*new* P-40's

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Nov 20, 2004.

1. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually that's not exactly true. The players were talking about in this thread would be P-40s and most P-40s make over 40K a year. Plus College programs only have 9.9 scholorships to hand out to 24 players, it's very rare for a player to get a full scholorship. I was told that the vast majority of the players get 1/3 or less of a Scholorship. P-40 pays for the whole thing.

Now if were talking about going after 17-19 year olds with development contracts, then yeah it is more difficult. Something Dev contracts has going for it now is 850 a month is good money for 17-19 year olds, not many places they'll make that kind of money at that age working part time jobs, practicing and learning with Pros, and now they'll get reserve games to hash out what they learn on the practice pitch. Now what needs to happen in order to get these 17-19 year olds to Dev contracts is MLS needs to get a scholorship program up for them and they need to get living spaces for them(a house with four bedrooms would work just fine right now).

That way Dev can be used to pick up those players right on the fringe of the youth nats who go to college and become top performers there and P-40 can be used to pick up youth Nats and top college perfromers who didn't go Dev earlier(like a Ryan Pore).

2. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    I've got the sense that the expanded rosters are a way to give more senior college players a chance to show themselves than a way of getting a lot more teenagers to sign with the league.

Because of the limited roster spaces and playing opportunities, I think a lot of players who could contribute in MLS fall through the cracks and do something else for a living. Davy Arnaud, Olivier Occean, Jeff Parke etc. make me think there must be more out there. I think the idea is not that these fringe college players will rapidly improve in a pro environment, but they will have a chance to play in a new system with better coaching that might recognize valuable skillsets. I expect that the large dev rosters will turn over a lot every year as coaches replace the guys who can't cut it and keep the few guys who show well in the reserve matches.

That's my take anyway, could be totally wrong.

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think that will be true for a year or two, but after that who knows? If they can add a scholie program and get living quarters for those players, the dev contract could attract more of those top 17 year olds who would have gone to college otherwise because their not exactly P-40 canidates on the U-17 team.

One thing to look at is how many U-17s and Fresh/Sophs are enticed to go P-40 with Reserve games this year and next. If over the next two years we see more of them coming out, then I think in about 3 or 4 years you'll see MLS teams go after some of those 17 year olds with dev contracts too. Reserve games are the key here, it's the one thing MLS couldn't offer these players before that they can now; games.

It's all about what it can evolve into not what it is now. Who would have said three years ago the dev roster would change into a reserve team setup?

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible.

But as posted above, as an underclassman they have to be offered a deal by MLS. They can't just declair and come ouot early like in the NFL. If they don't sign a contract P40 they can't just make themselves draftable.

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard from Blake Camp's people. He will be returning to Duke for his senior season.

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Was that confirmed Moor and Klaas weren't offered P-40 last year? Just dosen't sound like MLS to pass up on two U-20 players if they wanted to come out early. Considering Josh Gardner was offered last year out of no where and their offering Moor this year, it just seems to me they didn't want to go P-40.

So of the likely canidates Camp and Garey are out. Has anyone heard anything on Pore?

Confirmed is Moor, Zeyner, and Watson right?

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was. Watson was not either.

MLS talks to likely players, sees if they have interest, then goes to the MLS teams and asks if anyone wants them signed. If a team (teams) say yes they will be signed. If no one says yes for sure, then no offer. If you say yes, then come the end of the draft if no one has taken the player then the team who said yes has too pick him. This happened to Dallas once with a 6th rounder named Miguel Savvedra (which I am spelling off the top of my head).

I misssed Garey being out, I heard he was coming from a source close to Maryland. can you post the place you heard Garey was out?

But yes Camp is staying in shcool, I got that from "his people."

Watson confirmed to me he was in contract talks, but has not confirmed actually signing yet.

8. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I confirmed Garey was not coming out which was a change from my previous understanding, Sasho and Jason had a long talk and he's staying for his senior year. Personally I think this move hurts his overall future as a player but it's his decision, four year college players come into MLS and make nothing and often struggle to establish themselves with no guarantees. For players interested in a pro soccer career Project 40 is the only way to go if an opportunity is presented. Good luck to Jason is this decision.

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's pretty amazing considering how poor attacking outside backs are in MLS that no one would want those two as P-40s.

Who ever picks up Moor and Klaas will be happy, imo. I've seen Moor on many occasions and he's flat out going to be a good defender in MLS. I only saw Klass once, but he impressed me.

Terp I totally agree. As a P-40 forward he could make anywhere from 40-80K, as a senior 30-50K IF MLS deems him worthy of signing before the draft like Wingert was last year. Although Garey may just not want anything to do with MLS like Gregorio and White last year. Get his education and go overseas to a low level league somewhere and hopefully work himself up.