New York State Proposal for High School Sports

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kit, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman repped this.
  2. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't read the article, but perhaps treating verbal abuse of officials the same way we treat other abusive language in professional matches would help. Stop the match until the abuse stops, clear the stands if it continues, abandon the match of stands can't be cleared.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It shouldn't be that difficult to remove someone from school grounds when they're publicly berating another person.

4. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Actually love this. Kit, let's get NYS to adopt this...

Kit repped this.
  6. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Does this mean that the referee needs to stop the game three times to get an abusive parent removed?

• First warning – Telling the fan or fans to stop the negative comments or actions.
    • Second warning – A personal discussion with the spectators and reminding the spectators of the next step, which is removal from the event.
    • Removal from the contest – The fan will be ordered to leave the game. If they won’t leave, play will be stopped until they get out.​

I'd prefer a one strike and you're out rule.

voiceoflg repped this.
  7. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, it seems more like the “ask, tell, dismiss” policy. While there are three steps in the process, you can skip a step if necessary.

IASocFan repped this.
  8. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I understand the comparison, but the referee's job is to deal with players (and to a lesser extent, with bench personnel). Interacting with spectators, even indirectly, is something I'd want to waste a minimum amount of time on. I practice a lot of selective deafness on the field, so if spectator conduct is bad enough to get a response from me I'd prefer it to be one and done. This policy sounds like it could tie the referee's hands a bit. Then again, they are acknowledging the problem and trying to deal with it which is a positive step.

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the sentiment, but I’d still delegate this to the site admin. If that person didn’t want to deal with it, then I would, but it would be with the fan and admin both leaving.

mudhen repped this.