New stadium still a possibility?

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by StlSpursFan, Jan 14, 2010.

1. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Richmond Heights has re-posted the Hadley Heights proposition. This was by far the best proposal,only could be better being in the city and not surrounded by parking/campus style business zoning, but would definitely take it.

Interesting....

http://www.richmondheights.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2600

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    How old it that document? It still talks about building a "MLS" stadium, and uses the old SLSU logo.

Anyway, however up-to-date it is, I haven't been a fan of the general idea for a while now. Why are people so bent on putting hotels, a movie theater, retail, etc., in the development plan? ITTET, that all seems more like a liability than an aid. And I don't want all that stuff, it's frivolous, just give me the stadium, some nice extra fields, and enough parking.

I think all parties involved should at least wait and see how well ACSTL draws before aiming for a stadium about 14k.

3. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    This was posted a year ago.

4. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    yes but they took it down for like 3 or 4 months and then put it back up, just thought it was wierd. I too would like to see just a stadium, no parking either. put it next to a metro station and let ppl figure it out for themselves how to get to the game. too many parking lots/garages in st louis already

5. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come on, you have to have parking. in a dream world it would be nice to not have it or minimal parking, but people drive here, especially Il and metro St. Louis and beyond. To tell fans they had to take Metro or battle for a parking spot would keep some people from attending or becoming season ticket holders and would keep attendance low, that's just reality.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    If/when ACSTL goes for a new stadium, I cannot imagine they would go smaller than MLS sized. MLS is still their goal.

7. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I can't imagine them bothering with a new stadium until they are on their way to the MLS.

8. mednus

mednus New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Ontario
    Why not? Montreal built a 13,000 seat stadium for USL-1!

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But they did so at a time when Saputo was referring to MLS as a "crap league" and never showed any indication of wanting to move to MLS. So they thought USL was long term and the highest level.

Things are different for Cooper.

10. mednus

mednus New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Ontario
    True things are different for Cooper.
    He wants to show MLS they made a mistake!
    Build your 20,000 seat stadium now and fill it!!!

11. Jozd

Jozd Member

Oct 18, 2009
    red rock vs blu rock
    Cooper said he wanted to add seats to the current stadium so he will probably see if those fill first B4 doing anything else

12. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    If Cooper feels like he can fill a 13k seat stadium with an NASL team then he might go for it, but I expect he will be happy with the cheap 10k (?) seat stadium he has now (with upgrades). It would be different if he were starting from scratch.

13. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    We better fill the 6,000 Soccer Park first before expanding.

14. JJCoolbean

JJCoolbean New Member

Jun 16, 2002
    The reason you see the ancillary developments in these plans is to sweeten the pot for the local government. Inevitably, some public money/subsidy/tax break is going to be involved in the development of a stadium project. Even if its something like rerouting a street or other infrastructure adjustments, it does involve public money. Cities don't traditionally make a lot of money off of sports stadiums. That's why the politicians love the add-on developments that increase the tax base.

I can't imagine Collinsville would have bought into Cooper's concept without the spin-off developments that were proposed. If Cooper/whomever could come up with a great development involving a soccer specific stadium AND some great ancillary development then it would be much more likely that he/someone could get some type of public assistance (even if it's in the form of tax credits) from the city regarding a stadium. Personally, I wish a SSS could be part of the proposed North Side development.

If the Rams get a new stadium, maybe a SSS could be part of the overall development plan. Outdoor football and a SSS together would be perfect for me, though Cooper/whomever would have to bring something economically viable to the table.