New SKC TV Announcer for 2011 Season

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by banker6901, Mar 3, 2011.

1. kareemcheese

kareemcheese Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh would definitely do well - but he would need to cut down on the usage of "definitely";) He can intelligently discuss any aspect of domestic and international soccer.

However, I do enjoy the insights of players who have been on the field in the heart of the situations; especially if they're personable like Alexi Lalas or Steve McManaman (or Terry Bradshaw or Joe Namath in football, or Joe Garagiolia or Bob Uecker in baseball)

2. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. I really wish that MDL was like MLB at Bat where you can choose which broadcast to watch. I get tired of the other team's homers calling the match. Makes me want to throw something at the TV.

3. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was thinking earlier how cool it will be to here the away broadcasters making their first visits to the new stadium though

4. eminer

eminer Member

May 17, 2006
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is actually good. You can tell he has not followed the team, but over all his first game with Cal is much better than the first game with Sasha and Cal. Brian is quite when he should be... and does not talk to for the sake of filling space.

Unfortunately, you are probably right.

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Brian did a decent job. He knew more about both teams than I thought he would. However, there were times when I felt he was announcing for NY fans, especially in the second half.

6. Savage_Sam

Savage_Sam Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Very pleasantly suprised with Brian. Very well prepared. Not overbearing. Called "fouls" penalties a couple of times but other than that was solid.

7. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shep Messing would still be intolerable, and probably will say that RBA is better. :rolleyes:

8. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Kilmeade did an excellent job. His commentary was usually spot on and his familiarity with both teams players was good. He worked well with Cal. The biggest difference between him and Sasha is that Kilmeade is a trained TV guy with a excellent knowledge of the game. He knows the nuance of when to talk, how much and when he should yield to Cal. I enjoyed the broadcast, even if we did lose...

9. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    Best called game so far. period

10. kareemcheese

kareemcheese Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just please stop the interviews DURING the game. pre-game, half-time, post-game...fine.

11. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! You're in Wash Park? I knew you were in Denver, but I didn't know where. We're in Congress Park. Just a couple minutes away :)

If you ever want someone to watch SKC games with shoot me a PM.

12. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad the guest commentator can see where our problems are and our coach can't.

13. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    their pronunciations of 'angel' were driving me insane. if you're going to pronounce 'juan' correctly, why do you then mispronounce his last name? also, i heard warren call us kansas once in there too. other than that, i was pretty satisfied with the call. nice to hear warren remark a couple times about how misused kamara is.

14. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it wasn't just a guest commentator bid.... :)

15. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny cause a couple of years ago I heard a couple of English commentators once chuckling about the way Americans pronounce Angel "On-hell". So apparently no one in England ever bothered to ask him how to pronounce his own name. It's a little strange to me because sports announcers over here are issued name pronunciation guides so they don't have to ask. My guess is they are used to a Castilian pronunciation of the name, much like they will usually say GAR-cia instead of Gar-CI-a.

16. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and he mispronounced Kei's name too, calling him Camera.

17. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I am glad that PV is starting to get called out. I can only hope we can keep up this criticism up during broadcasts.

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Callum did correct him and the next time he did it, he said "Kansas .. err, Kansas City"

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh, i missed that. i'll admit, i did hit fast-forward quite a bit as the game wore on.

20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anyone know where I can find a recording of the KC broadcast? The LA broadcast is up on MatchDay Live and I kind of want to watch it just to see the KC commentary. I know, I know, I'm a masochist.

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The correction came at half time .... so you probably did fast forward through it. Next time fast forward at the first minute, stop at 92nd minute, catch the score, go to bed ;)

22. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a copy inbound as we speak, I'll let you know where you can grab a copy soon if its Callum & Co.

23. Savage_Sam

Savage_Sam Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Callum did look very "Spiffy" last night. Now if they would just replace that music leading up to the game and coming back from commercials! It just doesn't work for me.

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Completely agree. The music is noticeably terrible.

25. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this week's "Off the Pitch" last night. If anyone involved with the production of the show reads this, I hope my comments are useful.

First, overall, the quality of the show is improving. Good work. Second, I find it really awkward to see the portions of the show that were recorded both before and after the Saturday game with continual references to it being Sunday night. It feels really forced, overwrought, and not genuine. Even the guest announcer this week bungled it once, saying "tonight's game" when he was supposed to be acting like it was Sunday. Given the match-day stadium backdrop, with the fans either filing in (before the game) or out (after), the attempt at oral time shifting just doesn't work. I think the segments will work well without any references to time or day; there is no benefit or reason to try to convince the viewer that they are watching something live when it's obvious that it was recorded the day before.

This is a nit, at most. Like I said, the quality of the show is improving and I hope this feedback is useful.