New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Guardian: Manchester City agree deal with keeper Ortega...
    Subtitle: "Ortega leaving Arminia Bielefeld and lined up to replace Steffen"
    Not much info. "Manchester City have a verbal agreement to sign the goalkeeper Stefan Ortega as backup to Ederson if [my bold] Zack Steffen leaves in search of more game time." Plus a bit more.

An opportunity for City to dump him without admitting a recruiting error.

2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an upgrade for Man City. But could be just what Steffen needs to rediscover his talent. It has been a while since it has been on display but I remember a time when Steffen was killing it in the BL. I don’t think it is all that important for a GK or CB trying to make a name for themselves to be on a top tier team. Find a team that views you as the guy at your position, play every game and make plays. Use that team as a stepping stone to jumpstart your career. Steffen needs this kind of move in a big way. If he finds the right spot I could see him changing the narrative quite quickly.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's called false memories. Unless you mean that he had a few good games before a longer sequence of poor games. He played 16 games, let 36 goals, 2.25 goals per game. Mediocre.

Ray Shoesmith, russ, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At 27 his options are limited. With 3 years left on his contract, they must be looking for a loan --maybe to MLS? The alternative is becoming the guy who brings the Gatorades for Kayky and the other U23 kids.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He should. Would be an above average MLS keeper, and might even restore his confidence.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Horvath needs a huge opportunity to save his career.

7. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Zack likely going on loan

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall that his D that year was doing him no favors and that despite his goals allowed he was making a lot of quality saves. If he was so mediocre then why would Man City want him to be the backup? At any rate, there is no arguing the fact that he has underwhelmed for club and country for an extended stretch. A move to the MLS would be fine with me as I don’t think a GK needs to be in the best league in order to succeed internationally. I just want he and Horvath to find a club that will run them out consistently this fall. Going into the WC with our top 3 keepers sitting is a recipe for disaster.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That kind of the same argument as Sargent wasn't getting service. Steffen was severely overhyped, starting with that amazing MLS keeper of the year. But still he was much better than now, and hopefully goes back to that solid level. Last trip to MLS was very beneficial and helped to resolve confidence problems. Should go that way again.

Ray Shoesmith and Deeneaus repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ^This

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    According to fan wisdom is over the trillion dollars in jersey sales to Yanks.

Stefan Ortega is undergoing the medical:

http://www.thehardtackle.com/transf...ega-pencilled-in-for-manchester-city-medical/

And apparently some City fans are still confused over Zack SteffAn's last name:

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/stefan-ortega.355627/page-4

At least his performance page on Blue Moon remains spotless:

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/13-zack-steffen-2022-23-performances.355592/

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who'd want him?

13. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #2688 Ray Shoesmith, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    He never killed anything in B1 outside those first 5 or 6 matches.
    He became normal Zach, not that good, but that early run gave him some leeway.
    Then the injury saved that false rep.
    Of course many fans saw, or heard about that good string of matches, and that means he can always play at that level, and that‘s the norm.
    No, that was an anamoly in hindsight.

Jeez, never has a guy parlayed so much good will while accomplishing so little.

Good for him. I don‘t begrudge him at all. It’s the lack of comprehension of what he is with all the career evidence. Whether stats, eye test, you name it. Just wow.

The next time Zach plays a full season of matches at an above average level will be the first.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #2689 Ray Shoesmith, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Good gracious you are consistent in your delusions. The D was weak and so was Zach. He let in plenty of poor goals on crosses, lack of judgement and poor DM. I only was in Germany and watched every match. What the hell do I know?

I hate the tell you.
    No matter how much you post like this it won‘t change reality.

This is one of the major problems of youth who have grown up in social media world.

Just like Josh, no matter how much you want him to succeed, you have to asses in the tangible world.
    No matter what you post in response here, and whatever reps you might get, won‘t change it.

If I recall;), you do this a lot.

Do you recall you do this a lot?

I recall.

Anyone else recall?

That‘s right, you recalling is not reality. Reality is reality. Pure net schtick to lead people who already want to be led.

15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Well, he did leave Freiburg due to homesickness.

Maybe being abroad away from family isn‘t for him.

No shame in that.

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I've heard of that...

17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    No.

18. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    When he went to Freiburg he had problems adjusting. I believe his sister moved over to help him but it didn‘t work out. Freiburg management were very understanding knowing he wasn‘t happy. Thus, the move to Columus.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So,who has his allocation,or can he only go to NYC FC ?

20. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    That‘s a good question. I don‘t know how it was all sorted out. We will find out shortly.
    I try not to pay attention to MLS rules TBH.
    It‘s gotten so much better but in the old days it was like taking Calc 2.

russ repped this.
  21. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Also, I think Zach‘s sister came the second go round to help him. Not 100% on when she went but now pretty sure it was the second stint to help him.

I also just realized who Zach reminds me of! He is the 20-30 year old version of Tony Meola!
    Both could pull off great reflex saves. The memorable type that clouds judgement on all else.

They both were poor at commanding the box, poor on crosses, and their positioning and DM making were both real suspect.

Tony finally started becoming a well rounded, very good keeper, in his 30‘s at KC. Very good.

He was also almost all hype until then. We were promoting for the 94 cup and he was one of the faces.
    His rep, compared to reality, was way out of proportion. Tony couldn‘t even make a Serie C team in Italy.

They are very similar.

22. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ray, next time can you only post the bold? The rest of it is petty and belittling and is a waste of everyone's time.

23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Will do. Apologize.

When I post while working my responses become curt to say the least.

Noted and thanks for the call OK.

24. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So what clubs or leagues are interested in Zackary?