Post-match: New York Red Bulls - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 3/16) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 16, 2019.

1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm glad there's continuity from pre 2005 Quakes to now, but I was referring more to the last decade of Fisher's ownership. We don't live in the timeline where the Quakes didn't leave temporarily. I'm sure Red Bull fans would have enjoyed a couple MLS Cup victories also, what team wouldn't?
    What does that have to do with how the team has performed? You should know by now that I don't care about fans. I care about how well a team performs, and it's inarguable that NYRB has been one of the best performing teams over the last decade.

There would be complaints, but they would probably be quite a bit different and a lot more tolerable because you could almost set your watch to playoffs soccer.

While I'd prefer NYRB's results over the last decade, that's not the same thing as becoming a supporter of the team. It's fine you don't want to trade situations with any other team, that's fine. My point was more about how laughing at the lack of MLS Cup wins of other teams is not something I'd want to be projecting. Fans of those teams can no more affect that than we can on how bad the Quakes are right now.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not laughing at Red Bulls fans. I'm laughing at the pervasive notion here that they are to be envied.

Funny, no one bats an eye when the Galaxy (whose fans can celebrate 5 MLS Cups) are repeatedly referenced on this board as "Scum." But if I make factually correct, yet unpleasant observations about the Harrison, New Jersey Energy Drinks, it's deemed unseemly. Did I mention they have won Wooden Spoons in the past? I'll keep that on the down low, because it would be too impolitic.

bobby_guzman and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As a fan, I've lived through four straight Super Bowl losses, and separately through 17 straight non-playoff seasons, and I can tell you from personal experience that repeatedly losing in the playoffs feels a lot worse.

4. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Are you kidding me? You set the bar pretty high for other teams while wallowing in the putrid mess in SJ.

If someone offered to swap organizations I’d take it in a New York Minute.

DasMoots, markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Bringing this up is moving the goalposts. That didn’t happen under FC Energy Drink tenure. The original post was about how well the Red Bull organization turned out despite the original negativity when they came into MLS as here to be a marketing gimmick only.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  6. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    And you are also giving the current Quakes administration the credit for glory that they had absolutely zero part in.

Beerking, DasMoots, bobby_guzman and 4 others repped this.
  7. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "“Yes, yes, I know all the jokes. What else could I have expected at Highbury? But I went to Chelsea and to Tottenham and to Rangers, and saw the same thing: that the natural state of a football fan is bitter disappointment, no matter what the score.” " - Fever Pitch, Nick Hornby

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The franchise most recently won the Wooden Spoon in 2009, during the Red Bulls era.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't root for the administration. I root for the Club.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I hereby offer you the opportunity to swap allegiance.

11. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    That’s not what I said. You seem to be purposefully changing the discussion.

I’ll be more lawyerly in my language just for you, Don.

If someone offered to exchange the owners, GM, coaches, front office people and everyone else who gets a paycheck from NYRB for the all of the same people who hold the same or similar positions in the current Quakes organization, I would take it. That way I get to REMAIN a Quakes fan with the added benefit that i’d actually have something to cheer for.

But thanks for giving me your permission, regardless

DasMoots, Boysinblue and SeaJayBee repped this.
  12. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Not sure. We could use improvements in every line.

13. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    NYRB doesn’t have our titles but they did impressively develop Howard, Altidore, Bradley, Adams.

Boysinblue repped this.
  14. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I’m surprised Danny age is 28 already. Regardless he should start.

I’d also like to see Luis Felipe, Calvillo, Fuentes, JTM, Cowell and Haji. Not all at once but give some you g guys a shot.

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    unfortunately, these are inextricably interwoven.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can root for the USMNT without embracing the current occupant of the White House.

Boysinblue and bobby_guzman repped this.
  17. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m talking about players that are good enough to win the treble which will take money spent over a number of windows. Dude, show some ambition LOL

18. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re not going to win the treble with this attitude.

19. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does Danny’s contract expire? Does he fit into the clubs long term plans?

20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a frightening view of our team.

I think I agree with you too, which is also disturbing.

What is the chance that Matias thinks that Eriksson and Godoy are actually good? If Judson, Lopez, and Espinosa represent the sort of guys he wants, then Eriksson is the antithesis of that. Whereas Godoy has the talent to play much better, he just doesn't. So I think that Matias either thinks that Eriksson and Godoy suck, as most fans think, or he is somehow bamboozled by them.

What is the chance that Matias is required to play them? I think pretty good. On the other hand, I know that Jesse thought Quintana was good, and he didn't force Stahre to play Quintana. So maybe not.

What is the chance that Matias is deliberately driving the team into the ground so as to demonstrate to ownership that he needs better players? Myabe? But if that's his plan, I think it's going to fail. Fisher doesn't reallly care how terrible the team is.

I really hope that Matias is just playing the guys he thinks can gel into a cohesive unit. I disagree with his choices emphatically, as I've said elsewhere. I think that Vega was a terrible pick. Not because he's a bad player, but because he's a poor use of resources. I think the new field players are upgrades, but starting Godoy and Eriksson and playing both Kashia and Cummings (and why the @#$% didn't we get another speedier CD?)

I'm going to run over to the tactics thread and argue lineups, tactics, and strategies. What we're doing sure as hell isn't working.

Go ... f@#$ it!

- Mark

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we fit in his long-term plans? I mean, if you were Danny would you want to stay or leave?

bobby_guzman repped this.
  22. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was in Cancun. He did not play during preseason because he was supposedly in his home country working on his green card, which still did not go through...

23. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly!! Danny is probably looking for a nice long term deal that pays well.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_5558.JPG
    Cummings & Lima were caught ball watching.

25. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMG_5559.JPG
    Still ball watching as the NYRB center forward stays quiet while wearing the cloak of invisibility (Harry Potter fans)