. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans I'd like to see in Toon.

Ed Johnson.
    I'd love to see him play for Toon. Big, strong, good header, young. Probable 4M pounder. Any European team that signs him now is going to look like geniuses by the end of Ger'06 cause he's going to score lots in the WC.

DaMarcus Beasley
    Doing a fine job at PSV. With Park gone to ManUre, Beas will get plenty of time on the field. He's done well internationally for the USA and in European competition. Fast, works hard covering on D (Souness complaint against Robert), scores. Plays the right wing and is a decade younger than Figo.

Sure I'd love to see Owen in black and white, but Kuyt is more likely and there has been nary a word on him...
    Ashton is young but impressed at the end of last season. He might be the big guy to follow Shearer, and a year of working with the master would help his game
    Andy Johnson would be a good foil, maybe a great foil, for Shearer. I wouldn't like to see him as the number one option, but playing off a big guy who can create he would do very well.

But I'm not holding my breathe on any of these guys. I'll even say I'd be suprised if we see a class striker added to the team before January.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson hell yes :D

DMB I love and I have his jersey but I think he needs more time in Holland.

15. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    we can get Nihat ,with cash ;)

If he come to NUFC, that would be very nice.

16. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    The Journal's James Milner article (
    My heart is at United
    ) provides a peek into some of the tactics that will be used in the coming season.

Might we see this?

Carr--Boumsong--Bramble--Babayaro
    ------------Parker/Faye/Butt/Jenas---------
    -----Jenas/Parker-----------Emre/Viana-----
    -----Dyer--------Milner/Boa Morte------
    -----------Shearer/Anelka/Ameobi------

It looks like NUFC is buying one striker, Anelka, and will use Shearer and Anelka or Anelka and Ameobi up top on a 442.

In 443 we could see a lot of different people up top: Dyer, Shearer, Anelka, Ameobi, Milner, Boa Morte, N'Zogbia.

I suppose that Anelka would be the best for 451. Don't think that Shearer would do very well as a lone striker.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather have Baros then Anelka. Baros performs exceptionaly well at the international level and just needs the right enviroment to prosper in league football.

Again Anelka is not the type of player the club should pursue.

18. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    No, can't agree with you.

Anelka is a much better player than Baros, and better suited to playing 433. He's quick, strong, scores goals, and can hold the ball. Basically, he's what we need.

Sure his attitude can be ********. But so was Bellamy's and Anelka is a better player than Bellamy and less trouble.

And what of Baros? He sulks, he throws temper tandrums too. Might as well have kept Laurent Robert. Baros doesn't score nearly as many goals as Anelka and doesn't pass the ball well enough to make it ok. Liverpool prefer Crouch for pete's sake.

If Liverpool are willing to let him go for a reasonable price, I'd rather have him than say, Robbie Keane, but I'd definitely take Anelka over either.

19. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    This morning every since I read that NUFC has signed Emre for 3.8m, I've been thinking about the financial wisdom of the 433.

The system easily morphs into a 451 when a team needs to play anti-football and hang on for a point, but it also allows clubs to save a little cash.

Liverpool went out and spent 7m on Peter Crouch. 7m? Would you agree that good or decent strikers just cost more than good/decent midfielders? I don't have any numbers in front of me, but that's my sense.

And even if money isn't an issue, if you have great midfielders you can play a donkey up top and still do well-- like winning the title. Look at Chelsea.

Ok, I'm using the term donkey rather loosely here-- Kezman will do well elsewhere; Drogba might well have the last laugh. And I'd take Gudjohnsen in a heartbeat. But still, Chelsea's strikers aren't exactly the talk of the town. Though, I think Crespo will do well under Mourinho.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anelka is garbage... I repeat garbage. He scored four goals in Turkey last term. His transfer fee is too high and his wages will be too high. He is exactly the type of player the club has been trying to rid itself over paid and underperforming tempermental twats

Give me the Euro 2004 Golden Boot Winner any day of the week. Yes he's unhappy with his situatiuon with Rafa, but it pales in compersion to Anelkas history of petulance. Anelkas so moody the French don't even want him and their the world most annoying country.

21. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Let's compare something a little more quantifiable than moods.

Anelka
    --------------
    97-98 Arsenal 6 Goals, 26 Games
    98-99 Arsenal 17 Goals, 35 Games
    01-02 Liverpool 4 Goals, 20 Games
    02-03 Manchester City 15 Goals 38 Games
    03-04 Manchester City 17 Goals, 32 Games
    04-05 Manchester City 7 Goals, 19 Games
    = 66 in 170 (0.39)
    Average games per season:28.3

Bellamy
    ---------------
    00-01 Coventry City 6 Goals, 34 Games
    01-02 Newcastle United 9 Goals, 27 Games
    02-03 Newcastle United 8 Goals, 29 Games
    03-04 Newcastle United 4 Goals, 16 Games
    04-05 Newcastle United 7 Goals, 21 Games
    = 34 in 127 (0.27)
    Average games per season: 25.4

Baros
    ----------------
    02-03 Liverpool 9 Goals, 27 Games
    03-04 Liverpool 1 Goals, 13 Games
    04-05 Liverpool 9 Goals, 26 Games
    = 19 in 66 (0.29)
    Average games per season: 22

P.S. Baros was unhappy with Houllier as well.

Jaypro,

I agree with your concerns, but if you look at NUFC's situation:
    • Limited funds
    • Can buy one striker
    • Playing a lot of 4-3-3 or 4-5-1
    • Need a good partner for Shearer in 4-4-2
    • Have a talented playmaking midfield (finally)

Anelka is the best fit for next season.

22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be a terrible season if that's the case. :(

Baros scored 13 goals in all competitions and was Liverpool's joint leading goalscorer last term for the European champions.

He plays with pace and is best used in a Bellamy type role as he is with the Czech Republic. He would be a great addition to the club and he unlike Anelka would have something to prove.

23. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Yes, but that was in 45 (?) games.

Last season was a terrible season for NUFC. Aside from the fireworks, the team had a crappy backline the first half of the season, a crappy frontline in the second half, and a crappy midfield all season long.

Had Bellamy played in the second half of the season it still would've been a bad year, but not a terrible one.

• NUFC has its defense reasonably sorted (the best the team has had since Woodgate was sold-- he's irreplaceable. Boumsong makes every one around him better and Faye provides good cover from the midfield.)
    • NUFC now has a wonderful set of creative midfielders: Dyer, Parker, Emre, Viana, Jenas, Zoggy and Milner. The addition of Boa Morte would provide a lot of speed and even some goals (he had 8 last season). In short we've got a versatile and talented midfield.
    • NUFC now needs a quick, powerful goal scorer who will do well in the 433.

Anelka is our best option. He is the one striker that meets Souness' requirements: (1) a proven goal scorer in the EPL [that eliminates Kuijt, Saviola, etc.], (2) a player that is suited for the 433 [Is Michael Owen suitable?] Given the talent NUFC has in the midfield, we're better off with that formation: Emre and Viana would be a waste wide out left. The club needs to get Emre, Viana, and Jenas minutes in the center of the field.

Moreover, Anelka meets my primary requirement: He's not Mark Viduka.

Also, he is relatively cheap. At 6m we're still talking about less money than Liverpool spent on Crouch (7m), Boro on Yakubu (7m), or the ridiculous sum Palace want for AJ (10m?).

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Dean Ashton....and Baros...433 might sound like a good idea but it just doesnt work in england...it never has and never will

I think ashton and Baros or Nihat ( i cant see that happening tho) would be the best option for the club

25. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think it is best to choose from who is actually available, I will go ahead and BS... Lets look at who could possibly replace Shearer as the center forward in a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, or the main man in a 4-4-2.
    Can (possibly) do the job (but not as well as Al, of course): Ashton, Eddie Johnson, Kuyt, Anelka
    Can not do the job: Owen, Andy Johnson, Boa Morte, Baros, Nihat

I leave Viduka off the list because I loathe him and don't consider that he could do the job... but when he does play he plays the right way... but I hate him. When Leeds was going down he looked tottally disinterested while on the pitch. His bags were packed.

Of the other Can Do's, I think we would risk another on field brawl between Shearer and Anelka. I doubt Shepperd would have the balls to buy EJ, and Kuyt is apparently staying at Feyenoord. That leaves Ashton, who I would be happy to see come in.

The one reason not to look ahead and get that big man for the middle is that Souness thinks he already has that guy in Ameobi. Could be... It sure would do Ashton or EJ good to train and play along side Shearer...

But really, I doubt we buy anybody until January...