New revenue stream for MLS broadcasters?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pbsharp, Jan 6, 2009.

1. pbsharp

pbsharp Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Troy, MI
    In a never-ending quest to make sure I do my part to help keep MLS a sustainable business venture, so that the league will not only survive but excel, I wanted to put out an idea that I’m not sure has been discussed before.

I understand that the broadcasters need to obtain revenue while broadcasting soccer, but I hated ESPN’s attempts with the split screen commercial breaks right in the middle of the action. Instead, I propose an ad placement that will not require an interruption of the broadcast. Using the same technology that Football uses to mark the first down yardage, why couldn’t they digitally place ads on the playing surface? Check out this link that explains the technology:

http://www.fandome.com/video/107610/The-Mystery-of-the-Yellow-Line/

I assume by making the ad larger and clearer to read, the networks would be able to charge more than what they get for putting a very small logo up in the corner of the screen. Over the last few years, the NHL has started adding ads into the ice surface, and at first I thought it was too much, but now I have become accustom to the look.

I am sure the purists will scream at this idea, but if it means making broadcasting MLS more profitable for the networks, driving more money to the people that invest in the sport, and helps grow the league; I am all for it.

What do you think? (Or let the flaming begin….)

Paul.

2. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't think they'd split the screen like that since '06 season (if not the '05 season).

I sure as heck don't remember seeing them do it once last year. Did they?

3. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't recall them splitting the screen for commercials, just the abominable "30 at 30" updates which to me are probably more annoying than if they split the screen for ads. Is the running ticker at the bottom not enough?

4. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we can just keep the adboards around the field and have the little ads right next to the clock and score.

I dont know why there needs to be more than that.

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they do show more commericial they should show a quick 10 secon mini screen view of it and have visibile where it doesnt look like in interferes with to much with view

6. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    They did something similar to this for a NASCAR race a year or two ago on TNT. There were no commercial breaks under green flag racing, just a small box in the lower right that would play a couple of spots with the PBP team quiet.

It seemed to work well and didn't interfere with the racing. I wouldn't care for it during an MLS game, but I guess I could live with it. Maybe if they did it during an injury or setting up for a free kick.

Something I think would work better is projecting ads on either side of the goal, like they do in the Dutch leagues. They project virtual adboards on the field and it doesn't interfere with the game, nor do the attending fans even see it.

Broadcasters here would probably do something other than an adboard, something more animated.