NEW USMNT KITS & CREST

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Lucho305, Feb 6, 2016.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about the Croatia shirts is that they were paired with white shirts and shorts. The entire back of the shirt was also white. Croatia still had issues whenever the played a team that wore red and white. Even though Croatia was technically the home team against England and Denmark, they had to wear their dark kits both games because the "light" kit conflicted with both sets of kits (white and red) for those countries. In 2018, Croatia was only able to wear their primary kit twice - Game 1 against Nigeria and the final against France.

The "photoshopped" Waldo might work, but the red would have to be pretty thin. If we did something like that for a World Cup, we would need to have an all-blue kit like Croatia did to have a clear contrast.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I think the white with red accent look can be done a lot of different ways where it's still an identity but with some different looks. Here are a few.
    1. White sleeves and back, red stripes on the front like the old SKC kits
    2. A single hoop like the current Vancouver home kits
    3. A vertical stripe like the 2006 home kit (a very underrated kit)
    4. Very thin red piping like the 2009 Confederations Cup kit
    5. Red sash (similar to Peru)
    6. The 2018 home kit was always a favorite of mine (red and blue horizontal stripes)
    I'm sure there are others. If FIFA wants to stick with two kits (I don't understand why they would, as 3rd kits would seem to be another revenue stream), then the change kit can be predominantly red and/or blue. You then have license to do a lot with 3rd kits, including the full-fledged Waldo that you could wear whenever you can.

TKyle and GoalGoalUSA repped this.
  2. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me with those who like the “boring” white home jerseys. Go nuts on the away, but leave the homes traditional and clean. The current iteration is quite nice, but I hate the haphazard red/navy away and that’s how it should be. This is ultimately a matter of taste so give each camp one shirt.

My favorite US home jerseys have been
    2000 home
    2020 home
    2006 home
    2014 home

The Clientele repped this.
  3. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all you Waldos fans

4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, man! I love a good jersey discussion. Especially of our NT jersey. I’m disappointed I’ve missed out on this because I’ve been busy.
    Agreed on all points. More on Waldos below.
    All of this. Similar to Croatia, red and white hoops could be considered “predominantly white” but, like Argentina, it would have to be predominantly white (including the areas for numerals on back and maybe front depending on design) with red accents. More below.
    Yes! Like this:
    Something like this might work: predominantly white, with red stripes to declare “This the USA.”

The Clientele and PabloSanDiego repped this.
  5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1555 TKyle, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    Now I can’t find it, but someone upthread astutely commented on the fact that Croatia’s red-and-white, although “predominantly white”, couldn’t be worn at the WC against “red” teams like Denmark or against “white” teams like England. [Edit: it was @RefIADad.].
    We’d face the same thing in CONCACAF vs “reds” (Canada, Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad, etc) and “whites” (Honduras, some of the Caribbean nations or territories). I think the key thing here is to have the jersey be predominantly white with enough red stripe accents to be easily identifiable as “USA.”

Somewhere upthread a couple of years ago I wrote a long post about this very subject.

Edit: Found it! NEW USMNT KITS & CREST

6. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1556 TKyle, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    I’m in near full agreement. IMO, the “red accents” should be red stripes—even thin pinstripes, or thin vertical stripes instead of hoops (because eff Paraguay!).
    And I also love the 2018 shirt—“the World Cup jersey that should have been.”

7. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1557 PabloSanDiego, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    in all the other competitions (WCQ, Gold Cup, Nations League, etc.) teams can use their 3rd jersey. For example Canada wore an all black kit this past year. And 3rd kits are becoming more and more prevalent as they are popular with many fans and provide additional revenue for the teams. As someone said, I think soon 3rd kits will be allowed for World Cup too.

So for now this is really only an issue during the World Cup every 4 years and for those we can "lighten up" our Waldos. I keep going back to that 2018 Croatia shirt, it's more red than the Waldo.

And Honduras wears a blue secondary kit, there is zero issue with that even with a full blown Waldo. It's just the teams that have one all red kit and one all white kit and no third kit. So for those instances we can wear our alternate.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Here's a supposed leak of the new US away jersey. It's a cleaned up version of that hideous blue shirt that has been posted multiple times in this thread. Pretty generic IMO.

9. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This stinks

jjmack repped this.
  10. USA94

USA94 Member

SoCal
    United States
    Dec 27, 2019
    doubt the "final design" not the overall look tough.

according to pretty much all other rumors:
    • Nike swosh(es) will be on shoulder(s)
    • crest centered (as many other national teams have for their World Cup kits)

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those look like uniforms for the women's team. They should be topped off w/ flowers in their hair.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  12. JonFarts

JonFarts Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Pretty boring. I expected nothing else from Nike.

CyphaPSU and jjmack repped this.
  13. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1563 PabloSanDiego, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    yeah I don't believe it at all. Who is this "Footy All Knower"?

1. Brand new Twitter account from April 2022
    2. Has zero previous tweets
    3. has 46 Twitter followers, and that's 21 hours after he tweeted this. So 47 hours ago he probably had only his mom as a follower
    4. won't cite his source, won't even respond to questions in his own tweet
    5. nobody else on the Internet is reporting this
    6. clearly it's from some low end design package where he can't even get the fonts right

I won't even get into the design issues, such as he didn't even get the leaked royal blue color right. And how can the fonts not be finalized? This shirt has to be in production in Asia somewhere by now, at the very least the design must be complete if they are going to selling this in quantity in 1 month.

IMO it's just a lame attempt by some nobody who spent 5 minutes in a kit design app to get some clicks and followers.

@schrutebuck thanks for the post, I like seeing anything and everything related to our upcoming kit and you did say "supposed", keep posting all the leaks!

the wait continues....

TKyle, USOutlaw16 and schrutebuck repped this.
  14. Joe Kurr

Joe Kurr Member

Sporting Kansas City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    If the kits are as bland as what some of what we're seeing it would be the first World Cup in memory where we've not had above average kit.

2018: Really liked both kits, BUT we didn't get to see them on the world stage.
    2014: The iconic Bomb Pop! Still a favorite
    2010: The sash jerseys
    2006: Really underrated home kit IMO

15. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yuck. Hopefully the US social accounts mentioning Waldo kits is foreshadowing

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    If not Waldo, then at least go with a kit inspired by this ^
    Worked out pretty well for us last time we were in these as underdogs.

17. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1998 World Cup kits were underrated. Shame that we played so poorly in them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

00Kevin and PassionOfTheFoot repped this.
  18. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really can't wait for a credible leak (i.e., actual photos from somewhere) to come out on the USA WC kits. And then stand by for all the bitchin' and moanin!

I'm thinking any day now! They must be in production already.

19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1569 TKyle, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    Quick bit of old business/housekeeping: Yes, Honduras’ secondary kit is blue. If we wore Waldos in a home match for us, they wear blue. BUT in San Pedro Sula (or at Guatemala or at Martinique; probably others), if they wear white, I think we’d not be able to wear Waldos (i.e. Croatia in black vs England). Although, interestingly, in the 2013 Gold Cup, we wore waldo shirts with white shorts and socks while Honduras wore blue and white striped shirts with blue shorts and socks. So who knows.
    The thing is, unless there are 3rd kit options, there are a LOT of nations with red and white as the two options. A partial list (considering there are occasional differences—ie Wales’ yellow secondary recently): Costa Rica, Panama, Trinidad, Chile, Peru, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Wales, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria, Turkey, England, Poland, Serbia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Tunisia, Iran, China, and South Korea,
    (Ok, that bit wasn’t quick!)
    I’m prepared for a lot of bitchin’ and moanin’. Including from myself. Considering it is Nike we’re dealing with here!
    (Actually, it’s our own federation responsible for the mundane yields. Nike has shown they’re capable of great designs—ie Nigeria.)

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and hopefully a bunch of cargo containers full of them wont fall off a ship and be lost at sea :laugh:

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2022/08/containers-full-of-adidas-22-23-leeds.html

PabloSanDiego repped this.
  21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not really a problem. Wearing a secondary kit at an away match is fine. With the USMNT usually having white home kits, they need to wear a secondary kit against white-clad home teams anyway. If they ever go back to the Waldo, it would be pretty much required to have all-blue for secondary/away, assuming they stay with traditional colors. (Remember anthracite?)

TKyle repped this.
  22. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this makes no sense. Nobody is saying the US wears the Waldo in 100% of their matches. That's the whole purpose of a second kit. On the road the home team chooses so yeah we'd have to use our second kit.

We wear the Waldo at home, Honduras wears their blues. Honduras wears their white at home, we wear our dark secondary, probably blue or maybe some other color in some cycles. I don't understand your example why this is an issue, it's how it commonly works.

the second part though is the whole issue, how does this work with teams that only have an all red and an all white kit. It could force us into our blue secondary, but that may not work vs a dark red color as its dark on dark. Or, as we've discussed the Waldo is designed so it's basically a white kit that can be worn when playing a team in all red. Or as I hope 3rd kits become the norm and then there are no issues. I think we can make the Waldo work.

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly I was unclear with my post. I agree completely with what @ThreeApples and @PabloSanDiego just said. I thought I was saying the same thing just in more detail in my example. My apology for the confusion.
    Of course if your primary doesn’t clash with a other nation’s primary, you could wear your primary on the road (ie we could wear a primary Waldo in Jamaica instead of blue; we’ve worn white vs yellows before). I think the goal (maybe not goal but desire) would be to wear a primary Waldo as much as possible, except where conflicts exist.

PabloSanDiego repped this.
  24. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    That was a nice one, but (especially with the navy shorts) it looked nearly identical to the England kit from the previous World Cup. Not great for creating a recognizable visual identity.

In general, I think that a goal for any national team home uniform should be that you can tell which team is playing on TV from all the way across the bar. The USA will never be like Argentina, Italy, or Brazil in that regard - but I think that we could get closer to that ideal than we have. From the mid-to-late 90s, the USA had a couple of all-white home kits with a combination of navy and red horizontal stripes - both of which I liked. Sticking to variations on that theme would have created some continuity.

TomEaton repped this.
  25. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok all good and clear now, but you're right the issue is the red and white teams.

The question is can the Waldo be played vs a team in all red, maybe if it is changed to be more white. The back is already pretty much all white, the sleeves can be made more or all white, the red stripes can be made smaller and/or faded. Would this be enough to allow it to be played vs say Iran in their all red kit?

I keep going back to that 2018 Croatia kit that tells me it can be done. Maybe it means we end up in a blue/dark secondary more often. As a Waldo lover, I'd be OK with that.

so looking at the upcoming WC, here are the USMNT matches. I think the first listed team is the "home" team and gets to wear their primary kit:

USA v Wales: Waldo v all yellow second kit
    ENG v USA: All white v all blue
    Iran v USA: All White v all blue

so it's natural that during our 2 "away" matches we have to wear our away kit. So just assume we go thru as the 2nd place Group B Team, so we'd be the way team I think in knockouts.

1A (Netherlands) v USA: Orange v Waldo
    QF: USA v ARG/FRA/MEX: I think Waldo works v all 3, maybe not ARG it it's too light

I won't go beyond that as its a pipe dream US gets to the SF and there are too many possible opponents, but Brazil, Spain, Germany are probably favorites.

I know that's a lot of speculation, but it seems to me the Waldo is just fine even during the World Cup which is the most restrictive tournament. For all the other matches which is >90% of our games the 3rd kits come into play so it shouldn't be an issue.