New series on the History Channel: "Tactical to Practical"

Discussion in 'Books' started by Goodsport, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Did anyone here catch the first episode of this History Channel series on Tuesday (if not, it'll air again on Saturday)? It's a new weekly series that shows how technology that was once exclusive only to the military is now implemented in civilian life as well. It was pretty interesting. :cool:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It'll most likely be the second series on the History Channel that I'll follow regularly (the first being Mail Call, of course). :)

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp No one? :(

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The second episode airs tonight. :)

-G

4. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a whole lot of stuff I didn't already know. It's a decent show so far.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp True, but it's still pretty interesting how stuff used only by the military at first eventually make their way into the civilian market.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I recorded the second episode yesterday but have yet to see it (hopefully I'll have time to watch it tonight).

-G

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My pops works in technology transfer for the military. I used to see all kinds of cool stuff when I was a little kid - memory metals (the demo was a paper-clip looking wire bent to look like a three-leaf clover. You could straighten it out, turn a hair dryer on it, and it would spring back into shape) were probably the coolest for a 12-year-old.

I couldn't possibly tell you what technologies my father has played a role in transferring to civilian use, but it's possible that one of the items featured on that show might have passed thru his hands.