New Uniform Screw Up?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Feb 3, 2016.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Brian Strauss at SI.com says the tape in the new uniforms says "Without Representation Taxation" instead of -- well you know what. Shows what happens when you translate from English to German and back again. Sheesh.

Orignally, I wanted to say "New Jersey Screw Up" and everyone would think Metrodonkeys.

2. Boda United

Boda United Member

Apr 18, 2003
    No. Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Political views don't belong on sports jerseys IMHO.

3. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    It just seems weird since it's not like the owners /mgmt are even from here. It's like they're trying too hard to prove their DC bona fides

Oveki8 repped this.
  4. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Then why put flags on the sleeves? And what about the "United We Stand" patches after 9/11?
    Where do you draw the line?

asitis

DCUSKINS and song219 repped this.
  5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are either of your examples political views?

Eastern Bear and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because some people believe that the 9/11 patch really has no place on a sports jersey.

James

fatbastard repped this.
  7. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Nationalism or even patriotism isn't political? Look at which of the political candidates wear a flag pin.

My memory may be a little off, but didn't a number of states pass laws protecting the flag from "desecration", only to have the Supreme Court rule that burning the flag is protected speech.
    I came of age during the Vietnam war. Display of the flag was a very strong political statement at that time and I think it still is for many.

Personally, I have less of a problem with the "Taxation without Representation" motto than I do with the gratuitous (imo) display of the flag. But, those are my political prejudices.

asitis

tallguy and fatbastard repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Taxation without representation is a statement of fact. DC residents pay federal income tax but do not have voting representatives in Congress. Now that fact can be used in a political argument, but no sentient being can disagree that it is a verifiable "fact." OTOH, the use of symbols such as the flag, crosses, crescents, etc. are inherently political.

ImNumberTen and asitis repped this.
  9. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I don't know those people.

Adler and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a political statement.

Barack Obama wears a flag pin. Donald Trump wears a flag pin. You really think they're making a political statement?

How could it a political statement when Toronto FC had the Canadian flag on their sleeve at the same time that EVERY US team had the American flag on their sleeve? There's a difference between every team wearing its nation's flag on a sleeve to misguided Vietnam War issues.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  11. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    And Obama and Trump aren't political?
    Why do you think they put a flag on the sleeve? To take up space? Because they can?
    Patriotism or a lack thereof is a political issue in this country. I don't know about Canada. It's a 'merican thing. I don't know of other leagues that put flags on the jerseys.
    Peace.

asitis

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Murica!!!!

13. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    de tuk er jobs!

asitis and fatbastard repped this.
  14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I could care less about something the Addias can fix in 3 1/2 minutes.

15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said "Look at which of the political candidates wear a flag pin" as if you're making a political point. I was pointing out that since both Obama, a Democrat, and Trump, a Republican, each wear a flag pin, it's not a political point. Because it isn't one if people from both parties do it.

Because the league jerseys everyone wore had them? If it's standard league design, it's not a political statement.

Patriotism isn't an American thing.

16. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this may come as no surprise to anyone, but I see both sides being argued here. I would say that wearing a flag pin (maybe not the best example) is not a political statement-- at least if you're an elected official, an employee of the government represented by that flag-- when you're talking about things happening in the United States. However, if someone outside, say Prime Minister were to wear a US flag pin, that would be a political statement.

See I agree that those people wearing it are not making political statements, but I'm not sure I agree completely on the reasoning that's been offered. I would say that there are more than 2 parties in our political system, and just because the two major ones wear a pin, doesn't mean it's not a political statement. It could be a political statement if a Libertarian purposely doesn't wear it, but it also might not be.

We could get into a massive dialogue about patriotism and its merits and pitfalls, but generally it's not seen as a political statement to be patriotic, or express solidarity with your fellows.

I think in this particular issue of the jersey, yes, I think that's an undeniable political statement. While it's not ideal, not what I would prefer, I think it's not offensive to me. And I think the club probably realizes that this particular political statement is not really offensive to anyone.

Politics and soccer have always been closely related, just not so much here.

17. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the original slogan, I'm sure many will recall the debate over DC's license plate, where some government body or agency found "no taxation without representation" to be a political slogan, but "taxation without representation" was instead deemed to be anodyne and nonpolitcal, and thus appropriate to use on a license plate.

Obviously this is silly, they're both political in one sense or another, just like putting a flag on a jersey is or other public displays of patriotism are. The idea that if both Dems and Reps agree on something it's not political is clearly wrong. Again, in this case, the platform of the DC Republican party calls for voting representation for the District in Congress. Guess since the Dems do too that means "taxation without representation" is not a political statement?

http://dcgop.com/about/platform/

18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just advertisements.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if they do fix it, the original ones can be worn as a badge of honor. Maybe they'll be worth more cause they are more rare.

shawn12011 repped this.
  20. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    You mean because there's such a strong secondary market for DCU jerseys?

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There could be if they're rare. Wouldn't be a very big market I wouldn't think to make a sale. But all it takes is one buyer willing to pay more. Personally, I wouldn't care, but there might be a few who would.

22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Remember the Natinals !!

Alejandro 10, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  23. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I know you know this, but Mr. Obama is not a candidate and I'm sure there are other democrats who wear flag pins. That's not the point. The point is that those who do are making a subtle political statement, imo.

Maybe you've been living around DC too long. Come down a little further south in VA to a rural county. You'll see people riding around waving big-ass American and Confederate flags with Trump and Cruz stickers on their cars, If the Vietnam War is too far back in history for you, what about Bush II's Iraq war? When protests developed, flag decals appeared (in my area) with the banner "These colors don't run"; to which some clever fellow replied, "but they do bleed". Remember "Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore."

No, patriotism isn't exclusively an American thing, but I do believe it's a bit different here. Rather than unifying, it often is a divisive issue if you're considered not patriotic enough: God and country and all that stuff

Look we've taken this conversation waaay afield. There's much more that could be said. but I'm going to stop here. The last word is yours, sir.
    Peace.

asitis

DangSkippy and Winoman repped this.
  24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Political means someone making a statement you disagree with.

DangerMouse37 repped this.
  25. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm O.K. with this because the right to vote and to have elected political representatives is at the heart of democracy. Frankly, I think that the District ought to be spun off (lock, stock and barrel) to Maryland. If Maryland doesn't want the District or if Congress won't allow it, the District ought to be granted statehood.

As far as the "Taxation Without Representation" slogan goes, I think that United is doing the right thing.