New Stadium Downtown for the GOATS ?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Going Mobile, Oct 23, 2012.

1. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commish stated that new owners will have to find The Los Angeles Soccer Club (my name) a stadium of their own

3. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    a DTLA stadium for a soccer team is a frickin gold mine. I hope its true.

WHy are people pessimistic about the DTLA stadium? USC wants a soccer team at the Sports Arena site. Garber wants an MLS team in DTLA. It seems possible.

sodi_gar repped this.
  4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because USC owning the stadium just changes out Galaxy for Trojans in being Chivas' landlords?

5. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    It's not the same. Chivas will have their own stadium and own territory. That's different than playing in the same stadium as the LAG and not having any territory to call their own.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will it really be their territory? I mean the Galaxy seem to have all the glitz and glitter that people in downtown LA and surrounds seem to crave. And they don't play on the edge of the rough neighborhoods that the sports arena area bumps up against.

7. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    the thing about DTLA is that its central to many working class neighborhoods. Neighborhoods like Pico Union, Boyle Heights, Angelino Heights, Highland Park, Montecito Heights, and Central LA. All of which are 10 minutes or less on the metro-rail to Downtown. To the extent that the Galaxy are a glamour club (I think thats a stretch) I think the soccer fans from these neighborhoods could really care less. The club that is playing in DTLA will certainly have an advantage to get soccer fans in these communities. Of course, it's not a guarantee. They could completely bottle it with horrible marketing/branding etc.

The Sports Arena is not nearly as bad an area as it used to be. There's been a lot of development in the area.

8. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always felt the property just north of union station where the metal factory , recycling yards and empty lots are would be perfect. 5 minute walk to Union station and from there- light rail, subway, metrolink , amtrak, buses, airport bus.. everything to get you to the game. And maybe eventually high speed rail. Talk of a hotel going in.
    Then of course, you can eat before/after game in Chinatown, Olivera Street and the ever growing central city area.
    Would be like Staples/LA live on the south end of downtown and then this gets built on the north end of downtown.

9. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Gameface and CTS26 repped this.
  10. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Things are looking better and better……
    I watch the Q&A yesterday with Garber …
    I like what I heard
    They asked about the possibility of relocating the club…….
    His answer was…. NO
    What they want to do is have a complete deal before the new owner comes in
    Club …
    Stadium.. ( place where we can play while the stadium is built)

11. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  12. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    minute 28.40

U.S Chiva repped this.
  13. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    that was a great interview. I like he answer about relocating. of course it was some Galaxy fan scum. HHe said his answer is simple....one word.....NO!!!
    Love it

14. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really think everyone in LA bends on their knees for their wack ass team. LA 2 could work if the club moves in the right direction with ambitious $ ownership. No way in hell i'd support MLS if this club moved out of LA.

sodi_gar and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  15. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lmao!!! "No one word!":ROFLMAO:

Hahahaha!!! That is just classic, I the galaxitive d!ck heads didn't like that answer one bit.:D

Now back on topic: USC seems like the best location in my honest opinion. But we will have to wait and see.

Gameface repped this.
  16. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Galaxitives are truly worried about losing their pull in this town. It explains all the chirping about moving and folding coming from all their fan boys. It's simply nervous cries and wishful thinking.

That being said, a new downtown stadium for LA2 would be a sobering moment for our rude and obnoxious neighbors.

USFootiefan1980, sodi_gar and CTS26 repped this.
  17. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dream is that, someday, they will be the Everton to our Liverpool. A guy can dream, right? :thumbsup:

18. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    whats up with everyone dreaming lately lol.... j/k
    [​IMG]
    `I know once we move out of the HDC the rivalry and our fan base will triplicate if not more ….
    It is important that the new ownership really understand the fan base and the difference between our fans and the Gals fans like Chelis use to say … “there are races in between Dogs” this has to be one of my favorite ones
    Our fans and Core Fans are just a different type of breed

19. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking more along the lines of they can be the 1860 Munich to our FC Bayern Munich. Total domination.

sodi_gar, CTS26 and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    From what I understand, USC wouldn't be owning a new soccer stadium on the Sports Arena site. They'd be leasing the land out and the developer would own the stadium, but paying a yearly rent to USC (not much different than what AEG pays Cal State Dominguez Hills to lease the StubHub Center property).

CTS26, USFootiefan1980 and Gameface repped this.
  21. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Isn't this the same concept of opening up a resturaunt in a shopping plaza? I still pay my rent but I have the potential to till make money from whoever frequents my resturaunt? I would rather us have our own stadium owning it all outright but this " partnership" with USC could be good

22. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    This is CLEARLY the way to go, and it benefits MANY stakeholders, including (what's left of the) Colisseum Commission, USC, the state of California and (last but not least) the next ownership group of the team soon-to-be-formerly-knows-as CHIVAS USA... local jobs, local and state tax revenues, finding a great use for an obsolete building... WIN WIN WIN WIN!

CTS26, sodi_gar and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CTS26 and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  24. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CTS26 repped this.
  25. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ==========
    Coliseum ok short team. Play games a 6p rather than 8pm, or early in the season before it gets hot, maybe 3pm.
    This way the new light rail line (Expo) which has 2 stops at Expo Park becomes easier to use rather than running trains later at night. If the games are a little earlier, people may come down to the park earlier and hang out, or maybe go to the museums, eat nearby, whatever.
    Charge only 2 ticket prices- reserved on the center of the press box side, everything else GA and make really good combos for families.
    Market, market, market. Try to get everyone who comes to the game on your email lists, mailing lists, ticket list.
    If you have already rebranded, good consistent give aways. Maybe a hat or a scarf every game to get people wearing those items around town. Also make sure every USC student knows that team is across the street.
    Play some double hitters, maybe with the USC women soccer team or just a second game of interest to draw fans to the stadium.
    -
    Spent many years going to the Coliseum for soccer well before MLS and back into NASL days .
    Yes, it doesn't have the greatest rep. USC is going to be doing some work on it and I think if your game times fit into weekends, it could work. I remember when the LAG first started, we did lots of 6pm games at the Rose.
    =
    While I am a LAG fan, I have no problem with a new LA team that approaches the game from an different angle and really will create a grea darby/rival situation like many great cities in the world.