new stadium = new name??

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by seven256, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I know what it means, and it's a dumb name. Who's going to be the lone player that they will send out on the field? Guevara? Youri? Wells? I say this because when it'll be the Metropolitian versus D.C. United, only one Metro will be playing, right? If what I'm saying is wrong, then the Mets, who spend more money on Carlos Beltran per year then Metros do on their entire team, would have done what you are suggesting.

2. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess this thread should be renamed "new stadium - let's discuss the current name until we bore people to death!" :rolleyes:

I like the current name, but IF it were to change, I'd prefer not to copy a European team with United, FC, Real, or the like. Of course, one name that would be fun is "Off the Ref". Has a real, edgy, urban gansta conotation, but most importantly, I can just see the headlines if we ever loose to New England again:

"Revs beat Off the Ref to win game on Saturday"...

3. trmtrm

trmtrm Member

Sep 19, 2002
    New Sweater
    It will be Guevara.

Right. Exactly right. You've finally understood the other side's arguement.

Baseball's a little different in that you need one really fast guy to pitch, then run from the mound to the plate and catch the ball. There aren'tmany guys like that, so they decided on using the name "Mets" instead of just "Met" so they could hire two guys.

But since the Mets needed at least the pitcher AND catcher, they could also hire other guys for the other positions, too, because the name let them.

See, for Metro, though, they will be able to give Amado a raise (to about $350,000 total), cut their overall salary expense by about $1.5M, thereby becoming profitable for the first time in the team's history.

So it's either "Metros" and continue to operate at a loss and probably have to fold, or "Metro" and finally become successfully profitable. It's really just a simpe, financial decision.

Glad you finally understand.

*furrfu*

4. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I'm speechless. I seriously am I having a tough time deciding whether or not you are serious.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    A soccer tema with a gay identity?...hmmm... might work.

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Nah, it's just denial. No one wants to accept that the team that's uspposed to be falgship club of MLS plays in NJ.

7. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SC Metros: Superclub Metros

8. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotham Metros.

9. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I like the idea, but it sounds too much like an name for an indoor sports team. Plus, Gotham isn't real. I think NY/NJ is the only thing that should be placed in front of the team name. Harrison is a town, not a city, so it sounds dumb having the Metropolitians come from a town, ya know? Newark would be fine, not Harrison.

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the MetroStars put the words "New York" in front of their name without actually moving there, I'd disavow any support of them, because they would be living a lie.

So Harrison is a town? It's all good. Why call them Newark if Newark had nothing to do with them? Not like Newark has cache or anything. New Jersey doesn't have real cities, so you go with you got.

11. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I said Newark just in case we moved to Newark...since Harrsion is up in the air.

12. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I wanted to quote this in full; your provincial myopia really needs to be appreciated by one and all. No thanks required.

Check out "Metro Soccer Report" on MSG-TV some time. Metro -- MSG has no problem with the name, neither has Shepp, neither have I.

You don't count; the lameness of your argument disqualifies you from further discussion. Have a good day. :)

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Metro can be the name of the team, just as Juventus is the name of the team. Rapid of Vienna is as much team as the Colorado Rapids, and with a longer history. Flamengo is the team name, not the Flamengos. The fact is a singular noun can be the name of a collective, a group, a team.

Which is correct: England is a team to be reckoned with or England are a strong side this time out? The answer is both; I recommend English 101 for further study of the matter.

Your ear is tuned to one sound only, the familiar sound of American sports names. Fine-and-dandy for you; many of us hear a broader tune than your one-note examples have to offer.

14. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Brownswan, I have English 101 covered pretty well. Do you have Forgein Language 101 covered? Ya see, verbs over there are different there then here. Also, did you know that Flamengo is a section in the city of Rio de Janiero? Want some more examples? Here's some: Sao Paulo, Botafogo, Gioas, Bahia, Sao Caetano, and Santos. Here's a Brazilian example proving why I'm right: Palmeiras. A palmeira is a palm tree. Now, tell me if I'm wrong. Do you want a team named the Palm Tree, or the Palm Trees? Now, this is a tropical country where there's palm trees in people's back yards, so don't let the specific name have an effect. Corinthians is also a great example.

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro Soccer Report is so named because it covers soccer in the metro area, not just the MetroStars. They cover local colleges, and covered the New York Power as well when they were around.

16. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    What he said.

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    1. Which foreign language? I have knowledge of German, though rusty from the lack of use over the years.

2. The subject is nouns, not verbs. In either case, the differences among the Indo-European languages are slight.

You give good examples of teams with plural nouns for their names; there are equally good examples of singular nouns as team names. That is the point.
    It is not essential that a team name be in plural rather than singular form. Either is acceptable as the name of a person, place or thing. What I can't accept is a statement that the singular form is not acceptable where Metro is concerned.

-- soy de Metro.

18. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Okay, you used typo smack. So will I. It's really supposed to be "Soy Del Metro." That is grammatically incorrect in Spanish.

In the US, team names are supposed to have some sort of relationship between the players and the location (Lakers, Eagles, Texans, Celtics, 76ers, etc.). Metros is fine because you are relating the metropolitian area and the players. I want to go watch the Metropolitians, not the Metropolitan. Why? Because, I'm not going to Giants Stadium to go see a city, I'm going there to see a team.

19. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    You are absolutely correct, but in 101 we sing "Soy de Metro" -- bad grammar and all. If my ears deceive me (and I do wear hearing aids), I will use correct grammar. I am willing accept a mistake -- and correct it. At any rate, the words were posted at metrofanatic.com, but the page won't come up for me to check the song.

It does seem many of our Spanish chants in 101 revel in bad grammar in any number of ways.

-- soy del Metro

20. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
  21. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It means "hurry" I was told -- "get a move on," "go for it."

22. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Thanks...I've always wondered that. I just figured it meant "let's go" or something of that nature.

23. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    "Dale" is the South American version of "vamos" (in the rooting sense of "come on" or "let's go")--I never heard it in Spain when I lived there, and I really don't think they say it much in Mexico, either.

24. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    If the team name were Metro, and if people insist that it needs to be short for Metropolitan, then the team wouldn't be referred to as "the Metropolitan". It would be just "Metropolitan". As in, "I want to go watch Metropolitan play tonight." And guess what, you wouldn't be seeing a city, you'd still be seeing a team.

25. seven256

seven256 Member

Jul 18, 1999
    NYC
    as seen in the below link...

"MLS NOTEBOOK

Ex-NASL players to reunite; fan wants to bring back Cosmos"

the answer is this.... let us scrap any recognition to the word METRO.. start over please, as my original post said....

as seen from KC Star, there will be an NASL reunion to lobby support to change the MetroStar name to the Cosmos.. please let this work (but i would only vote for this change once a stadium is secured)..

I'm seeing the bleachers of a new stadium painted in cosmo colors..

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12164817.htm