New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably Steffen's best game since coming back to MC. Several very good saves.... too bad his hands are not an inch longer. It was that close. Bummer

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    On top of the saves I mentioned, Steffen also did well to beat an onrushing attacker to a through ball in the box late in the game shortly before the penalty.

He also made a very good stop from point blank range right after the foul that led to the PK, which might have counted had he not saved it because I think the ref was playing the advantage

gomichigan24, sakibomb523, Dizi and 3 others repped this.
  3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    He did not get fully extended quick enough today. My hunch is that Turner saves that one so long as he goes that direction. But it was a good overall game from him.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was quite strange, and I was wondering if there is a ref in here who could explain that pk call to me. It absolutely seemed like an advantage was played, which was saved. And it was literally a guy with a point blank shot, as you stated. How can you get an advantage like that, and then have it called back for a penalty after the advantage is saved? Something seems wrong about that. If it were not a "real" advantage, I could see it, but damn -- the dude was right in front of the goal.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I ended up tearing myself away from the scintilating entertainment that is corn hole and half-watching 2nd half. Not a ton to do, but looked composed. Would have been a pretty phenomenal save if he'd stopped the PK. Did get a touch to it.

Dizi and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "The referee: …allows play to continue when an infringement or offense occurs and the non-offending team will benefit from the advantage and penalizes the infringement or offense if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds."

The question is "what is the anticipated advantage?" Pretty sure if a clear PK is indicated and the ensuing play does not result in a goal, the PK is usually given. At least, that was my understanding.

tomásbernal, beamish and msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Correlation is not causation.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oddly enough I know a dude from North County area who left a pretty lucrative white collar job to become a "pro" corn hole player. And this description of him is not incorrect.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure...right up my alley...it was the correct call, but VERY seldom ever seen. You have a few seconds to see if the desired advantage will materialize, if it doesn't you can absolutely go back to the spot of the original foul. In this case, the spot of original foul results in a pk.

superdave and freisland repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you nailed it...wanna be my AR next weekend???

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Can I wear a hat? I only AR if I can wear a hat. And use a stool. And drink beer.

Then YES!

Winoman and Gorky repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    from BlueMoon forum

Screenshot 2021-08-07 143825.jpg

theboogeyman, mace, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/n...manchester-city.2014238/page-92#post-39820203

Zack Steffen is massively underrated

Undoubtedly Manchester City’s best player on the Wembley pitch, his mind-blowing saves kept the Blues in the game until the very end.

A couple of crucial blocks from point-blank range deprived the Foxes of an early lead and prevented a repeat of last year’s painful 2-5 defeat at the Etihad Stadium.

Steffen is massively underrated and deserves a great deal of respect for his impressive quality in between the sticks. Initially brought in for his remarkable footwork, the 26-year-old warrants praise for his notable shot-stopping abilities as well.

The USMNT player is a solid back-up option for Manchester City moving forward and will be crucial heading into the first few game-weeks of the season, with Ederson yet to return from an extended break after his Copa America excursions.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is the expectation that Steffen will start the first few games of the season?

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm sure Ederson will be back in training soon to play next weekend though would be fantastic if Steffen did have a few games while Ederson relaxed some.

Winoman and gomichigan24 repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially with the first WCQ window coming at the end of the month. My contention has been if neither Steffen or Horvath are getting playing time Turner should be starting, but it’s a different conversation if Steffen is playing and looking like he did yesterday.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It def hopes silence fears and doubts when we see him playing well and incorporating whatever he's been learning at City.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    LouisianaViking07/09, Winoman and mace repped this.
  19. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Ederson is back in training today, so I would imagine he will be ready to go on Sunday. But perhaps he has to isolate and/or will have additional time off?

TimB4Last repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #2320 TimB4Last, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Man City has three games left in August, and (unless there is something we don't know about) I would expect Ederson to start all three.

Sun Aug 15 @ Tottenham
    Sat Aug 21 v Norwich City
    Sat Aug 28 v Arsenal

Sep 2-8 USA qualifiers

Steffen should get an EFL Cup game in September, when Man City joins the competition.

21. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Who to start in goal during World Cup qualifying may be Berhalter’s most difficult and pressurized decision.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Gotta credit Steffan with a couple really nice saves there, especially the one where he was able to get to the ball with his legs as he was already heading the other direction. He seems to have a really good ability to stay calm in traffic and hold his position so that he still as a chance to make the save where you see a lot of guys committing earlier and hanging themselves out to dry.

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is he's going to start Steffen. But I personally wouldn't do so unless he were getting games. If Turner is getting games every week and the others aren't that makes it an easy call for me.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mace and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Apparently he has back spasms so he'll sit against El Salvador. Hopefully he'll be all fine to start at least one match during qualifying and return to City healthy to ride their bench.

Winoman repped this.