New Seattle info, or same old re-hash?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by soupcan, Sep 15, 2003.

1. soupcan

soupcan New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Seattle
    ok, don't shoot the messenger, but this info is posted on a Sounder's forum at a different site:

First & Goal IS playing a big part in securing professional (MLS)soccer in Seattle. According to both Bart Wiley and Gary Boyle F&G is in the process of negotiating with both the Sounders and with an investor from L.A. I was given a name but have forgotten it, but, I know he is associated with the Galaxy and is a brother-in-law of a mucky-muck in F&G. Some of the details are as follows:

1, It is unknown if this party is interested in buying the Sounders or placing a separate MLS team in the HAWK.

2, If Seattle is considered a front runner in MLS's expansion than this party will become public

3, F&G is somewhat an adversary to the Sounders due to their interest in placing an MLS team in here

4, This investor is interested in the same property as the Sounders (in Kent) to build a soccer complex associated with the MLS team.

This may well be a load of garbage, but interesting given the current discussion over where the Sounders will play next year. A re-done soccer only stadium is under contruction in Tukwilla, just south of Seattle. The stadium will reportedly seat 5,000, but be expandable. I cant fathom it being expanded though, as there is little parking in the area.... it is known as Fort Dent...

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the HAWK?

3. North Star

North Star Member

Feb 29, 2000
    NRH, TX
    I think soupcan means Seahawks Stadium.

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tod Leiweke, CEO of the Seahawks, is the brother of Tim Leiweke, CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group.

5. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    ... And the plot thickens.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to the punch. Boy the plot does turn. It's interesting that they both got their starts in pro sports with soccer. Granted it was in the old MISL. I remember SI doing a story on both of them and the way they promoted the heck out of the game. Big users of smoke, lazers and loud music.

7. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they have another brother who is running a 3dscanning technology company wich may be picked up by many states on drivers licenses. he used to own a resturant called "the spot" in East hampton, and i know he sold that for a few million. I am not sure how he is on the financial side in total, but he certainly is a multi millionaire. maybe the brothers 3 would have enough green to make this work

8. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping this because the info/rumors above seem to have passed under people's radars...

Also, recently a Sounders fan was told (presumably by somebody within the Sounders orginization, but he doesn't name his source, only repeats what he was told) to
    "keep your ears peeled for MLS news after MLS Cup '03".

9. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    The OCTOBER 23, 2003 PRESS RELEASE:

Seattle Sounders, in conjunction with Seahawks Stadium, today announced their plans to play the 2004 season in Seahawks Stadium. The one-year contract contains subsequent year options that may keep the Sounders in the downtown facility through the 2006 season.

“After pouring over several options and looking at what was best for soccer in Seattle and the Sounders organization, the Sounders decided that Seahawks Stadium made the most sense,” said Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer.

“Seahawks Stadium is the best venue in the region for professional soccer,” said Sounders head coach Brian Schmetzer. “The pitch, locker rooms, sight lines, location, it has it all.”

Sounders management and ownership stays committed to bringing the highest level of soccer to the Pacific Northwest. Tod Lieweke, the new CEO of the Seattle Seahawks and Seahawks Stadium, brings the same passion for soccer to Seattle. Lieweke began his professional sports career working managing the Kansas City Comets of the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL) from 1982 to 1987.

“We are pleased to have the Sounders returning to Seahawks Stadium,” said Lieweke. “We pride ourselves on having not only the greatest NFL stadium but also an extraordinary soccer facility. We applaud Sounders ownership for their grass roots commitment to the soccer community”

The whole press release appears here:
    http://www.seattlesounders.net/news/?cat=1&id=109

10. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I think it's cheese to put "MLS still on the radar" and in the press release put merely..."Season ticket holders will also be given the first option to purchase tickets to exhibition matches against Major League Soccer (MLS) franchises, U.S. Open Cup matches or international soccer matches taking place at Seahawks Stadium. The 2003 season saw the Sounders tangle with Landon Donovan and the San Jose Earthquakes and the Los Angeles Galaxy. The Sounders also offered Manchester United/Celtic FC tickets before they went on sale to the public.

Should a MLS franchise make its way to Seattle, Sounders season ticket holders would have priority in choosing seats. "

That is about as "on the radar" as Santa Clause on Christmas Eve.

11. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Not only that, but we have heard this nonsense before! Seattle fans last heard the "Buy tickets to prepare for MLS" in 1996-97. It really heated up as the stadium was nearing its finish. Now it rears its head again.
    The only possible reason to hope---and not laugh---is the presence of Tod Lieweke. His relationship with AEG/via his brother and his hiring by the Seahawks just as MLS was about to look away from Seattle, does seem a bit well-timed.