NEW RULES AND Chivas news-Theo you might like this.

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ArsenalTexan3, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Got this on the Burn email list and the credit goes to Chazz.

New RULES:

4 Senior International players per team (age 25 and up)
    3 Youth International (age 24 or younger)

That is a total of 7 on every MLS team of 28 players (10 developmental,
    senior)
    But - RSL and the goats each get 2 EXTRA youth international spots for
    and 2006.

Still with me?

OK - so RSL and Chivas each get 9, that's right, 9 international
    players.
    Stay with me here - RSL coveted Chivas' last expansion draft player
    (Stewart)....so, RSL traded one of their extra YI spots to Chivas in
    order
    to get Stewart.

The number of international players allowed is now:
    RSL - 8
    Chivas 10

By the way - green cards do not count as international players.
    OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE INFO:

ROSTER SIZES: In 2005 each MLS team will have 28 total roster spots
    comprised of: 18 senior players and 10 developmental players.
    Developmental
    players can only be 24 years old or younger. All international players,
    including youth internationals, can be signed to either senior player
    contracts or developmental player contracts.

SENIOR INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS: Starting next season each team will be
    allowed
    four senior internationals, foreign players without green cards aged 25
    and
    older during a given season, an increase from the three-man senior
    international limit in 2004.

YOUTH INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS: Starting in 2005 every MLS team will have
    three
    slots for youth international players, foreign players without green
    cards
    aged 24 and younger during a given season. In addition, the two MLS
    expansion teams, Club Deportivo Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake, will
    receive
    two additional youth international player slots (a total of five) for
    their
    first two years of existence. All youth international player spots may
    also
    be traded, which is not the case with senior international player
    slots.

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well Theo it looks like we can get the best of both worlds. Assuming Clarke finds some players in South America and Europe under the age of 24 and the transfer fee not being a big deal, then you might get a chance to see what you think is creative football. Now if Clarke finds a Dutch left winger and a SA forward to link up with EJ and ROB on the right, might be an interesting combo.

3. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, I do like the change. I also share your vision of a mixed team. While I can definitely understand the reason for keeping internationals out of league play, (quicker development of your national team pool depth and quality), I lean towards the flipside. It is still too soon to wean MLS off of the foreign stars. The drought of quality foreigners when one compares the initial years of MLS has been harsh.

MLS must compete against NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL, (not to mention La Liga, EPL, MFL on TV). There is too much competition out there for the entertainment dollar for MLS to not provide a highly entertaining product. I think that this change will be a very good thing for soccer in America. Well, assuming that the salary cap also increases. As for the increase in TI's, I am not so sure that this is as self serving as I would like were I in the American soccer business. A TI lacks name appeal and polish. If they do achieve a name and polish they will be too expensive to keep around. It's like growing the fruit for someone else to harvest. These spots would be better served going to young Americans. Conversely, a current trend I like, is the exportation of talent to foreign countries to open up spots and generate $$ for this league.

Those spots should routinely be replenished by big name SI's who can teach and sell the game.

Now, the Chivas group is going to be hard to compete against. They have several feeders in the form of Saprissa and Guadalajara. The quality of TI that they will get is going to be enourmous when compared to what the rest of the league is going to get. Vergara could easily get 3 guys off of Saprissa as TI's who may very well be of the caliber of our senior national team. In fact I'll bet you will see guys like Saborio, Solis, Sequiera , (who despite their young age play for CR's national team), on this team.

Steve Sampson is also using his former connections to stockpile the Galaxy. (He is talking to Adrián Delemos, Michael Umaña, Walter Centeno, Douglas Sequeira, Steven Bryce and Rolando Fonseca.)

We have a lot of quick catching up to do.

But, oh well. This will be good for American soccer if people come to the stadiums and support this league.

4. SoccerNova2009

SoccerNova2009 New Member

Aug 19, 2000
    probably at a bar
    It was certainly a brilliant move by Vergara to hire Thomas Rongen. As far as fan relations it is a no lose situation that provides an easy excuse. If Chivas USA is successful than it was because of the Latin players on the team and the latin style. If they are not successful than it was because of the Dutch coach and because he didn't understand the Latin style. You can already see some fans setting this up by saying that the only thing that can stop Chivas USA is Thomas "WRONGen". Personally I think he will have success and it is a smart decision to hire someone with MLS experience.

5. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to re-emphasize that the total roster size has INCREASED to 28.
    Now, about YI* - 3 per team, it used to be that there were only 20 in the entire league and they were not necessarily 2 per team.

Put this in perspective - the Developmental Roster has increased from 6 to 10!

That means more American Youths too!

*[Youth International]- (by the way, there are no more TI's)

6. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Chaz....do you know what it has been before? Isn't this part and parcel with the developmental "league"?

El Chapu de Chapus el Chapulin Colorado

7. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hit the nail on the head - it is all about the increase in the number developmental players from 6 to 10. The number of senior team players remains the same as before - 18.