New Pictures: PaeTec Park 3/30/07

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Rochester, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that im a new fan to MLS and just soccer in general, I had no idea what you were talking about when you posted this.

After doing my research, it looks like this team is on the right track. Has a pretty decent fan base comparable to MLS, now has its own stadium, and is a strong team with a strong level of play. If they want to be a part of MLS, why not? Im confused because this is like having an expansion team without having to do all the work and spend all the money to bring it up. Wouldnt it be a good thing to have a team like this added to MLS? Its kinda like a freebie isn`t it???

Just curious.............

3. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I think you're confused. Yes, it's a freebie, but not for MLS. Why would MLS want to give Rochester a free share of their league when they're presently asking other investor groups for $30 million? The last team that was sold, DC United, went for $33 million. If you were running a business, would you give away your products or would you try to sell them? It's not a charity, it's a business.

4. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Im sorry, I think the use of the word "freebie" was misunderstood. I don`t mean anything will be free. I meant "freebie" as in the fact that Rochester already has a good fan base, a soccer specific stadium, basically what MLS wants in an expansion team. They just need some good investors to get financially stable and they would be a good expansion team. (Unless they already have investors)

After they gather their money, they could pay the $30 million fee to get in the league and they get their share.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Those "good investors" seem to have gotten lost somewhere in transit. Rochester could have joined the league anytime in the last few years when the expansion fee was only $10 million. There was a time when having a stadium like Rochester's was a big deal. Now it's a bare minimum for any MLS team. I'm afraid the train might have left the station for Rochester.

6. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats disappointing. And it does seem like Garber is using Rochester as a fall back team, just in case an expansion team doesn`t work out.

7. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester has been Garber's back up boyfriend for a while. Like Denver Mugwump said, I think the train may have left Rochester's station immediately after the ESPN deal was signed and EVERYONE else had their new Soccer Specific Stadium deal.

8. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wish Rochester the best of luck with getting into MLS (if they still want to.) But yea, I don`t see why not to pick them as an expansion team.

9. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    PaeTek is a smart looking stadium and I wish the team every success in whatever league they choose, whether MLS or USL. Hey, USL may yet become America's top league.

10. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Fargo
    Is any of this phase 2 money? If not, are they getting any of that $$?

11. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly none of that "garaunteed" phase 2 money has hit the Rhinos bank account yet. AND because of how things were done last year, NO ONE will do work for the Rhinos without close to a full payment upfront.

12. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Fargo
    OUCH!

13. J0nas3

J0nas3 New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I've seen 4 games at PAETEC this year, and had a camera at 3 of them.

Rochester 2:0 Miami FC:
    http://www.flickr.com/gp/66275000@N00/29R4x4

Rochester 1:0 Long Island Rough Riders:
    http://www.flickr.com/gp/66275000@N00/2k4rU8
    Attendance for this game was frankly embarrassing. It was the least people ever to see a Rhinos game, including games played at Frontier and Fauver.

Rochester 5:2 Charleston Battery:
    http://www.flickr.com/gp/66275000@N00/g8Tx1N
    The team has had meet and greets on the field at every game I've attended, but I only went to one at the Battery game.

14. Yid_Army99

Yid_Army99 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Looks perfect for a new team in the mls for Rochester.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It is a very basic 'no frills' stadium by the standard being set by current construction. Yes, it has a primary soccer purpose, but it is a very simple structure.

16. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Albany boy... It is a great stadium. It has so much potential also. How about you go back to Albany and try and make that crap whole better at distributing money.

17. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    there are many grounds around teh world that are 'no frills' i mean Members Equity and Hindmarsh Stadiums in Perth and Adelaide Respectively are simple gorunds but provide an excellent viewing experience for fans.