New soccer stadium in Orlando, Florida?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SoccerPrime, Oct 27, 2004.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cityoforlando.net/elected/mayor/Speeches/04_10_26_downtown.htm

The Mayor of Orlando, during his speech to downtown business, told the audience that he intends to remodel the old college football stadium, called the Citrus Bowl.

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    wonder if Ajax Orlando will be involved? think they plan a smaller venue

sounds a lot like the current Orange Bowl situation

unlikely to be for MLS. lots of reason including size, who operates it, age of facility

probably like Soldier field - for international exhibitions, etc. yet Fire moving to Bridgeview

I really doubt Orlando as a viable MLS market. what does it have that Tampa and Miami don't. same weather, fewer people, probably less disposable income among residents. does have less competition, but don't think that matters. devil rays weren't MLS's problem

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually DON'T think that Ajax Orlando is involved. They want a SSS not a rebuilt, gigantic Citrus Bowl. However it does seem that City wants to rebuild the whole area near the Citrus Bowl, so maybe Ajax's dreams can come true too.

4. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    This is normal. A mention of soccer occurs every time somebody proposes a stadium project in the US. And then once the deal is done, everybody conveniently forgets about it.

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Bingo! :(

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I do think that Orlando does want soccer, but I think comments about having World Cup soccer in Orlando are either ignorant or just plain fantasy.

7. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Proof:
    http://www.QwestField.com