New SKC TV Announcer for 2011 Season

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by banker6901, Mar 3, 2011.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Jusy watched Off the Pitch:

Obviously, "obviously" is used way too often, obviously. If I were to start a drinking game where I had to drink every time Cal said "obviously", I would die. Granted, I'm a light weight.

2. Savage_Sam

Savage_Sam Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Couldn't make it to the game last night so I recorded and just finished watching it. As much as I have enjoyed the guest announcers in the booth, I have to say Callum was excellent in the solo role! Well done young man!

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Agreed. I just watched the game and thought he did a great job. I'd prefer that to some of the guest color guys they've gotten for road games.

4. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle does the solo thing as well. I thought Cal was great on Saturday. With no color announcer it feels more conversational with the viewer.

5. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It really is a style that is used on the radio back home and I've always lived it. The color guys really just get in the way for me. I thought Jake was good last week once he settled down but I do think Cal can do this on his own if the need be and it'd be fine by me.

When there is a second guy in the booth the conversation kinda detracts from simply just calling the game, but I am not 100% sure Cal wants that, he is a young lad who has never played at a high level and having a player in there with him provides him a little insurance if he goes off the rails. I don't think he needs it, you either know the game or you don't and he does. I love talking football with him, he just says things sometimes that leaving me thinking "I didn't think about that"... just insightful

6. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Northbank= SKC's next color guy ;)

In all honesty, would be fun to have some of the bloggers in a rotation as color guy. I love when FSC does the game replays with two opposing fans calling the game. Would be interesting to see the dynamic between a "homer" supporter and a professional broadcaster.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, 3 of them (James, Gooch, and Thad) have been on the radio show with Callum. The thing with those 3 on the radio is that they've done well to keep the bias to a minimum, more so than Feldman for NE and SJ's guys...

8. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... I hate homerism .... HATE IT ...

9. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    LOL NB! Wasn't calling you a homer in the pure sense. Hockey (my other fav sport) has the WORST homer broadcasters in all of sport. You and the other blog guys would bring a "good" homer flair to a broadcast IMO as you know as much, if not more, about our team than many of the 2nd seaters that have filled in this year already. That and would be nice to hear an open honest FAN perspective, not just the semi-glossed perspective that you usually get from a club-employee broadcaster. (note, Callum is pretty good at avoiding this, but lets be honest....he knows who pays his bills!)

10. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite case of near homerism was the Seattle-Vancouver game with the Hassli goal. Arlo was a bit hesitant right after it, called it perfectly but seemed a bit Seattle biased at first before remembering he was on FSC and blew his load right after that.

11. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh I didn't think you were, just noting that I hate em :) Like we are all fans but some folk take that to the point where they simply refuse to see any fault with their team and I think that makes people BORING as hell to talk to and nobody really wants to hear it.

I'd love to be the color guy, I had an absolute blast on the radio, think I'd probably shit a brick on live TV - ha ha but I'd love it. Cal has my dream job. I'd say yes without blinking. I am under no illusions about it happening, its not going to :)

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and me both, although I haven't done radio, but I know I love the podcasts...

13. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arlo White is the best english language announcer of football in North America. period.

14. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This. I watch a lot of MLS on Direct Kick and no one comes close.

15. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as homers, I think I'd made an excellent homer on the air if I wanted to be. And by excellent, I mean, "roll your eyes, God this guy is so bombastic, please make it stop". In truth, I'm only bombastic if I want to be, but I do get quite impassioned when I'm riled up. Which is not difficult to do.

I've been enjoying Cal's show on the radio. Those who have been on as his commentator, great job so far. Still very disappointed in Gooch. He promised me discussion of 18th century Russian literature and never delivered.

You should get a stab at going on his show. Your knowledge of the team would feed off his insightfulness really well. Not trying to stroke your ego, legitimate thought.

16. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Can someone update me on time/day of the week that Cal's radio show is on? I just figured out I can pick up 810 here JUST well enough to hear. Was suprised I could get it at all but was able to catch a couple discussions about SKC on some afternoon program the other day.

17. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cal is on 610am on Mondays at 7pm -- :D . Josh W and Jake G do a regular Wednesday night at 8pm.

You can listen to both online ...

18. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    610!!! well @!$#@%@! Thanks for the info NB.

19. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for a fun four years, Cal. We'll have many fewer tasty balls go begging and we'll miss that. Keep on calling it like you see it no matter where you land. Best wishes!

20. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear that Jack Harry is looking for a new challenge... :eek:

Southwest Sport repped this.
  21. Southwest Sport

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Oh sweet God. lol

22. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I really, really, really hope our announcing booth doesn't continue this trend of becoming more and more homer-ish. If Robb & Co. bring in a Brad Feldman clone I'm going to puke.

23. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that "the product" has a good foothold, is simply a marketing plan shift from the 2010 one (when Robb was on here entertaining English pub ideas and fish and chips on the menu for what would become the members' club, and an exotic-sounding announcer fit the mindset of being distinct in the market) to a plan that is perhaps more mainstream for the KC market? I see they're also seeking a new head of marketing.

Reading between the lines of Robb's response, it sounded like they were looking for someone who was more connected to the fan base. At first I misinterpreted it to be some knock against Cal's engagement with the fans, but I now believe it is just code for finding someone whose accent and background better reflects the demographics of the fan base.

I really can't imagine more homer-ism sells tickets or pumps ratings when you're off on some secondary channel to begin with. Give me someone who tells the truth, and owners and players with thicker skin who can roll with it instead of feeling like they have to purify the pablum before it is served.

24. AdamRS

AdamRS Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Johnson County, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to try to say this without any negative type of nationalism. I loved having Cal commentate for us, he seemed like a great guy and was very good at his job. With that being said, I see this as a opportunity to hire a more local voice of SKC. I think this is a chance for SKC to get away from an English accent that so many Americans do not relate to because they see futbol as a sport only for people in Europe and south of Texas. As much as I dislike morons like Jack Harry, he made a decent point right after the SKC re-brand about choosing someone from England to speak for us when we have capable commentators here in the states, or maybe even in KC. Best of luck to Cal & Diego in the future.

And to wrap up my post... "That begs the question"... Because I like to make @vividox violently twitch.

Oobers repped this.
  25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but we didn't have capable commentators here in the states... and we definitely didn't here in kc.