NEW RULE IDEA: Minimum Minutes Threshold - Free Agency Alternative

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by adam tash, Aug 6, 2017.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without MLS, there would have been no World Cup USA 94.

mschofield, billf, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erik Palmer-Brown spent last season getting experience, playing in Portugal. Before that he was in the academy while studying at high school. After he graduated he was called up to the first team squad. He's started 5 of the last 6 games.

Dillon Powers joined Orlando last week after 964 minutes at Colorado this season, where someone described him as "too slow with no vision".

Eric Ayuk is loan at Jönköpings Södra in Sweden after a year at Bethlehem Steel.

Anatola Abang is on loan in Romania.

Michael Salazar is 24. If he's not good enough to start regularly for Montreal then why would anyone else want him?

(Do you do any research?)

What about the dozens of academy products getting regular game time in MLS? Let's focus on those.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1. Promising young players having to earn playing time in MLS 3.0 is a feature not a bug. That way only the really talented, dedicated and smart players see the field.

2. My question is trying to find out if you have researched the young players that would have been hurt by this rule? For example, Alex Bono was drafted in the top 10 for my club and didn't play a minute in 2015 for TFC. He is now the starting keeper for the team with the most points in the league. If your rule was enacted he would have been ..... well you tell me. He wouldn't be with TFC. Bono wasn't ready in 2015 so he was loaned to the USL club. Forcing the MLS club to play him 500 or 1000 minutes when he wasn't ready wouldn't have help him, Toronto FC.or the USMNT.

The number of players you think you are helping with this rule there will be just as many (probably more) that you are going to hurt.

mschofield and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian Green's record at Stuttgart last season

Starting eleven: 7
    Substituted out: 6
    Substituted in: 3
    Unused sub: 7

EPB also went out on loan when he wasn't starting. So what's the difference with JG (besides EPB has played more minutes)?

JasonMa and xtomx repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also suffered from concussions and lost his confidence after missing a PK in 2015. Trust me, nobody in Colorado wanted him starting this year. From what I hear fans in Salt Lake and Orlando didn't want to see Luis Gil playing either. Its not like young players haven't been playing in Colorado. Watts, Ford, Sjoberg, Badji, Hairston, etc.

Sometimes young players just turn out to be bad.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. that is if you trust the braintrusts at various clubs to make fair and accurate assessments of which players deserve and dont deserve playing time....compare parjea and mastro at colorado and see how all the players that were flourishing under pareja ad floundered under mastro. "earning playing time" is cool if every club situation was equal or even adequate. unfortunately there are way too many hacks coaching in MLS. look at how pareja is guiding all the youth in Dallas. there arent enough parejas. are really cool with a guy like olsen or curtain being the final say on whether a young player deserves playing time??? are these guys impeccable??? it would be fine with me if all the young players CHOSE olsen or curtain as their leader by CHOOSING to be on DC.or philly..THEN it would their problem. but in MLS...where players dont choose their sitaution....it is up to the whims of fate whether they ultimately "earn playing time" or not. saad abdul salaam aint earning playing time over zusi no matter what cuz zusi has usmnt fairy dust on him atm....salaam has earned starting status in MLS based on his play...all im saying is give him an out if he's on a team that wont play him.

overall, you are way overestimating the idea that increased competition for playing time truly leads to the best or most worthy actually benefitting from such a situation. in theory, yes....you would think...but its not so simple.

2. i get your point about how the rule could hurt a player like bono....but i think you didnt get the full scope of my original post.....i dont know the EXACT stipulations of how a rule could work....it was more a general proposal of an idea more than a set-in-stone, "this is exactly how it MUST work rule idea.....you could make it so a player and club must agree to an underutilized player being transferred...that way, at least a player like Bono would have an out if he is stuck in a horrible situation like cubo torres etc.....it's all about options, imo.....the essence of my idea is to give players who arent playing an out to another team....maybe they are on a team behind a giovinco and altidore....or a zusi lol.....and CANNOT earn playing time no matter how well they play......

it's not about forcing anything!

its just a recognition that hey MLS club x isnt playing mls player Y.....maaaybe another team would??? what is there to lose from letting a player get a new start on a team that will actually play them????

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its a bug to me.....the economics of MLS make it impossible for players on the same roster to compete fairly with one another for playing time. The DP's ARE STARTING EVERY GAME....if you play the same position as a DP...you are effed in MLS as an unproven player.

i dont see how a player like ebobisse being on a dc united, la galxy, skc etc that dont have much forward options.....is better than railroading him onto a team he has no chance to play for...with a coach who has a horrible record of developing young players.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facts
    • Young players are getting more minutes than ever.
    • Young players who are not getting minutes are often loaned to other teams.
    • Clubs do release players mid-season, Sebastian Le Toux for instance.
    • There are only 3 American born players getting regular time in the BL.
    • Julian Green 10 just ten appearances on loan last season, lasted the full 90 minutes once, and otherwise didn't get off the bench.
    • Patrick Mullins has averaged over 1,000 minutes in each of his full MLS seasons and is hardly young at 25.
    • Erik Palmer-Brown spent 2014 and 2015 in the academy. He spent the whole of last season and part of this season on loan. He's started 5 of SKC's last 6 games.
    • Some players specialize in the substitutes role. (Patrick Vieira mentioned how important Khiry Shelton was coming off the bench (Vieira also practices team rotation to make sure as many payers as possible get minutes).

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, Marlon Hairston has started more games in the last two years at winger for the Rapids than DP Juan Ramirez...

Elninho repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 Paul Berry, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    He started last night, his 7th appearance for the first team this season and 11th overall including T2. Every time you complain about a player not getting minutes it seems like your forgetting that most of them are on loan, or have been on to a second division team, just like Julian Green.

The whole premise of your argument seems to be wrong!

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to wade into this against better judgement, first there's absolutely no reason for MLS as a league to implement any of this nonsense. This is really a topic for the PU to collectively bargain. I think it will value other things.

I'll point out this, however, sometimes players don't play. The Union have had dozens of players come through that last a year, don't play and move on. Its rare that an MLS team will waste a roster spot on someone who doesn't play for multiple seasons. Additionally, many of the players who'd fit this mold are on one year deals with rolling options over two or three years. Every October we see a list of players by team where options are not exercised. Do you know what happens next? ...they go through the re-entry process. Any team in the league can claim these players and pick up the rest of the contract. Most slide all the way through which essentially makes them free-agents.

With the USL teams, we are seeing some kids get real minutes and I think that's great. It'll help this a great deal. However, may teams have different philosophies so yeah the DPs make things tough, but that's how you grow as a player. If we'd rather have a league for young Americans, completely different discussion.

12. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You really must stop with the generalizations. The DP's do NOT start every match. This miss time due to NT call-ups, injuries etc. And there are plenty of opportunities for young players to make the best of a start and force their way into the lineup even when the DP's return. Again, look at Toronto FC over the past 2 years. Do all young players take their chance? No. But stating that they never or seldom get a chance is simply wrong.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Stertzer at NYCFC is an example of a player signed on a one year agreement to provide depth but has barely had any playing time.

But he's probably better off completing the season at NYCFC than becoming a free agent and ending up unemployed..

NYCFC would actually benefit more than him as it would free up roster slot to bring up an academy player towards the end of the season.

14. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The union wanted to bring up a player but apparently the rules are far more restrictive than many think. They ended up signing him to a pre-contract for next year. MLS is a strange beast.

Paul Berry repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union is fairly rare though in that it looks like virtually the whole U18 academy is registered with Bethlehem Steel. I only see a couple of other teams that do that.

Maybe it's something Adam should bring up the next time he meets with DG.

billf repped this.
  16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fairly certain that's because of an MLS rule I do not understand. There could be NCAA implications as well since they have to leave that option open. A few academy players get regular minutes with steel, including the one they signed, so it could have something to do with this also.

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #42 Elninho, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Nery Castillo, Sherjill McDonald, Federico Puppo, Juan Luis Anangonó, Gilberto, Gabriel Torres, Andres Mendoza, Branko Bošković, Rafael, Hamdi Salihi, Denilson, Eric Hassli, Luis Ángel Landín, Alexander López, Lucas Ontivero, Milton Caraglio, Jerry Bengtson, Frank Rost, Omer Damari, Bryan Róchez, Freddy Adu, Kléberson, Sebastián Jaime, Geovanni, Innocent Emeghara, Christian Tiffert, Nelson Haedo Valdez, Jéferson, Diego Rubio, Mista, Mustapha Jarju, and Kenny Miller -- all past DPs who spent at least half a season (if not much more -- some for two years or longer) as substitutes or reserves while carrying the DP tag.

(Rubio is now a starter for Sporting KC, but he sat on the bench for his entire season as a DP and didn't become a starter until he was no longer a DP.)

And this season, Aníbal Chalá got loaned out without seeing the field, Cristian Colmán has been mostly a bench player, Gonzalo Verón is in his third season as a DP without ever being a starter for more than a month at a time, Yura Movsisyan has spent the last half of this season relegated to the bench, and Brek Shea is at best a part-time starter.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What the USMNT needs is a bunch of players who have forced their way to the top of the pecking order, young players who have made older players irrelevant. This is how the football world works everywhere. No one, anywhere, is handed playing time to develop. Instead, they steal it from older, established players.
    EPB could have started on some MLS sides in 2017. But the players ahead of him in SKC were better in practice, and didn't give him an opening by screwing up in games.This means it was up to him to force the decision. Fidning him as easy path to the field is not the solution. Making him claw his way to the field is the solution.
    His playing time situation isn't about to get easier. He will find that ManCity and the clubs to which he will head on loan have the same system. If he wants to play, he needs to force the issue. Be better than those above him in the pecking order day in and day out. When he's looking to replace a national team player, or a player who is putting in top 11 performances every couple weeks, he needs to be a lot better than they are.
    Young players hoping to break into first 11s in MLS need to dominate the USL when that's where they're playing, They can't simply play well enough, but should take over games to the point that managers realize "I have got to get this guy some time."
    Orange slices and everybody plays doesn't work in the big time.
    Beyond that, MLS is younger than it was 10 years ago, isn't it? Younger players do play? There was a moment this season when SKC was starting a front line of 19, 20 and 23, and dumped one of the league's top scorers, who had just become a USMNT player, and pushed another USMNT player to right back, because the manager was convinced he was better served by youth.
    Very rarely, a supreme talent gets screwed by a manager who doesn't like winning and plays lesser players because he likes getting severance checks, I suppose.
    But the norm is managers play the players who give them the best chance to win, and that means their best players. Breaking into the team is never easy, and for the development of elite players, that's a good thing.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 adam tash, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    i hear what you are saying but I see it differently. I do think that young players need to do more to 'force the issue' so to speak...but i also think that MLS managers are very strict with how their players a re allowd to express themselves and dont give young players a lot of leeway....in turn, lot play timidly and without personality. look at what MLS has done to zardes...he was exciting when he first came on the scene but now look at him....he's boring and not any better than when he was a rookie, imo.

another point, for example, if players like pulisic or mckennie had signed to a club like bayern munich, there's a good chance that they both wouldve yet to play in the BL and would be seen as closer to julian green than they currently are. ITS IMPORTANT THAT YOUNG PLAYERS ARE ALLOWED TO FIND ThE SITUATION THAT FITS THEM!!..something MLS doesnt do.

you cant use the rest of the world as an example of how things are done i.e. playing time but ignore that the rest of the world allows players TO CHOOSE WHAT TEAM and SITUATION THEY JOIN. considering that MLS just sticks all their young players randomly on random teams - the throw the ish on the wall approach - NOT HOW THE REST OF THE WORLD DOES IT ALL - I am holding MLS" feet to the flames here.

DP's are unbenchable!!! MUllins would never have a 4 goal game if was still behind david villa. he could be the next pulisic - hell if pulisic was behind villa at nycfc he woulda barely play too!!

MLS salary structure simply doesnt allow for honest competition. clubs that miss on DPs FAIL...hence, dps are unbenchable.....god forbid a good prospect is stuck behind a star or DP in MLS....forget about playing time in that situation....a few mop up minutes yeah...but other than that ...they are screwed.

this whole notion that you just have to beat out those in front of is nice in theory but naive and romantic as well. it assumes there is this objective process that is totally fair and impartial...but it is rife with bias and subjectivity and politics in reality.

beyond that, in other leagues...there are tiers of teams WITHIN EVERy LEAGUE...a young can player can start on a relegation team...get playing time and move up to mid table or even top of the table team....all the while gettting playing time. in MLS....there are holes in rosters that could be filled by bench youth stuck behind foreign imports/DPs...but that doesnt happen cuz MLS wants to give clubs maximum player rights and limit player efficacy so they can dominate collective bargaining and salary negotiations.

and to the EPB move, i dont like it. but i also didnt like that he couldve played on most MLS teams and just happened to have the bad luck of being forced to be on one of the few mls teams he wouldnt start for...(which is a subjective call by the way...many managers wouldve played him im sure...so lets not pretend it is an objective process devoid of LUCK)...in that situation, the league needs to step in and finda way to get EPB and players like him onto teams that will give him playing time...cuz there are a bunch in MLS willing, im sure.

look at jose villareal...he has 3 assists this season in MLS in like 300 minutes....he's good enough to be playing in MLS...but the structure of LAG roster simply doesnt let him on the field. put him on a team that will play him...he's good enough for MLS and not playing and it is a rampant problem!!!!!

to me the question should not be: can a player beat out the players that happen to be in front of them on whatever random MLS roster they are stuck on ? but rather...is player x in the top ~20-40 at their position in MLS...if so, they should be playing MLS. period. right now, theres just way too many players in the top 20-40 at their postions that arent playing...and for what? so MLS can maintain the no free agency rule? when the same thing was happens to players abroad....everyone says get out of there get off that team, bad move, etc....but when it happens in MLS...its the player wasnt good enough.....there's no escape hatch for a player in a bad MLS situation like there is for players in europe or mexico etc.....

its not about orange slices or coddling players...they dont have control over where they play like in the rest of the world!! so, in turn, MLS should allow for more player freedom of movement to make sure players who are deserving of MLS playing time actually play! can you not see that the same team could conceivably have 4 forwards in the top 20 in MLS or 3 of the top 10 right backs on the same roster?? if those 3 or 4 players chose their stuations then i wouldnt have as much sympathy....but they dont. a saad abdul salaam is stuck behind a zusi...but hes an MLS level playyer 100%...

..i could care less about the integrity of club rights they are way too strong as is.....i just wanna see the best players and best prospects playing...whatever has to happen to make that the case needs to..and if something like I am talking about was implemented....QUALITY OF PLAY WOULD IMPROVE too. everyone would win...except depth of MLS team rosters....which sucks anyway...and should be fixed with higher salary cap not by limiting player freedom anyway.

back to the original idea of the thread....if a club is not playing a player more than a handful of minutes....let all the other MLS teams have the chance to play that player. what is there to lose??? MLS teams rebuild their rosters every year anyway...its not like there isnt massive roster fluctuation on a yearly basis as it is....i just dont see MLS club rights over players as this holy grail that most do apparently.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would disagree a bit here. DPs are certainly benchable. SKC made a habit of bringing in high priced players Vermes didn't like and didn't play. He benched his highest paid player for a solid month this season. Colorado put Doyle on the bench.
    Also, as far as chosing a club, don't young unsigned players have just as much leeway in the US as anywhere. And the elite level of player you are talking about can now and always could hold MLS feet to the fire, because they have options. EPB had options when he signed for SKC. But it is worth remembering that despite the sturm and drang over his time in MLS, he did become the player he is while in the SKC system.
    You are correct that there is more movement possible elsewhere, but it isn't exactly free movement. Young players sign contracts, and are tied to the clubs with which they signed. as is the case in MLS, young players can get loans to other teams, but holding on to rights is a big deal everywhere (though with a goal of selling in europe, for many sides).
    I do think MLS is trying to address the problem you're raising with B sides. For SKC ( I know a lot more about them than other MLS sides, so I use them), the addition of Swope Park Rangers means lot of field time for a lot of prospects, and SKC uses the team very much for development. SKC has already seen a couple players move up through the ranks, Salloi being quite noticeable among them.
    In league loans might be an option. the problem with that is that young players on the edge of breaking into an 11 but not playing are often seen as emergency cover, and forcing clubs to move out emergency cover makes clubs weaker.
    As MLS gets stronger, it gets younger. It used to be the average player age was over 28, now it's getting closer to the 24-26 sweet spot. A lot of 22 year olds play primary roles, and this year quite a few younger player made an impression.
    As for Villareal at LAG (you're talking about the midfielder, right, not the forward?), I'm sorry, but if he's unable to break into that hot mess of a side, exactly where on Earth could he play? I've had the misfortune to watch them three weeks in a row, and I do not believe Sigi is a total idiot, but they are horrible. If Sigi had anyone who could help, in any fashion, they'd be playing. FFS, he had Zardes at an outside back this weekend. He's trying everything.

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    He hasn't impressed any coach he has had at first team level. Slow in both movement and decision making. It's just adam trying to create a "logical" argument out of "stats" without knowing the player, his abilities or history. When he is out of the game or playing in the USL or 2nd division of Mexico it will be MLS's fault for not developing him.

C'mon scho you know how this game is played. We've seen it hundreds upon hundreds of times.

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait, Diego Rubio is a DP? He makes $200K a year? why is he tagged?
    That said, your point is dead on. And add Claudio Bieler and Omar Bravo to the DPs benched.

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay...yeah you found a few "no-name" low profile DPs who have been benched....as more and more DP's come into MLS there will be more who are benched and fail....but % wise...they are unbenchable....the vast majority are unbenchable the villas and giovincos are playing 100% of games no matter what...thats what im talking about...if you are stuck behind a giovinco or josef martinez or villa you arent playing no matter what you do....are there some DPs who are benched? yes. but are those GMs still employed? probably not. mastro is gone. regardless, point being is that it is not a fair, level competition between supplemental roster players and DPs for playing time...its hugely in favor of higher priced players. therefore, you cant use the argument that players need to earn playing time...when it is an unfair process of competition. the benefit of the doubt will always go to the higher priced player and its not right to hold that against the lower paid players when they dont "earn" playing time.

no ..,unsigned players in MLS and USA have WAY LESS leeway than other places....you can choose your team in europe. in mls you are already claimed by an MLS team before ever signing a contract. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! monumnetal difference.

EPB and other homegrowns DONT have options in MLS....teens cant sign in europe until 18...they either have to sign with whatever MLS team has their rights or wait it out in USL or NASL or whatever MLS team already owns them.giving SKC credit for helping EPB become the player he is is too much...they havent done anything for him!

the bsides are good in theory but so far its just that a theory. when a player makes a move from an mls b-side to a euro team or a bigger league, let me know. then i will know that b-sides are worthwhile.

villareal was just an example....3 assists in 300 minutes is not bad....i think he's been injured and been stuck behind coach's faves his career. zardes and lletget and boateng allessandrini etc.....hard to breakthrough when you have DPs and USMNT players ahead of you on the depth chart. when i have watched him he has been good.....all i can say is that Sigi is no genius...with that rosters lag should be better....dont think it was a coincidence that seattl qon mls cup as soon as he left. im tired of all these re-tred coaches in MLS being seen as infallible. econmics is the reason villreal isnt playing plain and simple....hes a perfect case of a player who hasnt been given a chance because of higher priced players ahead of him. what more could he do than 3 assists in 300 minutes???

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More than a few were found.There haven't been that many. And. as DPs are brought in as top players at clubs, it isn't at all surprising that they tend to start whenever possible. Who in MLS plays ahead of Villa or Giovinco? It's not the tag that puts them in the game, it's a the talent.
    Of course SKC can be proud of EPB. He's been with the club since he was 12. After being with SKC as a professional for a couple years he's been signed by ManCity.
    Is your point that he was fully developed at 8? Or is it that players don't need to play for clubs to mature, that clubs don't matter? That mancity randomly signs players? That he's not better than we he arrived? (he is a ton better, btw).
    Of course SKC developed EPB. Unless the belief is that players are not developed, at all. SKC is where he became the player he is today. SKc is where he learned, and where he trained. It's where he went from kid who plays a game to adult who works at it, day in and day out.
    Players don't develop on the field during games, that's where they show off how much they've developed.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in the history of MLS yes there were dps who got benched...when DP spending was a lot lower....this season there arent many DPs who dont play every eligible minutte they are healthy for....the ones who dont are outliers...and the overwhelming minority.

its not about necessarily playing over a giovinco or villa...its about being an MLS caliber starter being STUCK behind a player like that AND HAVING NO RECOURSE..and for the USMNT that that is less than ideal to have a mullins, etc stuck behind one of those guys when they could possibly become a national team player if they could start consistently in a league they are good enough to start in but arent b/c of random happenstance. a year or 2 or 3 on the sidelines for a 20-22 year old effectively ends any chance such players can become national team starters....these are crucial windows for development that are not very big and need to be hit to keep the cielings of players as high as possible. but MLS doesnt wanna sell players...so what do they care??

no i dont think SKC deserves credit for developing EPB when he has barely played for them as a professional over the span of several seasons. whatever he is, isnt b/c of what he has done with SKC.

eddie popes and donovans come along once in ablue moon and would be who they are no matter who "owns" their rights...MLS just owned EPB's rights and he would be the same whther they did or didnt.

i disagree. i think playing time is what develops players. without playing time, players have no chance of developing.

we clearly see things almost directly opposite...crazy but i guess thats just how it is.