New Sporting jersey

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gotta say I'm not in love with it, maybe once I see it in person. I don't like the switch to blue/white vs the blue/blue. It looks too much like NYCFC/MCFC to me.

Anderson11 repped this.
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    2017_Second.jpg

I'm not too jazzed about the new primary, but I might pick-up the secondary. I like the non-collar and the indigo blue. I wish that they'd replace the crest. Worst in MLS by a mile.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst by a mile?
    [​IMG]

Luke Campbell and vividox repped this.
  4. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To me, yes, I don't think that anything comes close, not even NE, but I guess that's subjective.

At the time it was rolled-out, I thought it was a weak effort. Maybe it was a coincidence that our crest looks similar to the then "Easter Conference Shield" or whatever it was. If we were going to copy something, copy something decent. Like the new primary kits. Some might see it as a copy of NYCFC. Or, maybe the NYCFC 2017 kits look a similar an older SKC's version. Maybe both are borrowed from MCFC. Light blue is not my favorite for a jersey, but I don't think it sucks.

I just think that our crest looks dumber than others and I'd like to see it re-worked.

Eastern.jpg

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hard to tell from that twitter pic, but i'd assume the blue will be the duller sporting blue, rather than the brighter blue that it looks like, right? i'll have to wait until i see an actual picture, not some dumb promo picture with weird lighting and angles. that said, having some white is already a plus in my book from past efforts. that's certainly not a final say from me, though.

i thought our crest came out before that eastern conference logo (by, like, a year), and people complained (read: made fun of mls) that they copied us.

Uppa 90 repped this.
  6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've actually grown quite fond of our crest. Honestly, I think the only ones I like better are Columbus' and Minnesota's.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's the duller Sporting blue.

No it was the other way around, people made fun of us for copying the Eastern Conference logo.

kcscsupporter repped this.
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sportingkc.com/wetogether

Still not a huge fan of it. To me it still seems like Adidas put the wrong logos/sponsors on the KC and NYCFC jerseys. Just doesn't look right, I liked the blue/dark blue look.

The ad campaign though... We together... 'We's club, we's city'....

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? huh. guess i got some revisionist history going on in my head.

10. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 ChocolateCandy, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    I don't mind the kit, but it is a little odd that NYC has navy shorts and we have white. The "No Other Club" font is probably my biggest gripe though. It almost looks like comic sans.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If comic sans was written by a lefty

12. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, I just read that's Besler's handwriting. I get the sentiment, but it just doesn't look very good on a kit imo.

13. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new pics from Facebook today with roger look a hell of a lot better than that first pic of the team that buzz posted. Takes me from dislike to neutral.

Does look a lot like man city/nyc though.

14. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SUPER cheesy. Don't care for that bit at all. Looks like MCFC to me.

15. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The new primary would look better if the club hadn't been doing such a good job of designing shirts since the rebrand. But ya, overall I'm not going to run to the store tomorrow. Still a solid look overrall minus that whole man city bit.

16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I *NEED* a new jersey this year as my black argyle is damn near ready to fall apart. I think I'll be getting a secondary.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speaking personally, this is disheartening to see so many negative comments about the new jersey. the club finally puts out a jersey that isn't entirely two shades of blue (third jerseys don't count), and it isn't going to sell very well, thus reinforcing the club to go back to the same boring two shades only policy. it also seems like there's a lot of backlash merely because the colors somewhat resemble a new york/man city kit. so many johnnies-come-lately not realizing that light(ish) blue and white were/are our traditional colors for so many years.

this isn't a comment on what people should like, or honestly, if this jersey is even good looking or not. it's about pos/neg reinforcement affecting design decisions for the future... and, unfortunately for me, it appears to be firmly headed in the wrong direction ... again.

aside from that, my bet is that the club will end up wearing the dark blue shorts more often than the white.

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There's backlash because it's gone from unique and distinctive to plain and easily mistaken for other teams' kits.

vividox and Anderson11 repped this.
  19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but when we first went to the light/dark blue combo jerseys, man city had the same color scheme on their uniforms then as well... and the reaction i recall seeing at the time was, "ooooh, looks nice. i dig the man city look."

also, one man's plain is another man's classy.

20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    These jerseys are about as lame as the first rebrand jerseys. In my opinion.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The part that frustrates me is the fact that the two tone blue was unique for us. I liked the darker color to offset the lightness of the "sporting blue." Felt it added "depth" to the jersey. I don't get that feeling with the new one, it just all blends together between the sporting blue and the white for me.

Then there's this tweet which I found humorous about how KC and NYC basically swapped secondary colors.

22. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not even that I have negative feelings towards it, I'm just picky about which jerseys are worth $100+ to me.

23. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really miss the 13-14 home kit. Not only was the design unique compared most other shirts, it perfectly fit the "two states, one team" mantra. While I could see the design becoming a little stale if it never changed, I hope it makes a comeback someday.

24. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We Together; I'm not a big fan unless integrated with Wiz on the Fire.

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it features on the West Brom official site, by the way. if one goes there to purchase single match tickets to the Hawthorns, the background photo is some large bloke in a Sporting jersey. Struck me as a bit odd on another club's site, but hey ho.

apologies if this has already been pointed out here. carry on.

Uppa 90, KCFutbol, Formulaic and 2 others repped this.