New UK labor/work permit rules

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Jan 18, 2013.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Pl@ymaker and sXeWesley repped this.
  2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...h-overseas-players.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Football

As it appeared in the Sun, where ESPN probably copied it from whilst omitting this detail:

3. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Taison was transferred for $20M this very winter period.

But I suppose they're trying to make the system less ... eh, riggable and MLS players wouldn't have the $1.6M to invest anyway.

FWIW, the old "college degree" trick that some alleged about Greg Dalby trial with PNE a few years back must have never even existed.

5. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think it would be pretty easy to get to $1.6M if you get a nice premier league contract and buy a house and a couple of cars etc. I would also imagine that their was a certain amount of time over which the money must be invested. I suppose it could be an up front payment, but I doubt it.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's upfront, just like in the US ($1.5M in real estate or $1M in business).

But, while Taison might have £1M upfront, a Geoff Cameron would have to hawk his undies to get $100K.

7. smscy

smscy New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    *Would have had to
    Sure Geoff could walk into any bank in England with a couple pay stubs and get a loan tomorrow

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you can just buy a house and call it a day. Usually calls for an actual business that employs so many people to count. Don't think too many Yanks will be using this option, unless the Gates kids decide they want to play in the UK.