New SI Soccer-Bashing Radio Ad

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by dsylvest, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Warzycha

Warzycha Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Denver, CO
  2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    That post should be moved here.

Sachin

3. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    Easiest way to get noticed is to call the number bellow and let them know that you don't like to be insulted and are never picking up another issue of SI again. Surely we can be more useful than just stuffing ballots online. It will only take a few minutes.

1-800-528-5000

4. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Boycott SI? Ha!!! If next month's issue has a soccer player on the cover, you people will be the first ones to pick it up.
    When you buy SI on the newsstand, it's because of one article. Whether it's WC preview or college football preview, people buy the magazine for that one article. SI isn’t alienating anyone by insulting soccer! (Except maybe Grant Wahl) They’ll sell more copies this month by doing that ad, and it’s hardly going to affect any other month’s sale.

I find it ironic that an Adidas ad featuring a soccer player doing a bicycle kick is right in the middle of the college football preview.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: As a capitalist, SI is going for smart money while being beyond ignorant...that's us!

That's true. Europe, on the other hand, is very sophisticated. Corporations are unable to market over there, which is precisely why soccer clubs have no way of raising funds.

MLS should take advantage of Americans' stupidity. Here's my idea. Well, actually, I stole it from NASCAR. MLS should put a corporate logo on the front of the jersey and then the really stupid Americans might be tempted to purchase products as a way of supporting their team. What do you think? If it works with brain dead Nascar fans, there's a chance that it could work in MLS.

6. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: As a capitalist, SI is going for smart money while being beyond ignorant...that's us!

actually, they do that in europe. check out mr. beckham's nifty new vodafone kit.

7. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Do you people realize that there are soccer bashers in the media in most every part of the globe? That footy is regularly ridiculed in countires like England?

Would you all be so put out if SI began running ads targeted towards soccer fans that did so by insulting american football, baseball, or basketball?

8. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I see your point, but I haven't seen a steady stream of insulting material towards basketball, baseball or football. I still see some disparaging stuff about NASCAR, but nothing like soccer gets. When they start ripping baseball to sell NFL subscription packages I'll concede that there's no anti-soccer effort in this country.

9. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    Congratulations on your ability to completely miss the point. The point of all of this was, and is, that SI is alienating a market that they could otherwise tap (exploit?) for their bottom line.

It is not about soccer v. baseball or other sports. I only pointed it out because they are spewing against soccer when we have lots of money in (some of) our wallets.

Drive on.

10. kwikstah

kwikstah New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Oh great, SI's College Football Preview. Well, at least I know not to pick the Sooners to win the national championship.

11. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    That's not the "point." That's a judgment call on your behalf.

The "point" of this thread is to bitch and moan yet again that some major media outlet is bashing the sport.

Oh, the horror.

It's advertising, for cripes' sakes. Most people on this board haven't even heard the ad, because SI is not targeting soccer fans.

American football fans and the media that follow it have a long history of marketing the sport as being better than everything else. Over the years I've heard countless ads promoting American football while bashing other sports -- and yes, this includes basketball, hockey, and baseball.

The reality is that the majority of people that purchase SI on a single-issue basis are not going to be "alienated" as you claim. As many other posters have suggested, the vast majority of die-hards will run out and buy multiple copies of the magazine the second they put another soccer player on the cover.

No, you pointed it out because you're angry that SI insulted the sport.

Get used to it, because as the sport grows in popularity on a professional level you're going to see an equal increase in the criticism of it.

Or haven't you noticed the countless jokes that are made about the intelligence of American football players? The sterotyping of basketball players? The fitness of baseball players? The racial inclinations of NASCAR drivers?