New Player Signing

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by wz187, Apr 1, 2007.

1. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...you can never trust some of that stuff... even on this MLSNET article about the Wizards Rusert states that Sasha played right back for us last season....

2. CompSlave

CompSlave Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I actually didn't write that part. Just so you know :).

But Gansler did try Victorine at right back when Victorine arrived in 2005. I believe that is what the mlsnet.com editor was referring to. Only off by a year!

3. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about this as well. I guess it comes down to which of Victorine or Zavagnin is playing better, unless Harrington isn't as ready as everyone thinks he is and Victorine plays outside mid.

4. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. This makes me even more excited to watch the exibition on Saturday.

5. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shook the Scoopster ;)

7. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Mead's career is safe.

So Shook, is the zoom broken on that camera or did you use your cell phone? I can almost make out his silouette from the orange hunting gear he's sporting.:D

8. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is really funny...I was talking to him on the phone while he was there and I could hear the security gaurd yelling at OG to stop harassing the players....lol. Actually, he was chatting with one of them after practice ended, but I guess security saw that as harassment.

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Who didn't Bob try at right back at some point? I'm surprised we never saw Bo or a golden retriever there.

10. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The camera I had wasn't one really suited for this... but I couldn't find my wife's camera that woudl have got real closeups.

11. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, a true stat to see how good he is would either be assist or how many goals the forwards scored when he was on the field. I dont care if he ever scores a goal if he is giving good service to our forwards.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Just a note. Please close this and start an official thread about this signing if MLS or KCWiz put it on their web sites. I'm going to Florida for the weekend and won't be around, but this needs its own thread if it's true. Thanks.

13. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No need to close this thread IMO, it is a speculation thread. An official thread should be opened when it is official.

But until then, let us speculate.

14. RyanTull79

RyanTull79 New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    hilarious! starting at midfield for your Kansas City Wizards!
    [​IMG]

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Yay Bob Luder's getting his scoops from George Shook!

The Kansas City Star's coverage is even worse this year than in past years. The Wizards are now listed below the frigging T-Bones on the left nav of their website. Not even official minor league baseball, but Northern League baseball.

I know it's tough to get space in print, but expanding your online coverage should be simple.

How hard would it be for them to start a blog like you see in Houston, Washington, Chicago, Denver, and on and on? I'm not even sure Luder's even trying anymore, but it's probably his editors.

Pathetic.

16. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more.

17. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    The KC Star Sports page is a multiple national award winner that does many things at a very high level. Bob Loder and the KC Wizards’ coverage remains an underwhelming and glaring example of what can be done to improve on “pretty good.

Marianelli: CK got a guy, OK. I do wish there was another on the horizon. He probably isn’t going to fill the stands with ladies based on the superficial. Let’s hope he can bring in people with his passing. The timing also sucks. Who knows if he’s legal for the opener. We’ve read the scouting report. There is some skill there. I wonder if it’s just a band-aid for gushing would until KC gets to a new stadium and consequently something the media can lock onto. Also complicating things is EJ up top. For KC to be successful a number of things must happen, none probably more important than EJ gaining form and putting up at least 12 goals. It’s a big “if”. Admittedly, this if would be the same regardless of anyone KC would be able bring in…still.

To that, it looks more and more like Wolff for Marianelli is the straight roster swap. Anyone happy with that development? I’m not, not today. Even if you give Marianelli benefit of the doubt and say his resume translates to an 8-8 producer in MLS – a huge stretch - KC is still only at par with Wolff’s departure. Par in this case is a 5th place East finish well out of a reduced 6-team ’07 playoff field. Wolff did have Cup absences so there is opportunity.

Anyway, a lot of ifs. This isn’t the signing of Mo Johnston. This guy has zero international chops. At least two teams have clearly given up on his potential and MLS is touted as being an improving league. He couldn’t cut it in Torino. Torino. It is clear KC’s goal in ’07 is to kill time for another high draft pick until the stadium situation clears and the coach matures. The goal isn’t anything remotely close to winning hardware. That’s the realistic/pessimistic view.

Optomism: It seems to be “Beat on KC” week in the US soccer media. Maybe Marianelli has sweet vision to go with his ball skills. Maybe he helps Sealy get to 8 and EJ to 12. Maybe he can help make younger guys better today. Maybe his defense was the gaping hole causing him to be let go abroad and now he’s committed to improvement. Men in their mid-twenties tend to for the first time be more open to ideas beyond their own noses. Maybe the national media doesn’t know squat. KC has never been picked to be good, so why change now? Maybe KC can beat DC anywhere for the first time in too long. Maybe JJ is the right back solution. Maybe the #1 is the MLS RotY to be. Maybe Conrad is the converse of overrated on the field and underrated off it. Maybe Hartman isn’t, “flirting with past it”. Maybe Zags isn’t, “…sleeping with ‘past it’.” No doubt his signifigant other appreciated that bit of prose. Maybe Onolfo is the future US Nat coach on loan until KC’s 4th consecutive title. Maybe KC’s 3-4-3 pre-season record – the only MLS club to have a losing pre-season and KC’s worst ever spring – is a fluke.

I need a drink.

-WC

18. KCOffsider

KCOffsider New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Isn't it still an 8 team playoff?

2 top East teams +
    2 top West teams +
    4 next best teams
    8 playoff teams

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is.

20. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking more of a Marianelli -VDB swap. I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it; I'll let you know in June.

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Scott Sealy
    Year / GP / GS / MIN / G / A
    2005 / 28 / 20 / 1669 / 9 / 2
    2006 / 29 / 20 / 1762 / 10 / 1

I think Sealy's got 8 in the bank being that he's a fulltime starter now. Hopefully, anyways.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Chicago has been beaten like a rented mule in the preseason.

Cristian Gomez couldn't cut it at Nueva Chicago, a bottom feeder in the Argentine league where former DC great Filomeno now plays. I'd imagine Torino is stronger than Nueva Chicago, so have a little hope.

Try to imagine what it's like to be a Revs fan, where there's literally an embargo on signing anyone new at the start of the season. Count yourself lucky.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC is only on par with last year roster wise? Last year while Wolff did miss time he only produced something like 5 goals and 2 assists. What about the keeper upgrade that you'd been calling for for about a year plus now?

To go along with that is this that I found on CNNSI. 12 of 14 '06 Ls were by one goal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ryan_hunt/04/04/free.kicks/index.html

It has definitly been beat on KC, almost everything I've read has us finishing at bottom or near bottom of the East. As for some of the rest of this, Harrington right now looks to be one of the only rookies at the moment that looks like he'll get to make an immediate impact as at the moment he looks to be plugged in as our starting left mid. You're missing a game from your preseason results though. I assume you only did the first team matches, and not the 3 reserve matches I can find where they went 2-0-1

first team matches
    New York - L
    Columbus - L
    DC - D
    Chicago - W
    U-17's - W
    Defensa & Justicia - D
    San Lorenzo - L
    Boca Juniors - L
    Nuevo Chicago - W (There's no write up on this match, the only way you know it was played is from Hartman's blog second paragraph: http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_new...nt_id=85974&vkey=news_kcw&fext=.jsp&team=t105 )
    River Plate - W
    Columbus - D

That's 4-4-3

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From looking through the reports on the Fire's website, the Fire went 5-8-1 this preseason, beating South FL, U-17 National Team, RSL, Chivas, and UAB. They lost to Houston, KC, Chivas, LA, UCLA, Dallas, Honduras, and Miami. They drew with the Crew.