New signings?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Actually, you want to hope that he doesn't move anywhere (like West Ham, as mentioned above) in the next 5 days. The only place he can transfer to after that would be here or Scandinavia, since pretty much everywhere else's transfer window closes (and MLS' runs till April 15th).

3. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Am I to interpret this as "No one will know who these guys are?" a.k.a. "These aren't DP-type players?"

Whether I have heard of a player or not is no indication of the player's quality as I know maybe 0.001% of the football playing universe. Just curious if my interpretation is correct.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I was wondering the same.

7. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't go to Cameroon this year. ;)

According to the team, they went to Niger, Nigeria, Norway and Argentina. I don't know much about the state of football in Niger, but there could be some very good players for the having from any of the other latter three.

8. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're free to interpret it however you'd like.

9. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I take the opposite read--there's no reason to have a timetable tied to the closing of the main Euro transfer window if they aren't "on the market" as viable players.

The window closes February 2nd.

What I mean is that, as I pointed out on the season ticket renewal thread, the selling/loaning club wants business on these players finished by that date because they get the most leverage in the deal by entertaining multiple offers.

Unless I miss my guess--and someone feel free to correct me--the Revs haven't in recent memory announced pre-season signings in close conjunction to the closing of the main European January transfer window, have they?

10. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct.

11. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Then I, for ONCE, am actually optimistic about these signings because it probably means that European clubs whose transfer window closes next week were also interested in them.

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on that. Color me excited.

13. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @kylejmccarthy: New England awaiting a response to 2 contract offers issued 2 internationals, said VP of player personnel Michael Burns

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that there aren't any good players in Niger or Nigeria but I hope these guys are from either Norway or Argentina, if infact they are from a scouting trip. If these guys are from top leagues in those countries, I would venture the play is better in Norway and Argentina than the african countries. Plus we have not had the greatest luck with our recent african signings

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone who has scored goals in the first division in Argentina this century would be fine.

16. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Not to burst your moment of optimism, but that also is in close conjunction to the start of training camp which is a more likely target for the Rev front office. They don't need to complete transfers until April 15. They aren't likely to get involved in bidding wars with European teams for players. They just aren't. They can easily wait until next week and then have more leverage since they are one of only a few leagues who can take in players. Presumably, if a team had an extra player who they were going to lose as a free transfer this summer, or who they just want to get off the books, the Revs could work a much more friendly deal.

Of course, they could be going all in on a name player with other european suitors, you could be right, but I would be surprised. I'm guessing a Perovic/Lindpere/Stolli (or whatever the Danish kid who signed with RBNY) level player from a smaller european league (or Argentina). Or a Osei/Niouky/Assengue crapshoot from no-name leagues in Africa. I'll be surprised if either is a DP. That will come near the end of the transfer window or in the summer window when transfer fees won't be an issue. If it really comes this season at all.

17. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    To your first point--what DP would be worthwhile signing on April 15th? Nobody. Nobody worth paying DP money is just sitting out there out of contract in April.

Secondly, the summer window means goodbye to the 2011 season if that's who we're waiting for--while some summer signings happened to be on playoff teams, no summer addition made a major impact to its team's fortunes last year, not Geovanni (now dumped), not Stolica, not Henry, not Castillo (gone), not Nkufo, not Mendoza--no one.

The mechanism currently being used across the league is taking players in on loan, having them prove themselves, and THEN giving them DP money.

So you may be right that it won't be a DP to start out with, but that doesn't mean it won't be someone of a caliber to play their way into a DP contract like Saborio or Montero.

Finally, I don't EVER recall the official start of training camp serving as a deadline by which the Revs felt they had to sign anyone. They've been beyond laissez faire about that in years past.

In fact, I would say the mere announcement of two imminent international signings is itself an extreme rarity. They certainly didn't build up the Didier Domi signing like this, did they?

Believe me, I'm not someone to give this organization a break too often, but the tea leaves here seem clear.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs offer contracts to international players
    Nicol & Co. hope to add new faces to preseason camp by Monday
    by Kyle McCarthy, MLSsoccer.com
    January 27, 2011

The good news is that even with these two signings (whoever they may be), they still are not done shopping.

19. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont understand how this is the same Mike Burns that gave us that vanilla BS this time last year. This version I like.
    I gotta say, since 2011 began, its like the Revs have been doing everything I could ask of...just may get those tickets

20. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the Mike Burns who now knows he has money to play with, as opposed to the Mike Burns of seasons past who, to be honest, didn't have much wiggle room and had to mitigate expectations.

21. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are glimmers of hope emerging from the secret society in Foxboro. More news on the web page, signing a homegrown player, conservative American defender draft choices, Burns announcing offers have been made, etc. are all baby steps in the right direction.

I am hoping we sign an attacking midfielder. Someone with skill and a flair for running at opposing defenders. I don't think we have had anyone of the caliber of Dempsey since he left for Fulham. Shalrie is better served as a holding midfielder. The recent signings and draft choices seem to indicate a 4 back defense. We have the speed on the MF wings for a 4-4-2. That leaves the second signing to be a certified, goal poacher like Twellman. Obviously that role has been absent for the past 2 seasons.

Fingers crossed and hoping they deliver before the season opener.

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately we have a long preseason with the first few weeks being mostly about fitness. As long as we get the new players in during Feb we should be OK.

23. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who remembers Burns saying the team would be more active in the transfer market before the beginning of last season?

That said, I like what he's been saying (and he's been making comments like this with a lot more frequency) this year. Now let's see some action, shall we?

24. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him play at Fenway. I thought he was pretty good. Nice addition for us.

25. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that they're making news about the fact that they issued some contract offers makes me optimistic. I know they're often tone deaf over there but I don't think they're dumb enough to create hubbub on the internet in advance of announcing versions 2.0 of Mansally and Dube.

Even if these aren't big names, if they're players from clubs we've heard of with some upside it'll because for dancing on the ceiling.