New Player of the Season 07/08

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Grinners89, May 2, 2008.

1. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Provide a who and why the player gets your vote.

Again I cant go past Fernando, given that he has my vote for player of the season he is a monty for the new player of the season...unlike the strange voting process for the PFA Awards.

2. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torres gets the nod for me...again.

Though I was impressed with all of Rafas buys and I am looking forward to this summer so he can continue his great buying streak.

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Since we all know Torres is going to win this hands down- as he was outstanding for a guy debuting in the EPL, I was going to go the novelty vote for Voronin, little knowing you wouldn't include him in the poll! :D

I think there's going to be a lot of man man love comments in this thread involving this hunk of a man! :D

[​IMG]

4. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got those out of the way early in the season :D

5. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Torres as well. He took what his 'mates gave him and made the most out of it.

6. rockymtn.mike

rockymtn.mike Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Lochbuie, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    can you hear the drums......

(for) Fernando

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernando Torres
    Liverpool's number 9

8. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    I dont think its right to have a best player and a best new player award when torres scored 75 goals and clearly wins both, so i voted for Babel!

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    torres

babel - this kid has the potential to be a MONSTER

10. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    This is even in question??

11. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, who's the hoo-ha that voted for Benayoun? Next time, make it a public poll. :D

12. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Voronin!?

13. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted Torres, but Babel had a good introduction season.

14. canuckred

canuckred Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I would have to give it to Torres I think it's really no contest. Best new player of the season who isn't Torres would have to be Skrtel. Babel has had a great season but has not fit in to the first team so fast and been as consistant as Skrtel

15. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would vote for Torres, but he didn't even play in the first half of the season.

So the clear vote is for Mrtn Skrtl.

16. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Does anybody else see the irony in this? Neither did Skrtl!

17. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine where we'd be right now if Rafa wouldn't have rested Torres so much.

18. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Torres injured earlier in the season? He kept getting slight knocks that turned into bigger problems because of NT duty. He's still New player of the season, FFS.

I think Rafa should hatch a plan which involves Torres going down with a "serious knee injury" during a "closed door scrimmage". That way he can rest all summer and not play in the Euro championships, and then at the beginning of pre-season next year El-Zhar can bring back a Moroccan medicine man who heals Torres completely like he was never, ever injured. ;)

My genius at work again. :D

19. Morsello

Morsello New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Voted for Torres ofcourse. Special mention to Skrtel too, he has adapted into the team well and has been solid with the exception of a few 'from behind' tackles warranting free kicks.

20. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No contest.

El Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooo

21. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Babel gets ill.

22. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Apart from Voronin all Rafa's signings over the last year have delivered. Torres has stunned me with just how good he has been - he will be for us what Henry was for the Gunners. Babel has also scored heavily and will only improve once his confidence increases. His pace gives us another attacking dimension. Yossi has shown how good his ball control is and his eye for a killer through ball as well as scoring into double figures. Skrtel reminds me of Rio Ferdinand in that he is very tall and good in the air but also very swift and comfortable on the ball. Despite being an unknown to me before his signing he has the potential to be an awesome player for us in the heart of defense. Like Torres he has settled really quickly and should improve even more once his English and communication skills get better.

The winner has to be Torres as he is the best new arrival in the Premiership anywhere this season. He has been the best striker in England and the best new signing. He has simply outshone all other strikers this season with his variety, quantity and style of goals. If C Ronaldo had not scored an unbelievable amount of goals this season then Torres would be Player of the Season in England. Considering that Torres took no penalties or free kicks this season then 33 goals in a debut season is simply breathtaking. Well done Rafa, you staked your reputation on signing Torres and it paid off. :)

23. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voronin 5 goals in 19 appearances, a goal every 4 appearances.

Kuyt 11 goals in 43 appearances, a goal every 4 appearances

Crouch 11 goals in 31 appearances, a goal every 3 appearances

I don't think Voronin did that bad and for an injury-riddled, fourth choice striker in his debut EPL season I would have to say that what he did was not half-bad. Give him one more year, if he stays healthy he will be a good choice for cup games and late on in league games when we need pace and maybe another striker on to get a result. People are giving Voronin too tough a time me thinks.

Yay or Nay?

24. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I am not knocking Voronin. I am just saying he has not had as good an impact as the other signings I mentioned. He may do better next year of course but so far he has been outshone by Torres, Babel, Benayoun, Lucas and Skrtel.

25. RedRed

RedRed New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Torres.

No need as to why.