New women's league planned for 2013

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kolabear, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    a four-round draft of college kids is more of a publicity stunt than anything else anyway - what are we talking about? 4 players out of a camp roster of 22-25?

2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The discussions I've read made roster sizes more likely 18, no more than 20. You can also expect some undrafted rookie signings, especially next year with an incredible talent pool expected.

3. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    presumably when they start pre-season they'll have a few "free agents" or whatever and cut down to that 18-20.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What it mostly does is get the coach/GM off the friends & families list on their phone. Because of the low cap I see most free agents being regional or players with past associations. That works fine for a team with a solid club history to build on. If ur KC or the like, the draft gives u a shot at four players u normally wouldnt have a chance at, two of which may actually give u some minutes.

babranski and Morris20 repped this.
  5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Good point.

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No news leaks?!? Hasn't anybody got any information about anything? When and how the allocations will be announced even? It is clear to me that USSoccer wanted to wait until after Ballon D'Or, but do we even know who actually has the allocation information? Have the teams been informed? Have I missed something?

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    From what I've heard, I'm almost positive something will be announced anytime now.
    Possibly tomorrow, probably later in the week.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, instead of just saying "From what I've heard" with no references, I'll point out something Brian Budzinski (@kcsoccerdome) tweeted yesterday:
    Also, what he posted on the 5th:
    Still pretty vague, but it's more than nothing. He hasn't responded to a direct question asking about when the list is made public.

CoachJon and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  10. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    CANAmerican repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not really... I mean, it's not much, but now we know the teams have (or at least should have) their allocation lists by now (at least as of yesterday). Again, no hard evidence or confirmation, but it's a date we didn't have before. And if they've kept to the date, then the teams now know who they have and leaks or official announcements of "first players" could be coming even by late today. Now, I doubt that, but it's at least possible now.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would at least be nice if the 3 Federations put out the list of players they will be allocating (maybe they did, my bad).

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I reading the story right, that the teams have just submitted their choices and that the actual allocation is still to be decided? Or has everyone agreed to things and the submissions are just a formality so to speak?

"...NWSL team allocation lists were due to be submitted to the National Women’s Soccer League and U.S. Soccer, a team source disclosed...."

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A third party is doing the allocation itself, so if lists are being submitted TO the league and feds, I took that to mean the allocation itself is done....

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If the players were smart, they were less concerned where they played than who they played with. Sure, some of them want to maintain local ties but lets say the "new kids" (Cheney, Heath, Rodriguez) decide they want to play together in the league. They just pick a city like KC and make it their top priority. It's better than ending up anywhere with anyone.

16. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about the third party; which did the allocations based on the teams' and players' choices? (and whichever players that had to agree to go to KC :()

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I though they were vaguely saying that both the players and the teams had finished with the lists, submitted their priorities and were now going to the allocator.

18. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it to mean that the lists are being submitted by the teams, not by the third party. The third party has yet to parse the team and player preferences and come up with a set of allocations. But if that's being done algorithmically, one hopes that it won't take long.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My main concern about playing in KC would be less about the local and more about the coach. Whether he turns out to be a genius or not, most of the other teams did a better job coach wise. They either offered a known quantity from the old league or a name of note like Parlow or Harvey.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Well, I created my own random model, and used the website random.org (min # 1, max #24, and then clicked generate) to randomly place the 24 players with their designated random player # I gave them ahead of time, and randomly generated them to each roster.

Here is how the randomized allocations turned out.
    Ya see, my model took like two minutes. Their model is taking forever.

Seattle Reign: (Abby Wambach, Shannon Boxx, Becky Sauerbrunn)
    Portland Thorns: (Christie Rampone, Heather O'Reilly, Jill Loyden)
    FC Kansas City: (Amy Rodriguez, Amy LePielbet, Nicole Barnhart)
    Chicago Red Stars: (Megan Rapinoe, Rachel Buehler, Ashlyn Harris)
    Western NY Flash: (Lauren Cheney, Melissa Henderson, Heather Mitts)
    Washington Spirit: (Alex Morgan, Carli Lloyd, Kelley O'Hara)
    Sky Blue FC: (Tobin Heath, Stephanie Lopez, Hope Solo)
    Boston Breakers: (Sydney Leroux, Lori Lindsey, Ali Krieger)

Actually I kinda like this allocation.
    Some of these players would look better in a fresh new uniform.
    Abby would actually look really cool wearing the Seattle Reign logo.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I guess you read it better than I did... I'm still confused by the previous wording, but Goff just tweeted that the allocation itself is happening today/tomorrow, unclear when the results will be announced.
    Meh. =-/

22. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Blue FC has announced dates for two sets of open tryouts. (Who says things are not getting done?)
    http://www.skybluefc.com/home/687164.html

My memory is that no one from past open tryouts by Sky Blue made the final rosters, but there was the comment :
    "...“We will also be having a reserve team this season, which presents even more chances for players..."

I don't know if that mean a relationship with a W-league team (like the Wildcats) or "development" like players to fill rosters when National players are away. Any thoughts?

23. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked yesterday to a parent of a player and I asked if the player knew anything and the answer was she had made her choices, but as far as the parent knew, she had not heard back yet.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    @NWSL just tweeted that the full list of 55 players will be published later today.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    55? Someone back out? Not a biggie, but figured the teams were going to complain about the lack of allocation. Hopefully, they just use $$ to compensate.