New sub rule affect

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Fanof Twelve, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Fanof Twelve

Fanof Twelve New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Huntersville, NC
    If this topic has been discussed elsewhere, I apologize. I searched most of the existing threads and did not see it.

Now that we have seen a couple of weeks of competition, does it seem like the new substitution rule is having an impact on the college soccer game? The few games that I've seen, it appears the players are out of gas in the 75-80th minutes. It also appears that more late goals are being scored, and I'm wondering if it could be due in part to the substitution management.

2. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    no difference

I've seen no difference with the no reentry rule in each period. The team I'm most familar with (UMD) seems to sub about the same as last year. At the 30 minute mark of each half a forward or two will come off and with 5-10 minutes left in the half a midfielder or two will come off. The back four and GK never come off. This is pretty standard unless the game is a rout. The only thing that might come up is if a player gets hurt early in a half. A coach tends to be reluctant to make replacement too quickly as might have happened in the past knowing he's lost that player for the period.

3. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I thought about starting this topic a few days ago. Thanks for taking the initiative Fo12.

I've noticed a small difference this year. A few weeks ago Clemson played USF and went up 2-0. Clemson coach, Addair made his subs at about the 70 minute mark or so. USF managed to get one goal near the end and the balance of play was in their direction. I would bet Addair may have felt he made one or two subs too many. Then again it was a non-conference game so maybe he used it to get more players in. Point being that whatever the reason he made that many subs, he was not able to "unmake" his decision.

Last weekend I watched the Clemson/Duke game. Clemson scored a very early goal and held on for most of the game. Duke pressed in hard from the left, right and up the center. Eventually they got their goal. Clemson did NOT make many subs in this game but their front men were rested and they easily got a few man-even scoring opportunities. I think they got those opportunities because Duke was tired and not able to make subs in the midfield. Duke in the past Duke might have subbed and bunkered but didn't. Eventually Clemson got their goal to win 2-1.

So far Furman has given up many late goals to take two losses and a tie. Against USF they were up 1-0 for most of the game but managed to lose 1-2 in the last five minutes. Against St. Louis they held on to a 0-0 tie until losing in overtime. Against Elon they held on to a 1-0 lead until giving up a late goal to tie 1-1. I think the sub rule COULD have been used by Furman to hang on to each of those games.

I think as coaches learn to deal with the new sub rule they are going to let the feild get spread out. One thing I really don't like about college soccer is how close the defensive lines play from each other. When the ball's near the center line, the defenses can be at most 30 yards from each other. This will change as the year goes on. I hope that we will see more creative midfield play.

- - - - - -

If someone has time on their hands, it would be nice to do an analysis of when goals were scored and how many were scored compared to last year. I would bet scoring near the end is up. If someone has the data in one place then I would be happy to do it. For instance does the ACC keep records like that all together somewhere?