Newcastle United Defense

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by picaraza, Jul 7, 2005.

1. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    United duo are five-star rated

Missed this article this morning, but it's a pretty interesting piece of fluff. It might prove worthwhile to drag a few chestnut quotes out mid-season if/when the club is on the verge of collapse and we're all back to demanding the head of Titus Bramble on a stick.

The clock is ticking. Since this article was written and posted has got to be around 24 hours. Guess we should get the good news tomorrow, around lunch (PST)?

I can see it now. Tomorrow the club will unveil its newest signing... Jorge Andrade! And just like that the famous partnership of Boumsong-Bramble is broken up. And we'll all be left to wonder what might have been...

Anyway....

So, Van Buyten ain't coming. And we've still got to replace Hughes and O'Brien. Just how many games do you think Babayaro is good for? And is his replacement Elliot? Ramage?

Damn, sign a left back. And a couple of ********ing strikers already.

Anyway...

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Matthew Upson anybody??
    I actually think Titus Bramble will really become a world class center back. I just think that you need some one to be pushing for a place behind him to keep him on his toes. Not to mention with his injury problems a little insurance wouldn't hurt.

Your thoughts on Ollie maybe coming back.
    P.S. The Mackems want to sign him :rolleyes:

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Any player that leaves the club and goes to a relegation threatened team just because they would give him more money...he can go to the mackems

4. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Well I think Taylor would be a good 'push' behind Bramble. Plenty of us would probably rather have Taylor out there instead of Bramble right now.

5. Alex_7

Alex_7 New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    England
    plus he gets extra points because of his oscar winning performance against aston villa last season :)

Bramble, has only bein good when playing with woodgate or boumsong. when he was on his own with o'brian he lost his head

6. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, let Bramble play alongside Boumsong and focus on the LB. Babyaro is not the answer.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It was clear in the FA cup semi final that babayaro wasnt the answer

8. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boumsoung, Bramble and Taylor, that's 3 to cover 2 CB slots. Taylor is cover for Carr out right, 2 players, one slot on the field. Babayaro and Elliott together make up about one player, I'm sad to say. We need another LB for sure, or maybe Souness is going to experiment with N'Zogbia some more...

At Forward we have Sheaer, Ameobi and Chopra... and apparently Dyer. I hate to say it but Shearer is half a player due to age, and recently Ameobi is half a player due to injury. So far Chopra has been a non-player at the Priemership level. Dyer moving up top is a good way to decrease the crowd in midfield, and his pace makes him a nice fit into the slot vacated by Bellamy, but he is hardly a Striker to count on (I hope that changes...). Forget Left Back, forget center defensive cover, forget a left sided midfielder or a to the left of center midfielder. Sign a Striker.

I have to figure that the guys running NUFC are at least as aware of the situation as we are. I have to figure there is some secret deal that is about to be sprung. Well.... I'm waiting.
    I go into the back country Monday morning and won't get any transfer news until Thursday at the earliest. I hope I have a pleasant suprise. This looking for good news and finding none has worn me down over the last 2 - 3 weeks.

9. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    i was reading this months true faith and they raised a very good point...people seem to be forgetting that shearer is a part-time player which seems to mean that we actually need THREE new strikers

10. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Boumsong article BOUMSONG WANTS MORE TITLE GLORY

11. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Souness on the NUFC defense situation: Souness searches for defensive cover

So that's

RB
    ---
    CARR
    TAYLOR
    RAMAGE

CB
    ---
    BOUMSONG
    BRAMBLE
    (NEW SIGNING)
    TAYLOR
    RAMAGE

LB
    ---
    BABAYARO
    ELLIOTT

Sorry, not good enough. NUFC absolutely must acquire cover for Babayaro at left back. I'd be delighted if the team could acquire someone like Gallas who could play both CB and LB, but that ain't all that likely and I am unsure about the other targets.

So, the club is buying center backs, huh?
    • Barry: £4-5m, but sees himself in the midfield.
    • Upson: £5m
    • Van Buyten: £5-6m, but already turned us down?
    • Distin: £6-7m
    • Andrade: £8-12m, but we'd have to beat out Man Utd. for his signature.
    • Gallas: £6-7m, but we'd have to beat out Liverpool...
    • Balde: FREE; the nice price
    • O'Shea: How much would Man Utd charge for him?

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobo on a free??
    I thought he just re signed with Celtic. If not we should jump on that quickly.

13. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Last I saw Strachan was claiming that Balde would be staying, but I don't think that Bobo has signed anything.

That would be my vote: Bobo for free and pick up O'Shea, Barry, or Fortune while we're at it.

Now I'm starting to get pissed about the Hughes sale. I assumed that they had sold him with the intention of upgrading that position. Buying a player of a higher calibre to replace him. If they don't replace him then FF and Souness have really screwed up.

Does Souness think that Elliott and Ramage are adequate? I'm sure that Taylor and Ramage are decent enough, but it would be nice to have some experience on the backline.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    BOBO FRIGGIN BALDE?!?! He's crap in scotland i can tell you now everyone on tyneside breathed a sign of relief when we didn't sign him in january

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL
    I could see that coming a mile away. :D
    Unpredictable you are not.

16. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yes everytime some says a crap player should sign for the toon i'll say that he shouldn't

Lets just add his name to the list just below Andy 'Penalties' Johnson

17. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    So who exactly do you think is "crap"?

(A random sampling of names I've heard NUFC fans talk/write about as possible targets)
    • Andrade:
    • Balde:
    • Barry:
    • Chivu:
    • Distin:
    • Dunne:
    • Gallas:
    • King:
    • Mellberg:
    • Mexes:
    • O'Shea:
    • Upson:
    • Van Buyten:

My concern is that Souness and FF are talking about defensive cover.

I don't think they are talking about buying a top calibre center back; they are talking about buying someone who will play if Boum, Bramble, and Taylor go down. That is, a replacement for Andy O'Brien.

Not likely we're going to pursue Andrade or King, or that either would come either.

18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, He would be great cover for when Bramble and Boumsong get hurt plus he could push Bramble for a first team spot. Which might help our boy Titus concentrate a little bit better.

All the Celtic fans I met in Seattle (Man u vs Celtic 2003) absolutly love him however he is not going anywhere.

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    • Andrade: Go to CL club before even thinking of us
    • Balde: Thank God he's staying there
    • Barry: Villa would never go and Arsenal have always been interested in him
    • Chivu:HAHAHAHA
    • Distin: Traitor
    • Dunne: Fat and Crap
    • Gallas: Possible if Chelsea will let him go. How old is he?
    • King: Spurs would never let him go unless we swapped Jenas which we shouldn't do
    • Mellberg: Possible. But how much?
    • Mexes: HAHAHAHA
    • O'Shea: Is he that good?
    • Upson: Looks like the most likely
    • Van Buyten: Commited to HSV

You should know that the british press make things up 90% of the stories that you see quoted from papers are lies just made up from "Sources" and agents...Out of that list only 2 have any possible chance of coming here

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One center back I would love to see the team sign is Oguchi Onyewu.http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=337435&cc=5901 He plays in Belgium right now but I think he'll be at a big club in a top league within a year. He would be great cover for Boumsong and Bramble. 6'4 210 pounds good with his feet and in the air. An American Sol Campbell in the making.

21. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onyewu is a solid defender, at least of what I've seen from him, and he isn't afraid to get involved with the offense either when the need arises. Nettedthe winner for the US against Honduras in Gold Cup on a set-piece in stoppage time the other day, case in point.

22. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    As a fan of the USMNT, I'd rather that Onyewu play elsewhere. I can't see him getting minutes in front of Boumsong, Bramble, or Taylor. Would rather he started elsewhere.

23. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have to worry about Bramble for a couple months, though I do see your point, it would be far better for the US to keep such a skilled defender in game form. Certainly a name to watch for the not-too distant future. Would definitely give the cover Souness desires, though, and his game would suit the EPL rather well, from what I've seen.

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We this club you can't have to many center backs and I'm not quite convinced that Bramble would keep Gooch out of the lineup. Gooch had a great season last year in the Juplier league as well as in the UEFA cup. He will be moving to a bigger club\league most likely after WC2006.

NUFC has many needs more pressing right now so my suggesstion was more of wishful thinking. ;)

25. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did read in that article you posted he has some experience at left-back as well. Versatility is nice, and they do need a left-back...