New San Diego MLS Team will have massive Right to Dream Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by gogorath, May 17, 2023.

1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I think you are misjudging the size of country and population and the fact that Nordsjælland represent a country with less than 6 million people (so less than an American state on average), but is still outperforming all MLS or English PL clubs in development and sale of players below the age of 20.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, yes. Nobody is saying anything different.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    YSC starts at 7th grade. So, technically correct which is the best kind.

jaykoz3, xbhaskarx and gogorath repped this.
  4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #204 Ceres, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    Actually they are. It seems to me that some people in this thread think that San Diego will be able to outperform the Nordsjælland youth development within the RTD concept, which in my opinion is impossible, just as there would have never been a Brentford in the English PL if not for their Midtjylland partnership, Danish youth development and coaching team.

5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No point discussing it further as nothing has happened yet, we can check up on this and get an update in ten years when there's actual data to back up one side or the other in this argument. Until then you can feel free to leave and make your hundred posts about Nordsjælland or Midtjylland or any other lland somewhere where they are relevant and not in the San Diego thread in a forum for youth national teams of the UNITED STATES.

See you in a decade :thumbsup:

Sup Bro repped this.
  6. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole thread is basically “This San Diego setup is interesting and should be a hotbed for prospects” and then one poster being all “It’ll never be as good as ours! We’re special Vikings!”

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The size of a country is basically irrelevant when it comes to a club's track record of player development (especially when a lot of players are being recruited from other countries). It's not like a club has infinite resources to pour into developing an infinite pool. However, the number of clubs contributing to player development is very important, and this is a big reason why San Diego is a very welcome addition to MLS.

But, San Diego FC is like negative one years old, and the landscape of genuine player development in the US is something like 10-15 years old in the best areas. It's still brand new in many other parts of the country. Comparing our output to Denmark's might be interesting for context, but it doesn't come close to telling the story of how these countries will compare with regard to player development in a few years time.

gomichigan24 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No it's not, in Europe there
    I'm only telling you what the actual intention of the investment in San Diego is all about, just like a future club and academy in England that will be next in this development plan of RTD, it is you who are making up 'fairy tales' about how you would like this to be, or like it to end up, but non of that is a part of the plan.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #209 Ceres, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Of cause it makes a huge difference how big a country, league and the talent pool is. Attracting top foreign talent is not easy at all, especially in Europe, where you are up against much bigger neighboring countries and leagues. Every time a Danish top-flight club manage to attract a neighboring German youth international, like it was the case with Hany Mukhtar to Brøndby or the German U-21 NT captain Yann Aurel Bisseck to AGF Aarhus it's against all odds, because they would have had much better offers from much bigger destinations, but chose a place they believed could further their development better. So this is a tough competition that no American MLS club would stand a chance competing with, because they are neither capable or in need to do so for their own survival.

10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting to get pretty excited about my new team. The investment in development right off the bat is unbelievable.

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If so, that's deplorable. US talent development is not currently there yet. Who knows ten years from now. Myself, I stick to your original claim "the best top-talents from Nordsjælland or Ghana are not going to move to San Diego or it's academy." I don't think that is so obvious a case. In particular for Ghana.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Or the opposite. The first club since Nashville SC to not start their academy before their MLS club. We saw how that worked out for Nashville.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    They are building a $100M worth of facilities and they are run by one of the best developmental organizations out there ... but sure, the key thing here is they wanted to be patient and have things like coaches and fields instead of rushing their first season.

They were awarded the team last July.

superdave, gomichigan24 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nebraska has more and better players than Tennessee. Just saying.

15. ProfessorVoetbal

Feb 21, 2020
    A lot of it comes down to genetics. I used to live in Copenhagen. Danes are on average very good athletes. The average Danish guy was like 6 foot 1 and pretty ripped.

So for the San Diego academy, I guess it comes down to player selection. Are they going to follow the LA Galaxy model or the Philadelphia Union model

16. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are those models?

17. ProfessorVoetbal

Feb 21, 2020
    Picking and[/QUOTE]
    Picking and developing players that European clubs want to buy.

One club is doing that well and one club is doing that terribly. I will let you figure out which one is which

18. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Picking and developing players that European clubs want to buy.

One club is doing that well and one club is doing that terribly. I will let you figure out which one is which[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, I thought you were referring to a specific player selection philosophy

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you think a team in Utah has terrific natural talent? Nashville SC has never played a homegrown player one minute. They are in year 5 in MLS. That is pathetic. They shouldn't have any excuses for that. That is way beyond whether Tennessee is a great state for talent.

They talked a good game too for why they didn't want to have an academy to start out (because that's really what this is as these clubs are in operation before they play MLS games). I don't choose to just believe these clubs that they'll do a good job. So far, the actions of San Diego FC are questionable, at best.

20. ProfessorVoetbal

Feb 21, 2020
    Gotcha, I thought you were referring to a specific player selection philosophy[/QUOTE]

I’m referring to both. Youth development is part good player selection and part actually knowing to develop that talent.

Philly does it the best in the U.S. right now. I wish more teams followed their model

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Home Grown players have Portland and Minnesota signed? Or even given significant minutes to?

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not many!

Definitely two of the other worst culprits and lesser MLS academies.

23. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Owners and GMs are going to create a plan/model/philosophy based on what is most efficient for their specific situation. If they don't believe they have the market/expertise/facilities/etc. to be really good at player development, it doesn't make sense for them to spend tons of resources in that department.

Not all clubs are going to excel there, and that's fine. Some clubs will build their rosters without homegrown talent. They will be at a disadvantage compared to the clubs who are able to produce their own players, but if a club doesn't think they can do that efficiently, it doesn't make sense for them to waste valuable resources trying.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    San Diego has great weather year round and also a lot of good competition. The 14-17 year olds at San Diego FC residential academy will be able to train against good college programs such as San Diego State, USD, and UCSD, as well as high level club teams such as Surf. I have no idea if this is as good as the competition in Denmark, but I know San Diego has a lot of talent for an American county.

gomichigan24 and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  25. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m referring to both. Youth development is part good player selection and part actually knowing to develop that talent.

Philly does it the best in the U.S. right now. I wish more teams followed their model[/QUOTE]

Ya I get it I thought you might have had more insight