New signings?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also be happy with this as the man put the ball in the net but I can't see it happening. He has a great goal-scoring, record 101 goals in 143 matches for Rangers, and even though it didn't come off 100% at Middlesbrough I think at only 27 years old a team in England or Scotland (most likely Rangers again) is going to be willing to take a chance on him.

I guess we could afford him as a DP but I don't see that happening for a whole laundry list of reasons.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the article has a quote that says he's probably not going to MLS anyway.

3. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams that will be in Orlando on Feb 21:

Dallas
    Houston
    New England
    Toronto

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Argentina part of Nicols world tour? Anyone know if Houston, Dallas or Toronto went down there during the off season?

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the vid on the Revs site, the are waiting for one more piece to be signed before they can announce the wide midfielder

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes to the first, no idea about the second. I know FCD currently has someone down there now.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They said they sent Myles down to see Coria play a couple of matches.

8. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    He's a bit lazy and uncreative, but my god can he finish. He would score for fun over here. Don't see it happening though, if he stays in Europe he likely gets paid better while continuing to compete at a higher level - there are plenty of clubs "on the continent" that would take him.

9. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, but when it comes to a different experience anywhere in MLS (besides Chivas USA :eek:) is the place...

& the getting paid part isnt necesarily true... Teams would throw DP money for him im sure

10. RevvedUp10

RevvedUp10 Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Watertown, Ma
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to guess we will get the announcement on the last player we signed "in about a week." ;)

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so does Coria count as signing #3, after Domi and Dabo, or is he an "extra" guy that is in addition to the others?

Are we waiting for the paperwork for one or two more international players?

If he is #3, so much for the idea of beefing up the goal scoring...

12. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Only off the top of my head, but I believe at Rangers he was making £15,000 ($24,220.50) a week (the number was posted at the time on FF), SPL season is about 42 weeks [this season: August 14 - April 16 for Rangers], not counting pre-season, European competition, Scottish Cup + Scottish League Cup, bonuses etc. that is about £630,000 ($1,017,261.00).

I'm sure his stock has gone down a bit after his stint at 'Boro, but as an incentive to pick up and move halfway across the globe you're probably going to have to make the deal a bit sweeter than what could be had in any of the leagues that are just a few hours plane ride from home.

13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could we leak the name of the next signing please.

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ... it'd be nice to have the new name released anytime now.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    A number of attacking players are currently on trial with other MLS clubs or are rumored to be joining/going on trial with them, so it is slightly discouraging at this point not to hear about the Revs' efforts to this end, especially with none of our rostered attacking players having found the net so far.

Hopefully they have some irons in the fire...

16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    It bears repeating that NO ONE who entered MLS last summer in an attacking role made a sizable impact on their team in 2010.

The myth of the mid-season salvation signing is just that--and that's been especially true with this team.

"Wait until July" for attacking help might as well mean "wait until 2012" and flush this season down the toilet.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just makes no sense for the Revs not to have some Trialist in camp. For a team that cried we need help scoring and it will be address, they have brought in two defenders and a DM. Its a crock of shyte. Perovic, Stoli, Nyassi and Tierney are our offensive threats. three guys slower than molasses in January and one guy that could not hit the broad side of a barn standing in 5 fee away.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Coria is #2 of the 3. The third is a winger.
    We're waiting for a visa for Coria and and ITC and visa for the winger.

FDA says that the Revs are still looking for a forward (in addition to the above).

19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, they're stepping up their search now. Fantastic.

And Twellman announced his retirement Nov. 3rd.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, the first game is nearly a month away. We gots plenny of time to GEL. All we need to do is get hot for a playoff run and we're partying like it's 2002!

Woo.

Hoo.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And our season ended in October. But as someone said, it was too early to plan back then. Man, if only we had known by the end of the season in 2010 that we had a slight problem on the offensive end.

22. Rangers Rob

Rangers Rob Member

Mar 30, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    May the soccer gods have mercy on our souls if it is Jerome Rothen.

23. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I hope I ended up being wrong and it's not Rothen. Following the Coria announcement, I'm actually expecting it's another scouting trip product, and hoping he comes from a known league. Please be an under-30 LM with crossing ability and ball skills! (Speed would be nice too.)

Man, assuming Dabo, Coria and this guy were all signed around the same time, getting the ITC is taking really unusually long. Did someone drop it behind a desk by accident?

24. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard a decent rumor a good source that in addition to the three signing that the ol' COO announced that they are "90%" towards getting a striker who would "help us a lot."

Who knows what that means, if it happens, or how long it takes to get the signing to actually join the squad and be able to play.

That is something though.

25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said that? I don't recall anyone saying that. A lot of us posted it was too early to hear what they were planning but almost all of the posts from the end of last season by Rev Central made it clear they knew they needed to make significant upgrades.