New stadium in Somerville

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by napolisoccer, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RgAeLrSrTaOrNd

RgAeLrSrTaOrNd New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously I would prefer a stadium in the Boston area, but a small venue across the street would be better than Gillette and could even become a decent situation.

For one thing, what exactly is Kraft planning on doing with his Patriots Place project? If it continues to become larger and has more attractions added to it, is it possible it will become a popular destination for New England and Boston residents? I would imagine that if Kraft were to build a stadium for the Revs as part of Patriots Place, he would continue to build up the area. Hopefully this would include some sort of shuttle to and from Boston.

If they do build a world class stadium and turn the current mall into a larger development with public tranportation from Boston, I don't think it would be all that bad. Otherwise, I'm against it. A downtown stadium would be ideal, but this option is much easier and could happen a lot faster.

2. RevsWeyMA

RevsWeyMA Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While reading the posts after my previous post, I started to wonder a couple of things about season ticket holders. I would guess for most sports franchises, these are the priority customers. So, does anybody have any idea 1) how many season ticket holders the Revs have, and 2) their geographic distribution?

Not that anybody here knows these things, but it would be interesting to see these figures if only to get a better view into what Kraft thinks. Business wonks love this kind of metric stuff, if only to make their presentations more interesting.

For example, if a majority of STH's live right in or around Boston, getting a stadium there makes perfect sense. But if STH's are evenly distributed throughout MA an RI, I might be able to see some bean-counter looking at that and thinking, "Um, our customers are all over the place, maybe foxboro is a better choice." Just some thoughts... what think ye?

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could this rumbling of I'll build it here if you won't let me build it there nonsense from Kraft just be to get the pencil pushers in Somerville/MBTA to move things along a bit....

Adriaen's Landing part 2:p

maybe just wishful thinking...

:eek:

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They would need to upgrade the freight line and reroute half the the Forge Park commuter rail service to start/end in Providence (all of it on the weekend). That would provide regular service to Gillette. By regular, I mean every two hours each way. Just be prepared to be paying $15 each way. It's $9 right now from that zone, the MBTA is itching to raise fares, and if they were to do that, guess where the hikes will be. However, I've never seen plans of such an upgrade, so it's probably moot.

5. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

with that being so close to my house I have a strange tingly feeling in my pants... Too bad it's a pipe dream

6. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    I have a hard time seeing Patriot Place being a shopping mall that people from Boston would drive 30+ miles to get too, when most if not all of the stores or their equivalent are available within the city.

7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parking?

8. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says you :p

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Somerville site is right next to 93, I'm not sure how you could take longer than 30 minutes to get there from Weymouth by car, barring an accident.

Heck, it only takes me about thirty-five minutes to get back from Gillette to where I live (East Boston). Of course, I drive a little too fast.

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In England they have vacation trips for the Wrentham Outlets.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this will spark some debate from the city dwellers but if the city contains so many fans how come viewings at the Banshee and other Boston bars have small crowds?

12. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bingo.

13. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Isnt wonderland stadium/track closing this year because of the vote?

Isnt that a suitable piece of land for a stadium?

Probably cheaper than brickbottom, but still subway accessible.

14. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've suggested it before but apparently it is not large enough, according to bigsoccer posters.

15. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Even when including the parking lot area?

16. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've suggested it before but apparently it is not large enough, according to bigsoccer posters.

17. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it isnt about the city containing fans. it is about potential fans.

ill turn the question back on you: how come they dont have viewing parties outside of Boston (aside from providence)?

18. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of whether the fans are evenly distributed or not should not have as large an effect on the decision as the market potential of an urban environment. Sadly (for STH) it is all about future customers. Exsisting customer relations are important, and help with brand reputation, but should never stand in the way of market potential or growth.

19. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hate revere, and avoid it at all costs, but would go there all the time if i could take the t.

20. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alewife

21. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. If they don't build a stadium near the T or near the city I am done. I despise driving to Foxborough; it reminds me of my commute to work because of the time and distance. I'll just stay home and watch the games on the teevee. Every other team is very serious about building a stadium. We barely hear anything about this from the Revs.

22. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The brand is tarnished from the early years. MLS was viewed as a joke early on with the clock going down, the shootouts, and time stoppages. Plus, the league tried to target kids much the way WPS is doing now. Eventually you'll destroy the value of your brand with its appropriate demographic: Soccer fans. I didn't become a serious Revs fan until I met Ed at a bar and he was like "wanna go to a Revs game," and I said "Sure why the ******** not?" Been season ticket holder ever since.

The new administration in the FO can try and try to improve things, and Lord knows they are, but I don't know what good it will do. The brand sucks and I can watch better soccer on tv at a pub on Saturday or Sunday. Plus, the national team.

Again, building a stadium IN THE GREATER BOSTON AREA (I.E. on the train) would give them a huge opportunity to restart locally. If they plan on building it out in Foxborough they might as well plan on moving the team to St. Louis instead because they'll draw better there.

23. Agrippa93

Agrippa93 Member

May 27, 2007
    CT
    I was always wondering why people don't like you very much and your last 2 post have convinced me why. I drive from Connecticut for every home game, which is an 1hr 40min drive one way and you're bitching about your drive. Poor you. I'd be frustrated that the Revs move farther away from me, but I would still hall my ass up even farther for every game and continue to support them.

I would feel much better if people with your attitude toward the team weren't Revs fans anymore. Maybe you should try supporting the Red bulls or the Fire. They could use more douche bag fans and you would probably fit right in.

24. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

I don't believe we've met Martin, I am Garrett. Why don't you come by my truck at the tailgate for a beer today?