New Stadium for Montreal Impact

Discussion in 'Montreal Impact' started by aleaguer, May 4, 2005.

1. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Doesn't say when it'll open. I'm sure there will be details eventually.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. So, that's Charleston, Montreal and Rochester. Am I missing any? Approaching half the league.

3. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    More, if the league keeps shrinking. :)

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm. Wonder where they get the 17,000 figure from? I'm assuming the expandability factor is because one side of the stadium will initially be open. But how do you know how many seats you could get into it?

On the downside, the 17,000 figure is probably indicative that the club doesn't aspire to MLS in the near future.

Even so, it'll be very good for the forward development of the club in the USL. This will be only the second time in my memory (after Rochester) that an SSS was built with the fact that the old stadium was too small to meet demand as one of the reasons.

They and Rochester togeteher, for as long as they're both in the league, could significantly raise the level and profile of the USL.

5. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Photos here.

Have they ever thought of doing renderings of the inside of the stadium? It looks like a YMCA from the outside.

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Atlanta is getting one, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awwwww......How cute.

7. Probably no coincidence that the capacity numbers are very similar to Rochester's Paetec park.

8. Wilmots

Wilmots New Member

May 3, 2005
    Montreal
    The main concern we have here in Montreal is the the field is only 100 x 64 meters, which is too small, according to FIFA regulations, to host international level games... including the games of the U20 World Cup...

Somebody missed a memo at some point, and I hope they're gonna fix this soon.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Umm, no it isn't. A field must be 70 yards wide (being an English game, all the original measurements are in English units) to host internationals. 64 meters is just big enough.

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    These two franchises increasingly measure themselves against each other. They are becoming the Lakers and Celtics of the USL.

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that can only be a good thing. Now that I think about it, there's a solid rivalry on the east, a solid three-way in the west. I wonder if that can be enough to stabilize things and start them going the other direction?

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Might. You're right it can't hurt. I personally believe a league wtiih two dominant franchises is in much better shape than a league with one.

13. That's sound OK to me by international standards. That means the field is 110 x 70 yards.

14. Wilmots

Wilmots New Member

May 3, 2005
    Montreal
    You're right. I double-checked and the FIFA minimum requirements are 100 X 64 m, so it's fine.

BUT... the rules for the U-20 championship stipulate that the fields must be between 105 and 110 m in length and between 68 and 75 m in width, and this is where the problem lies.

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Huh. Interesting. Perhaps the deal is that the field will be wider for the U-20 than for the Impact. I could especially see that happening if the stands are open on one side. (Which would also explain the expandability.) Pictures don't really look like it, though.

16. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I did the math. 100.6 X 64 meters is 110 X 70 yards.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    However, looking at the up-close version of the above picture, that dark green area is neither field nor stands, and could conceivably be used to temporarily widen the field. It wouldn't leave much room for throw-ins, it might complicate some of the views, and it would be lop-sided (there must be some room on the bottom side for benches), but it could work in a pinch, and would probably get you an extra 4 meters.

18. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    Will they have a poutine stand? Love that stuff.

19. Wilmots

Wilmots New Member

May 3, 2005
    Montreal
    Well, we need 4 meters in width and 5 meters in length. The length is not a problem since one end is open. And the stands are 3.5 meters away from the picth, so we only need 2 meters each side, which leaves 1.5 meters of space, the minimum required being (I believe) 1 meter, it's fine. Slightly unconfortable for the players and coaches on the bench, but fine... unless of course the benches are in the stands, like in England.

They should just go for 105 x 68 and build the stands around that with 3.5 meters off all around the pitch.

20. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive heard than atlanta was getting one a few years back, even saw sketches but nothing has come of it yet.

21. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good for Canada. Not only to they have an allready solid club getting a professional stadium the national team now has a respectable place to play. Hopefully Toronto(especially) and Vancouver can get their act together. Three solid A-League franchise would help soccer in Canada a ton.

22. Vascao

Vascao Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Zona Sul
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    'Phase I', or the outdoor practice/rec facilities, was completed in Summer 2004. I don't know how 'Phase II', ie the actual stadium, was coming along, but somewhere in the recesses of my mind I seem to recall ground having been broken.

Here's what it was supposed to look like, as of some time in 2004:
    [​IMG]

Supposed to seat 5000, I think, with little expandability, so it's a Div. I future for them, too. Definitely looks inspired by Blackbaud.