NEW Saputo Stadium for Montreal 2012

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by anewsoccerfan, Mar 9, 2011.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That doesn't look cost effective.

2. Somas of Columbus

Somas of Columbus New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why do you care?

3. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Because I am curious about stuff I don't know but have an interest in. Why do you care why I care?

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it!

Phase 1 looks like a security nightmare, hopefully there is a fence around the stadium.

I do believe Toyota is expandable to 25K, I am not sure how.

I know we have a stage set on one end, but the city uses that for concerts so I do not believe we could take it out to place more seats.

5. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Right-click on the image, view image. You'll see the full-size pic, and the fencing is clearly there.

6. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The original plan was that it could be expanded by adding a second tier on the Harlem end. But from what I've heard, we'd have to be selling out every game consistently for that expansion to really make sense financially.

7. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the idea would be to put an upperdeck on the north end

8. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, I was told that by the FO.

I remember when the luxury boxes at Crew Stadium were not even covered, they just had high cinderblock walls no TVs, mini bars etc very bare bones.

The one guy from Vegas wanted to move Crew stadium lock stock and barrel to the Brewery District which is next to downtown, but the Hunts did not want to sell any interest in the stadium so the deal fell through.

9. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the covered-stands. Montreal will be a great road trip.

Hopefully BMO Field will get their stands covered too.

10. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I think the 1st phase of expansion would be to extend the upper deck behind the section 8 end the stadium.
    Phase 2 would replace the stage with seats and phase 3 will be to cover the stage end with an upper deck and completely enclose the stadium.
    Max capacity would be around 27-28k, similar to rb arena.

11. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I rather no roof, then the partial roof

Get it done right!, or dont do it at al

12. RevolutionFan

RevolutionFan New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Warwick, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally ive been to montreal many times and i loved it. stadium looks great. cant wait to take the trips up there

13. maxultrasmontreal

maxultrasmontreal New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    covers a third of the seat they will be more expensive

14. gibroni

gibroni BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 2, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If you look at the new baseball stadiums around the US they're still all basically the same. Some idiosyncracies here and there but they're all cut from the same mold. SSS for MLS have 2 big problems when it comes to making them unique: 1. A soccer pitch is a rectangle and 2. the budget. Just look at DC. They bent over backwards to build a new baseball stadium for a team that wasn't even in Washington and yet United, which is as successful on the field as any sports team ever in DC, and they can't get any traction at all for a new stadium. One that's desperately needed for the league. The DC sports commision should build a new SSS, the quality of Red Bull Arena on the site of RFK with multiple practice fields around it. I think the Montreal plan is great and outdoes Toronto. I really hope they do a major rebranding and change the name. Olympique Montreal is nice.

15. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Favoritism for baseball stadium over SSS has nothing to do with the above 1 or 2.
    It was purely DC politics.

16. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    will there be grass?

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Politics and the current owner not having enough to do it alone are the reason DC doesn't have anything now. Also, DC is very unique. RFK is on federal land that the District is allowed to operate by an act of Congress as long as sporting events are held there. DC can't do anything else with the land and there is no incentive for them maintain or improve RFK. There are plans for the land and most think it will be used for a new Redskins stadium. Of course that will take another act of Congress(yes, the US Congress) to transfer the land to the District so it can be developed. Even then, the land would have to undergo very costly soil testing and improvement due to it being a toxic wasteland from government testing years ago.

18. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Montreal Impact is staying unfortunately. Even though it's a stupid name they like it for the bilingual nature. Not that deriving Olympic from Olympique is too strenous for English speakers but still.

19. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Impact is a terrible name. They might as well be called the Clash.

20. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then don't support them... success determines a team name. There are fans in Montreal who wear their colors and team name proudly. If theyre the ones requesting a name change then so be it otherwise what does it matter?

21. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Oh, I figured Big Soccer was a place to discuss stuff like this. My mistake!

22. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me be more clearer then. You can give your opinion, and then other people on BigSoccer are going to tell you why they feel your opinion is stupid. I'm not saying all your opinions are wrong, hell this is our first interaction...

But rebranding a team whether its some Europhilia loving Olympique Montreal or some North American sports name like the Montreal Giants does nothing other than please someones "create-a-team" desires. Go ahead and tell Montreal fans that you think they should rebrand in the name of the league and most of them will laugh at you. Its not your team and its not necessary for a club that has done really well for itself. Rebranding for rebranding's sake is idiotic.

23. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Hey Montreal fans, I think you should rebrand, because Impact is a stupid name.

But welcome to MLS and may Stade Saputo rock like hell.

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I notice your location is Vienna .... and you have no MLS club listed.

Don't be shocked when you're laughed off/told off in the regard of your opinion about a club/potential club/future club name for the league here.

25. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Been following the league since opening day 1996, the same year I moved to Europe. If you want we could get into a pissing match about why you glory hunt for Arsenal while living on the other side of the ocean, but I doubt that would be productive. Suffice it to say this isn't the Impact board, so all opinions about their crappy name are legitimate here.