New Orleans Saints 2008

Discussion in 'Football' started by Boundzy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now that BigFootball has gone the way of the dodo, I suppose that I’ll post my inane ramblings about the Saints, the NFL, and LSU in this forum. Maybe all 3 of the other BigFootball regular posters will do the same.

The Saints had a terribly disappointing season last year, primarily due to defense, or rather, their lack thereof. Additionally, the offense lacked any spark. With Deuce out, the offence was all finesse and no attitude. This should change this year with a (seemingly) healthy Deuce back in the lineup, and with the recent addition of Jeremy Shockey.

Shockey has never been one of my favorite players, but he does have talent and can provide some attitude to the offense. Hopefully, though, he will not supply a bad attitude. I think he will come in to the season thinking that he has something to prove, which will benefit the Saints. If he is able to produce on the field and not be a distraction off the field, the 2nd and 5th round selections in next year’s draft will not have been too steep a price to pay.

2. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    On paper, it is a good fit. The Saints definitely can get more from the TE position. They are probably looking for an Antonio Gates type level of impact on their offense to help Brees and the run game.

There are two draft picks I'm interested in- Sedrick Ellis and Carl Nicks. Last I heard they still hadn't signed. Do you think they can help this year?

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with that head case. I'm certainly over him.

4. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are still unsigned, as is 2nd round pick T. Porter, CB, Indiana. Nicks should be the next signing. The other 5th round pick, DeMario Pressley is signed, as are the 6th and 7th round picks. After Nicks, the focus will change to Ellis and Porter.

I think Ellis can - and will expected to - start and make a difference on what was a relatively poor defense last year. Nicks will not have that pressure. I'm reasonably confident that he'll make the squad, but he isn't likely to see much, if any, playing time unless there is an injury to the OL.

Sean Payton wanted him, Sean Payton got him. If Shockey doen't fubar the offensive chemistry on the team, he'll be an asset. That is a very big "if."

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's funny. T.O. fubars the chemistry of every team he goes to whenever he doesn't get what he wants and no one really complains. Shockey does it in one city, and gets treated like a virus. There's only one team I hate almost as much as I hate the Videotapers, and that's whatever team T.O. plays for. It's just a damn shame every team can't be like Pittsburgh- above the fray and full of players of honorable character.

Did the Giants give Shockey a ring, or did they kick him to the curb without doing so?

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, the Giants are one of those class teams like the Steelers. Matter of fact, we were able to transition one of your head cases into a stand up professional. There is a "Giant Way" and has been since the 20's. Even if you are an off the field disaster like LT, a Giant still plays that way. Shockey did not want to follow the way. Well, toodles. If you want to be a cock on the field and play in NY there is a team in green for you.

TO is horsehit and so are the Cowboys

[youtube]21KLynZRnc4[/youtube]

And yes, Shockey got a ring.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, you guys got tradition and class, I'll give you that. And I'll always be grateful that you beat the Videotapers. I get so god damn tired of hearing about the Patriots- it's even worse than all the hype the Niners got in the 80s. Kids today need to learn that:

There is a dynasty of dynasties, and Its name is the 70s Steelers.
    There is a coach of coaches, and His name is Chuck Noll.
    There is a quarterback of quarterbacks, and His name is Terry Bradshaw.

Amen.

Joe Montana never called a play in his pro career, and neither did Tom Brady. The two of them combined might -might- equal Dan Fouts or Fran Tarkenton.

Plaxico Burress wasn't really a head case in Pittsburgh- he was just there at a weird time. We were a very good team but couldn't afford to keep anyone because we were still playing at Three Rivers, and so we developed and then sold. It was a sad, sad time, capped off by Rosie O'Donnell throwing the Super Bowl away to the Cowgirls. I think it affected everyone.

I still wish the Rooneys would sell the team to someone who was willing to spend the way Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder do.

Hey, don't be hatin' on Broadway Joe's team (Roooooll, Tahd, ROLL!!). He was a cock on the field and off it- just ask Suzy Kolber.

Good. I do think he deserved that much, no matter what people thought of him.

8. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    It looks like Colston finally got paid, he deserves it. What do you think about Anquan Boldin? Should the Saints pursue him?

9. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be in favor of going after Boldin. The Saints are fine on offense now. If more help is needed, it is on defense.

10. sof2xlc

sof2xlc New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Boldin's to expensive. on the other hand i am running a keeper league for fantasy football http://www.fleaflicker.com/showLeague.do?leagueId=13290. it is free. made up of mostly saints fans. it is kinda competitive so expect some saints talk and trash talk

11. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Does anyone have an opinion about Caleb Campbell, the Army player who was drafted by the Lions, but now won't be allowed to play?

12. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Saints beat the Cards 24-10 last night in Arizona. The offense looked good on the opening drive, and the defense looked a bit shaky - quite reminiscent of last year. However, it's way too early to start making judgements. Thankfully, there were no major injuries.

Next up: Houston travels to NO on Saturday, August 16 @ 7PM (CST).

13. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saints 24, Bucs 20

Saints: 1-0

Other than the 2nd quarter malaise, The Saints’ offense looked very good. Brees had an outstanding game. Shockey had a nice game, especially considering that he did not get any game-time in the preseason.

Surprisingly, Bush had a solid outing, also. Bush needs to prove that he is worth the draft pick and money spent on him. He has shown flashes of above averageness, but all-too-often he jukes and stutter-steps for no gain, goes down with the first hit, and generally doesn’t seem to have “it.” To date, he has been underwhelming; not bad, but certainly not meeting with expectations.

More surprising than Bush, the Saints’ defense played reasonably well, kept the Saints in the game when the offense was sputtering, and, most importantly, they actually stopped a team when it mattered. If the Saints’ defense is average, the team will be exceedingly difficult to beat. The offense will score points, but the defense needs to get a few stops.

So far, so good. An opening day win at home against a division rival is always welcome.

Next week: Saints @ Redskins

Saints-O-Meter:
    I Don’t Like Ike

14. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saints 24, Redskins 29

Saints Record: 1-1

The Saints looked like the same team that started last season so poorly. No running game, spotty passsing attack, and a defense that gave up, rather than made, the big play. In the off season, the Saints improved their defense, but it looks like more improvements are necessary. The offense needs to shoulder some blame, also. At the end of the game, the offense needed to string some plays together, get a few first downs, let the defense rest, and sap some of the momentum that had swung completely to the 'Skins. Didn't happen, though.

The loss of Closton was big. The Saints need to establish the pass to loosen the defense for the run. Without Colston, the passing game was not enough of a threat to open holes for the run.

Next week, the Saints play at Denver. This is not promising for the Black and Gold. The Sainst' only hope is for the offense to 40.

Saints-O-Meter:
    Glorious Mediocrity!

16. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saints 32, Broncos 34

Saints: 1-2

Great effort on the comeback. Down 21-3, it looked bleak for the Saints. However, I was starting to believe that they might have a chance. A 43-yard FG at Mile-High is very makeable. I didn’t think Gramatica would miss the FG. I thought that he would make it, but that Cutler would lead the Broncos down the field and win the game on the last play. Such is the life of a Saints’ fan.

The Saints have had shoddy FG kicking for several seasons and don’t appear to be willing to do anything about it. They seem to think they can just pick someone up and stick ‘em in at kicker, regardless of their recent history.

Next week, the 49ers come to NO. This is a game that the Saints’ need to win, if they want to maintain any realistic hopes of reaching the playoffs. There is a world of difference in the NFL between 1-3 and 2-2.

Saints-O-Meter
    Slicing Into the Doldrums Like a Gramatica FG

17. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    You really think so? I wouldn't write them off even with a loss, they still have some games that look easy on paper (KC, Oakland, Det) and the division isn't that tough. Still, at home against a fair but not great Niner team, I agree that it is a game that a playoff caliber team must win. The Niners might just end up being a contender for the same playoff spot, so the Saints need to treat the game as if it was a divisional matchup.

18. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A loss certainly makes a playoff spot less likely. But you are correct that the Saints are in a weak division and could overcome a 1-3 start . . . assuming continued mediocrity from the rest of the division.

19. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saints 31, 49ers 17

Saints Record: 2-2

I'm starting to belive that Brees is a pretty good QB. :D

Without the Saints' #1 WR (Colston) or #1 TE (Shockey), Brees managed to make the WR corps looks like All-Pros. Some of the deep balls were sick. The return of Deuce was a big lift, both psychologically and physically. Having Deuce on the field makes the whole offense, and Bush in particular, better. Not that offense is the real problem with this team.

The defense, while vulnerable, did make some big plays - holding the 49ers to some early FGs instead of TDs, and getting 2 picks in the end zone. Maybe the defense was more lucky than good, but the defense needed some luck, and maybe that luck will turn into confidence and attitude, which the defense has been lacking.

Next 3 Games: Vikings on MNF, Raiders, @Panthers.

Saints-O-Meter:
    Partly Cloudy with a Chance for Sun in the Afternoon

20. bige(redbulls)

bige(redbulls) New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    wow you know im a saints fan more than the next 1 but i also work for them too they pay my bills but this is a soccer site can we act like it . Any new orleans soccer fans?

21. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saints 27, Vikings 30

Saints Record: 2-3

Well. Yes. Umm. Okay . . .

That was a pretty ugly game from a Saints' perspective. Plenty of blame to go around, but the most telling stats are: 4 turnovers and 11 penalties. When a team has almost twice as many penalty yards (102) as rushing yards (55), it does not bode well.

However, despite the stupid penalties - way too many false starts and defensive offsides - and turnovers, the Saints, mostly on the back of Reggie Bush, had a chance to win at the end. Like the end of the Denver game, That Damn Gramatica missed a FG (46 yds) that one expects a NFL starting kicker to make. Wasn't even close.

Used Gramatica for sale. Cheap. Free Shipping.

Next 3 Games: Raiders, @Panthers, Chargers.

Saints-O-Meter:
    Bad Case of the Gramaticas