NEW USMNT KITS & CREST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Lucho305, Feb 6, 2016.

1. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I can't decide whether the 1963 or 1967 Pan-Am ones are the worst ones ever. I think that 1963 has the edge - along with the fact that the shirt actually says "Pan Am Games," the periods in "U.S.A" somehow raise the lameness to another level.

The 1972 Olympic shirts look a lot like the 2020 ones (which are among my favorites). I think that the closest thing to an "iconic" kit style that the US has come up with is all-white with navy/red horizontal stripes somewhere on the shirt/sleeves/socks. It's kind of similar to the ways that flag colors are incorporated in Germany's classic look.

2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like the 1959 and 1973 versions. I'm previously on record really liking the 1950 shirt as well.

3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of recent US shirts, the 2018 version fits the best for what I see as the “foundation” shirt. That was the shirt we would have worn in Russia had things not imploded. You can do a lot of different things with red accents, and I actually thought that was well done.

The throwback idea is more of a special alternate in my long-held idea that the US kit setup should be something like this.
    • Primary-White with red accents
    • Secondary-red or blue base. Can definitely mix things up on a regular basis. The red kit @rgli13 showed is a good starting point. The 2010 blue kit is also a good example of a solid secondary kit, as is the 2017 Gold Cup kit (minus the stars on the shoulders)
    • Waldos as a permanent third kit to wear when we can
    • More conceptual alternate kits (1994 throwback, current throwback being presented,different colored kits, etc.)

TKyle repped this.
  4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever that is, it isn't the Olympic uniform. Teams don't wear their regular federation crests in the Olympics.

[​IMG]

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its a bummer that the denims were adidas, cause i love the array of stars- a remake that was even all navy with those stars would be killer.

6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tomásbernal repped this.
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see a graphic with all the known kits the US has played with, sorted by year. @rgli13 posted two graphics that showed kits from 1916-83 (cool to see!). If such a thing exists, or one of you BS folks can make it happen then, well, make it happen!

8. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well then, i will add the final 3 pages (i didnt before because weve all seen these)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s good to see the full history of kits. Just shows how we’ve been all over the map with no real unifying identity.

Looking at these, here are the kits I’d use as inspiration for a true “identity”/primary. All of these are the white shirts for a given year unless noted.
    • 1995 Copa
    • 2017 Gold Cup (replace navy with white, make the red stripes smaller)
    Here are some of the secondaries I like
    • 2011 red
    • 2010 blue
    • 2006 blue
    • 2017 Gold Cup (no stars)
    • 2014 special edition
    2021, Centennial, Waldos, and 1994 are all good third kit ideas with the Waldo being a permanent third kit.

The Clientele repped this.
  10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    primary: 2008 World Cup Qualifiers (white)
    secondary: 2006 World Cup (blue)
    third: 2007 Copa America

11. Ryan T Smith

Ryan T Smith Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    May 10, 2022
    Either of these 2 options:

Primary: 2004 Special Edition
    Secondary: 2017 Gold Cup

Or...

Primary: 2012 World Cup qualifying (Waldo kit)
    Secondary: 2010 World Cup (blue kit)

12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough, but I think the 2010 navy WC jersey is my favorite of all of them. It also happens to be the only USMNT jersey I've ever owned, but it disappeared a few years ago--and I have no idea how. I'm still sad about it.

CeltTexan, RefIADad and The Clientele repped this.
  13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    The 2004 special edition is very similar to Peru, but the sash is reversed. I would like some unique and recognizable; it may work. I do like the waldos as both unique and recognizable.

15. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of like the ‘28 and ‘36 Olympic jerseys. The 1950 is also a classic but then we’d exchange the Leeds critics for Peru critics.

17. Bande

Bande New Member

Sep 27, 2022
    Check out the 1983 NASL Team America jersey.

That should be the home kit.

Bajoro and tomásbernal repped this.
  18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not my favorite design, but it would probably be the most recognizable of all the designs, and is the kind of thing that could see minor adjustments over different iterations (ala Argentina/Peru/Brazil) and still be immediately recognized as the US jersey by anyone.

19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    We need to start a movement: Waldos for 2026.

May as well reiterate some form of the denim wonders as well.

TKyle, Ryan T Smith and theboogeyman repped this.
  20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, hell no! You should get a yellow card for talking like that.

21. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I’m ready to storm the Nike headquarters if they don’t bust out where’s Waldo for 2026, but the denim ones suck.

I feel strongly that US Soccer should insist on the ww shirts becoming our permanent go-tos. They talk all the time about developing an identity, and the uniform is part of that. It’s definitely part of the identity for countries like Brazil and the Netherlands.

22. Ryan T Smith

Ryan T Smith Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    May 10, 2022
    Exactly. It's unique (no other national team primarily uses hoops in their jerseys), and it's American (the stripes are from our flag). But Nike and USSF only want to milk every last dollar out of the fans' pockets, so they come out with new designs every year or two. And don't tell me we can't use it since it's not primarily one color, because Croatia wears their checkerboard kits all the time.

theboogeyman and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia has made pretty big changes to their kit since 1998 to make it comply with FIFA.

Here is the 2022 jersey. The back is all white, as are the shorts and socks.

upload_2023-10-12_12-31-30.png

Here is the 2002 jersey.

upload_2023-10-12_12-32-42.png

The US can easily do something that incorporates stripes/hoops and still be compliant with FIFA guidelines. Here is SKC’s 2015 change kit. Sub red for light blue and white for navy blue.

upload_2023-10-12_12-35-36.jpeg

TKyle repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Copa America '95 were my faves. Then comes Waldos.

25. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Yep. That’s why it’s so frustrating. Brazilians wouldn’t go out and buy a new shirt every year, or put up with radical changes, but Americans are dumb enough and rich enough to go along with it without asking questions. The WWs with blue shorts are so sharp and so unique. It could become part of our international identity in soccer, but it means a loss of money for the folks in charge.